Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lung shot or neck shot?

I am a fan of the lung shot, but always have some yahoo say "Bo, I neck shoot em under 200yds"
    Anyone else find that irresponsable?
    Republicans were created in the image of God, but I do believe that Democrats descended from apes.

I find either neck or lung shot irresponsible if you are not extremely competent at either. Many people can make a neck shot at several hundred yards under the proper conditions. The responsible hunter will not take any shot that he is not ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that he can make. That means knowing your limitations.

Hell; if you are comfortable with a neck shot at 1000 yards, I say go for it. If you are not comfortable shooting a neck at more than 50 yards, I am thankful that you know your limitations.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

tradorion Coots

Unless one has NEVER missed a deer i do not see how anyone could be "ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN" of 100% kills....

I am a big fan of neck or shoulder shots... and absolutely HATE a lung shot... anything that does not drop them in their tracks is beyond my comprehension.

Worried about the cape? Get a better taxidermist.

T

Ditto what S&A said.

I shoot them in the mid shoulder and they don't seem to want to do much after it hits them. The last thing I need is a wounded deer running off when I have a 45 minute drive ahead of me. Go with what you know, I guess.

SOmebody has to be more than an excellent shot to be taking neck shots at 200 yards. Just because the bullet hits the neck does not mean it is down. That is too small a target at that range for a responsible shooter. A paper target at 200 yards is one thing but a deer is another.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Lung shot at 80 yards. Tucked the bullet in close to the front leg as possible.

Click on the multimedia box above Doe kill

Kill shot
    More fuel = more boost!!

don't deer hunt so i don't really have a nutria in this fight, but when that lung fills with blood the deer will stop.
    Well, I\'m not a gynecologist but I\'ll take a look.

I've had more luck with neck shots. Bleed out quicker.

KRT First of all good shot!

Now, you very well may have had damage to the lungs with that shot, but the most damage was to the spine (on initial impact). The doe "balled up" the hind quarters then fell over. If it was a mostly "lung" shot then she probably would not have fallen on the spot.

No matter, with a shot such as that, it is definitely the way to go. You don't lose any that don't run off and it keeps the "trailing" down to three feet... straight down!
    \"If you make men think that they are thinking... you will be loved. But if you truely make a man think... he will hate you\" Theodore Roosevelt

Has anyone ever had a neck shot not hit anything vital? Meaning, is it possible for the bullet to go through the neck and not be a kill shot?

geech it is possible to hit in the neck and not kill ive done it. I like trad want to c them drop. on a doe with in 100 i shoot for the head if u miss u know she lives if u hit u know she is dead. on a big buky i shoot for the shoulder never the neck.

I have had a very bad experience with neck shots. I have a buddy that I was hunting with who shot this nice buck in the neck. But he shot a little low and for the next 3 1/2 hours we crawled through the swamps of wambaw hunting unit. He only cut the deer throat slightly very little blood and the deer could still run for short distances. We kept ripping the deer up I started take pot shots at him. I ended up shooting the deer in the ass one time, in the gut one time and finaly in the front shoulder. Very eventful morning that ended about 1500 yards from the truck but very nice "Goverment Buck".

I am personaly a "top of the front shoulder" kind of guy at any range.
    Doin' what I do best! STRAIGHT KILLIN'

2010 SCDucks Deer Champion
    2010 SCDucks Turkey Champion
    2007,2008,2009, 2010 NBK Deer Killin' Champion

ALL deer should be shot in the shoulders.

why even shoot AT a deer's head just to see if you miss or not? don't you want him/her dead and on the grill?

shoot 'em so they drop...pin the shoulders.

cuforester--when you come to whack does with me and cutem, you best not miss. ask cutem what the payment is....and how long we give him shit...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Bad shot placement will not kill a deer any more dead when aiming at the heart lung area than it will anywhere else. Granted, you have a bigger target with the shoulder/heart/lung shot. Every now and then you hear of a deer lost because of a bad hit in the neck - much less frequently than those shot in the heart/lung/shoulder though.

I shoot a neck shot if the conditions are right because I am color blind to red - unless it is VERY OBVIOUS. Since my blood tracking skills are not good, and the cover I hunt is thick, I will take a neck shot if the situation is right - if it is not, I either will not shoot or take a heart/lung/shoulder hit.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I heard there is a fella on here that likes to shoot the horns off of bucks [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And that same fellow can flat out shoot too...
    Will Rogers

Originally posted by Sasha and Abby:
    And that same fellow can flat out shoot too...
    Did that same guy take a bullshit shot at a pig off a 4 wheeler?
    More fuel = more boost!!

No; that was a yippy ka yea mutha fucka, cowboy action shot...
    Will Rogers

2th im ready and up for the chalenge. Besides what is the payment for missing. Cut em will catch hell when i see him if u never miss with a shot gun how in the hell do u miss standing still with a rifle more than likley proped up on a shooting rail unless there was some [img]graemlins/drinky.gif[/img] involved. Cut em i demand an explination.