Thread: New gun ideas

Default New gun ideas

Looking for some ideas on a a new gun. Wanting to get either a o/u or sxs. Not looking for anything fancy it would be a duck gun so getting wet, dirty and bumbed around everynow or then will happen. What are some ideas pros and cons on different guns.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Each to his own but why would you want an O/U or S/S for a duck gun. The recoil will punish you with stout shells.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I shoot an o/u occasionally for ducks and CWPINST is right, it'll kick your fillings loose. Mine is a short barreled quail gun and is only chambered for 2 3/4" shells. If you get one, get a gun that is designed for duck hunting and has some heft.

CZ makes a pretty good gun for the money, 20ga is all you need.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    ...Wanting to get either a o/u or sxs...
    I you're planning on duck hunting with it, I've got two things to say about that; 8 pounds and recoil pad.

I shoot high-speed 3", 1 1/8 ounces of steel at 1,560 fps and it is about as much as I can stand in an 8 pound gun but I'm not a huge guy - 6" even and 199.4 lbs (had my physical last week).
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I've got a like new cz canvasback 12g o&u with 26" tubes I've been thinking about selling. Second owner, shot one round of sporting clays and had it in the dove field for an afternoon. Cleaned it, put it back in the box, put in the safe with intentions of selling it but never got around to it. Let me know if you are interested.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

To each is own.....that is the best way to put it, I shoot a sxs shooting doves and love it, my buddy shoots o/u, me personally, I don't like the o/u. But I'm not use to it either. Its all what you like.

dfasano check your pms

Gun would not be primary gun. I just enjoy shooting over under, have shot a few side by sides and liked them.

I fullfilled my dream last and brought my o/u to South Dakota to shoot pheasants. 3 days of pheasant loads cured me of ever wanting to bring it to the duck blind.

O/U's have their place... Upland and traps. Like said before, get something with a lil heft to it. I shoot a plain jane Benelli Nova (8lbs) and put a limb saver recoil pad on it. I can shoot 3-1/2" BB's all day. I can throw it in the boat and not worry about it.

Like i said its not an everyday gun and for everyone that says they beat you up how many shots are you taking? I have an browning citory that was passed down to me used it to shoot duck never had a problem with the kick just don't like that particular gun as a duck gun. Just looking for other options.

Cz or franchi for what your wanting...that is the only two guns worth a shit in the lower price range

I shoot an old Citori as my primary duck gun. Factory recoil pad, 3 inch shells, never had an issue with recoil.

A pump gun is really no different when it comes to recoil assuming they weigh the same. If you wan a 2 barrel gun, find one with a bit of heft, make sure it fits reasonably well and get a good recoil pad. Then practice before the season with that gun on some sporting clays.

My picks for a gun would be a citori, SKB, Beretta or winchester 101, I'm not fond of the turkish guns on the market. Don't select light upland gun and get something with longer barrels. I consider 30 inches a minimum just because they swing better for me.

I'm also not a fan of side by sides. They look cool and have nostalgia but in real world efficiency they tend to be more difficult to master not to mention more expensive to find a quality gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    A pump gun is really no different when it comes to recoil assuming they weigh the same. If you wan a 2 barrel gun, find one with a bit of heft, make sure it fits reasonably well and get a good recoil pad. Then practice before the season with that gun on some sporting clays.

My picks for a gun would be a citori, SKB, Beretta or winchester 101, I'm not fond of the turkish guns on the market. Don't select light upland gun and get something with longer barrels. I consider 30 inches a minimum just because they swing better for me.

I'm also not a fan of side by sides. They look cool and have nostalgia but in real world efficiency they tend to be more difficult to master not to mention more expensive to find a quality gun.
    Do they still make an SKB?
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Yep. http://www.skbshotguns.com/ Great guns and excellect customer service. They use the same lockup at the Beretta DT10 but much less costly.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    Yep. http://www.skbshotguns.com/ Great guns and excellect customer service. They use the same lockup at the Beretta DT10 but much less costly.
    I have one under the Weatherby moniker and I really like it. It fits me well and is quite rugged. No problems with the firing pins yet......which seems to be their only weakness that I know of.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

They are damn fine guns for the money. I shot a TSS for a while. The firing pins are the only problem Ive ever heard of. Theyre fairly cheap and easily replaced with the right tool.