Thread: Pull Ups - Dead hang vs Kip

Default Pull Ups - Dead hang vs Kip

Im thinking the dead hang is best for conditioning upper body vertical pull strength.

The more I think about it, the more I think I am just done with kipping all together.

Discuss.

I dead hang more often than I kip. My kip form is not bad, but on the high rep WOD's I notice my kip form fading and exposing myself to potential injury. last time I kipped was memorial day Murph and pretty sure I did something wrong on that as my shoulder was more sore than usual for a few days. Unless, you're a fire breather, who has a legitiment shot at winning the games, I see no need to kip once your form starts to go. I do beleive that kipping is a totally different exercise than the deadhang and engages different muscle groups that do not see as much work as the dead hang, and will continue to incorporate them for that reason, but will stop when my form begins to suffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

I hate a kipping pull up. But I do them. Not often and I damn sure don't to that over extended rip your shoulder out bullshit.

Kipping is more full body and functional. But little hip drive is all you need. Dead hangs will make you stronger and I have seen people so hell bent on learning to kip that once they did they actually became weaker as a result of the movement, meaning their dead hang max reps went down.

I try to save kipping for high volume stuff and competitions. Otherwise I'm doing dead hangs and using assintance bands when I hit muscle fatigue.

My opinion is that if you can't do 5-10 straight dead hangs then you have no business trying to kip.

I have found the slower you take to go down from the pull up, the easier it is to build up for more pull ups. Take it slow with good form and you will build up what you need.
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569