Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10k Runs

Default 10k Runs

What are decent 10k times?

I ran one last week and one yesterday. Running for completion, I averaged 9:00 minute miles so roughly 56:20 times for both. I feel like I could step it out more so whats a good goal?
    Last edited by walt4dun; 07-12-2012 at 09:00 AM.

I would say under 50 minutes for a course with some hills, maybe 49 if flat. This assumes you are a pretty good runner.

If you are not a natural distance runner, anything under 55 minutes is good.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

My 5K times are pretty decent - I can pull off 21-22 times, but I've got unfortunately short legs which kills me for any real distance running. My mudrun time was 1:17 which was 5.2 miles with a ton of mud and ostacles to slow you down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

I did the bridge run a few years ago. It is the only race I have ever done. My goal was to do it in under an hour. My time was 56:02. I was pleased. I should have kept on running because I ended up gaining the weight back that I had lost. Pretty bad ass experience. I would love to do it again some day.

Anything under an hour is good in my book.

Cameron Hanes runs 10k in 36 and change. 6 min mile for 6.2 miles. Insanity!
    Last edited by everlast; 07-12-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

This whole thread has me feeling icky.

I've never ran a 10k but feel I'd be pretty good at it.

Sorry to bring the slime out bro.

I'm taking CrossFit to the next evolution. Basically, cross training in everything that sounds twisted.
    Last edited by walt4dun; 07-12-2012 at 11:40 AM.

It's okay. I feel ya.

If you subscribe to the journal there was an article posted not long ago about this very topic. Bottom line it is easier for sprinters to transition to distance than for distance runners to go the other way. Sprinters have the strength and work capacity to run long distances, you just have to slow them down. Distance runners, however lack the strength to sprint period. Good article whether you accept it or not.

Drink water and do 1/4 mile sprints with 1 minute cool down between the sprint.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Roger. In the program.

In addition to my WOD I am doing 8x400s this evening.

Top that off with 100 burpee's 10-4
    More fuel = more boost!!

I've had it pretty light this week all considering so I can add in the 100 burpees this evening too. I didn't do anything but run yesterday and just yoga Tuesday.

How bout you KRT? You do been doing the CrossFit thing for awhile? Havent noticed you post any here.

The Army standard for a 4 mile run is 36 minutes. Extrapolate that out to 6 miles - 54 minutes.

The average American can't run a 9 minute mile period, so to do it for 6 miles is pretty good.

I ran my first half marathon on Sunday - I finished in 1:59:02. The course was at 3700 feet altitude or higher, so altitude was a definite factor for me. I'm hoping to run a 10k before 1 August to gain a spot on the Army South "Army 10 Miler" team. I figure I need to beat 42 minutes to be competitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post

How bout you KRT? You do been doing the CrossFit thing for awhile? Havent noticed you post any here.
    I wrote the book on crossfit

Did you add the 100 burpees?
    Last edited by KRT; 07-13-2012 at 06:43 AM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Yeah. I broke them up in the 8x400s.

I did a set of 20 burpees to start off;
    then ran a 400, rested 60 sec, did 10 burpees, rested 30, ran the next 400, repeat.

Try lowering your rest time between the 400's
    More fuel = more boost!!

Where does all this hate in your heart come from?

lol....hell if you're really a bad ass then do 25 burpees on the cool downs.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Hell just run, If you want to get faster you need to have a mix of long runs and short fast ones. Track ladder workouts are good. Start at 200 then 400,600, 800, 1200,800,600,400,200. Get about a 1/2 or 1 whole lap of recovery between. On your long day be sure to do something over 6.2 miles. Go with a 8-12 and go slow for that long run dont try to kill yourself.
    I love Defenseless Animals... Especially in a good gravy<br /><br />When I wake up in the morning I piss excellence