Thread: Finally

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Finally

My inlaws keep asking me what I wanted for Christmas and I couldn't think of anything so I said I'd like to try fly fishing. I wake up Christmas morning and they have me G Loomis Rod with a Ross CLA. Feel kind of guilty that I am just breaking it out but gonna hit up the river tomorrow.

have fun and watch out with the forward casts with that clouser...you screw that up once

Before you develop bad casting habits that you'll struggle to break later, get a book or two on casting. Lefty Kreh has a few out that are very easy to read and understand. He also includes general fishing tips that are invaluable. Little things can make a big difference.

I've fly fished for years and still find it frustrating at times but when you're in the zone and things go right, it's a really elegant way to catch a fish. I hope you get as much pleasure out of it as I have.

You need to practice holding your rod in your mouth and taking pictures of yourself.

Watch where you fish. That fly, in certain stretches of the rivers may land you a ticket if you're seen catching striper schoolies. it's a great smallmouth fly, but it it's hell on LITTLE stripers. As Bug said, enjoy. On calm days, late in the evening, it is THE way to fish.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I should be up Fornoff not having to worry about catching stripers. If I'm bass fishing and I happen to catch a small amount I'd be pretty pissed if I ended up getting a ticket. I understand what they're trying to do but I'm not going to not fish because I'm worried about catching a striper.

Well I give myself a D- for my first trip. Killed them on the baitcaster though. Gotta love the days where you lose count.

It's going to be like learning to bow hunt.....you have to just leave the rifle at home. Leave that baitcaster at home and make yourself use the willow wand water thrasher.

WOW talk about a hell of a first Rod!!

Good on you for trying. I know that fly fishing has made me more aware of depth control and fly/lure movement. Keep with it and leave your conventional tackle at home a few trips. You know you are getting good when you can't remember the last time you got skunked. Also, usually the difference between a lot of fish and no fish is one split shot or managing depth incorrectly.