Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: let's talk tractors

Default let's talk tractors

seeing someone ask about a part for a MX10 got me to thinking....i need a bigger tractor.

what would you yahoos consider the "ideal" hp for a tractor for "hunt club" usage? planting duck ponds....dove fields...food plots, etc.

you can name brands if you want. It doesnt have to turn into a battle over green paint vs red paint.

I saw around the midlands somewhere the "no interest for 60 months" but i cant remember what dealership it was. i think it was kubota.

not to SPAM but anyone that deals in tractors....hit me with a PM.

and anyone that sees a lot of USED tractors and knows what they are talking about...let me know. Is there such a thing as a personal shopper for used tractors?

run with it...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I'll get you what you need. I will pm address. Send check for $28,492.14. I will deliver tractor personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

In my opinion, 50ish hp is ideal.

It's not too big, but will still do work with some of the larger implements that make your life easier at the "hunt club".

The 30-40hp stuff seems a little small and the 60+hp stuff gets a little big pretty quick (plus the price tag goes crazy quick).
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I think the ideal tractor for that type of use, would be a 40 hp, 4WD, with a front end loader.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

You will NOT go wrong with a Kubota. Mine is built simple like an old 8N and that's what I love about. Never had one minutes trouble other than the RPM gauge doesn't work. If you decide you want something in the 37hp range let me know. Mine will soon be up for sale.

Btw, how many acres you talking about their ol Toofy boy? That in my mind would determine what size you may need/want.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 07-18-2012 at 09:12 AM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Let's not and say we did and you get back to work handing out toothbrushes and floss since you're good at that.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

I would say the 50hp range 4wd with front end loader.

The hunt club had ~1200 acres and 2 are in the 35hp range I believe with only 1 being 4wd. The higher horsepowered tractor is only 2wd so if it gets stuck we have a problem because the other two struggle to pull it out.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

We run a 2011 cab 50hp 4wd kubota with a front end loader. It's done everything we have ever asked it to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

If your talking about using it at BG, then that is definately more than hunt club use. Small to medium farm is more like it. I'd go with 50hp 4WD of course. Then I would get a loader with a 4in1 bucket. I don't know how I lived without a 4in1 bucket.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Case magnum 340...it should do everything you need.

12 months 0% interest right now

2th...got just what you need!

http://scducks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92615

In my opinion it would depend on the lay of the land. Meaning is the areas on your club tight or are they wide open and can you get around pretty good with a bucket on the front? In my opinion a 50hp Kubota with a 4-in-1 bucket will do the job. Everything after that is showing off!
    Non Supporting Member

In my opinion, if you already have a 30 to 40 hp range tractor I would go to 65-70 hp 4wd w/ loader. Especially if you have much acreage to plant. You need something that can easily pull a heavy pull behind hydraulic disc and field cultivator, and possibly in somewhat wet conditions. Just remember if you can't get it done when it needs doing, your fucked in this business.

The best deal this time of year is at Derrick Equipment in Ridge Spring, SC or the Kubota dealership in Newberry.

These two dealerships lease tractors to peach farmers for the summer. The farmers turn the tractors back in at the end of July. The dealership will still give you interest free financing and the remaining warranty on these used tractors.

For instance last year we purchased a JD 5075E in September. The tractor had 200 hours on it but the dealer took 7,500 off the new purhase price. We got the interest free financing and the warranty.

The dealers will be able to offer 45-75 HP tractors with or without 4wd. They will add a front end loader if you want one.

These two dealerships are the only dealers that can offer this deal.

Lane Rogers is the salesman for Derrick Equipment in Ridge Spring. He will take good care of you.

PM me if you want more info.

Wendall is who I deal with at Wilsons in Newberry. I stop in about once a week just to look at their used stuf. They may have a lease tractor on the lot now, but I'm not sure.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

50hp ain't cutting it... period.

He is talking about close to a hundred acres of dove fields, duck ponds, food plots, and this and that.

G

I also think a 50hp range 4x4 with a front end loader is ideal for this type work. If you don't have a ton of acerage.

We have a 50hp Kubota with a front end loader. Has done everything I have asked it to do so far. Bought it for like $8500 with 350ish hours on it. Should of been 10k-11k.

When I did natural resource work I ran a 52hp John Deere 4x4 and a 60ish with a cab. Either one was a breeze pulling a disc harrow and grain drill.

Pro Tip- Get a front end loader no matter what. It will amaze you how much you will use it and all the purposes it can serve.
    Last edited by ProvidenceSwamper; 07-18-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Shit, what size is the broke down piece of shit they got at BG now?
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Quote Originally Posted by G3JD, IV View Post
    In my opinion, if you already have a 30 to 40 hp range tractor I would go to 65-70 hp 4wd w/ loader. Especially if you have much acreage to plant. You need something that can easily pull a heavy pull behind hydraulic disc and field cultivator, and possibly in somewhat wet conditions. Just remember if you can't get it done when it needs doing, your fucked in this business.
    ^THIS^

G

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Shit, what size is the broke down piece of shit they got at BG now?
    Which one?
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"