Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Mater Pie

Default First Mater Pie

Well thanks to LowcountryBuck and Geetch, I set out to make my first pie today. Kinda mixed their recipes a little.
    Precooked the pie shell for about five minutes at 350.
    3 and 1/2 peeled and sliced tomatoes ( I ate the other half while I was waiting) Drained for 15 minutes or so
    about 3/4 cup of mayo (dukes light)
    7 leaves of basil
    1/4 green onion
    little over 1/2 cup of vidalia
    Mozzerella on bottom and sharp cheese by eyeball.

The flavor was amazing on it. I can tell by the empty pie pan left on the counter. But I don't think I got it completely right. Either too much mayo or didn't let the tomatoes drain long enough because it came out a little "wetter" than I wanted. Gonna experiment a little this sunday with cutting back the mayo and see how that goes. Anybody ever tried adding like a crumble or something similar on top of it? I was thinking italian bread crumbs or something toasted on top would be a nice little touch? Little help?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Maters go on paper towels before they go in the pie.

Quote Originally Posted by duckcrazed View Post
    Maters go on paper towels before they go in the pie.
    Now why didn't I think of that.. I had them in a colander the whole time but the paper towel thing probably would help a lot right before I put them in the pie.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Now why didn't I think of that.. I had them in a colander the whole time but the paper towel thing probably would help a lot right before I put them in the pie.
    Salting them in the collander is what will drain them the best. Trust me.

Good eats! Once you make a few, you'll hit the right combo to suit your taste. Nice job.

Only on tip , less water equals more fat.

Adding more fat to anything is good.

Thought I'd throw up a picture

Bacon, where's the bacon?

I gotta try one this weekend on the Egg.Never heard of mater pie til I got on this here site.Re bacon,layered up inside, on top or eat on the side?
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Dukes Lite?? Try heavy.

By the way, I think Dukes is better in homemade ranch dressing than Hellmans. Seems more consistent in the outcome.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

I'll be making another one on Sunday. With the bacon on the side. I am gonna add some bread crumbs on top if get around to it. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Bacon throughout and on the side ......OOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!! I just had an idea....

I'm beginning to side with Highstrung on this deal about you guys stuffing bacon in erry damn thing.......but do me a favor, if I show up with one of them fancy shooting hats, someone smack me....
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue

I use 1 3 oz can of hormel bacon bits per pie

Quote Originally Posted by tkohn View Post
    I use 1 3 oz can of hormel bacon bits per pie

Highstrung just got a Glenn"like" eye twitch

Fuck Purdue

Mother fucking puss bucket.. Call that damned thing a BT pie or something, it ain't a mater pie.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Mother fucking puss bucket.. Call that damned thing a BT pie or something, it ain't a mater pie.
    This

Fuck Purdue

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Bacon throughout and on the side ......OOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!! I just had an idea....
    When I said bacon on the side I meant bacon as a side item. Not in the pie. I like the way the tomatoes taste just fine.

Bacon, eggs, maters, onions, cheese, cholua.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    When I said bacon on the side I meant bacon as a side item. Not in the pie. I like the way the tomatoes taste just fine.
    My masterpiece ain't shit to do with neither.....and it won't be in this kweer ass forum y'all got going on here neither