Thread: Wader help

Default Wader help

It aint as long as it has been till the good ole season is here. Trying to start getting my stuff straight again and i need new waders. I been wearing neoprene but now im looking at breathables. I wanna know the goods and the bads of them......how warm are they, how tough are they. Most of my hunting is at the lake, but i do enjoy hunting divers so im always kicking and stumbling on stumps. I also enjoy the woodies in the swamp lol. No body i hunt with has them so im gunshy of being the test dummy. Any input will be very much help.

I didnt have a good experience with the breathables that I had. They leaked like crazy and would fill up with air like a baloon which I didnt understand if they are "breathable." I sent them back and traded them for a pair of Neoprene and havent had a problem since. They were MPW brand. The Neoprene that I have now are MPW Big ditch and they are awesome. Might have just been the brand of breathables because Ive always heard good things about them.
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

Quote Originally Posted by muddman View Post
    I didnt have a good experience with the breathables that I had. They leaked like crazy and would fill up with air like a baloon which I didnt understand if they are "breathable." I sent them back and traded them for a pair of Neoprene and havent had a problem since. They were MPW brand. The Neoprene that I have now are MPW Big ditch and they are awesome. Might have just been the brand of breathables because Ive always heard good things about them.
    Thats actually the brand i was looking at, they discontinued the ones they had out last year and have new ones coming out this year. But filling up with air in belly button deep water would not be good.

My pop's has the lacross breathables and loves them. They are going on there 4th season of pretty tough hunting. He has found his layering sytem that keeps him warm even on the coldest days. I think his only complaint would be the leg/crothch/top length, he is 6'4'' and thay are a little short for him. But I have worn the macks breathables and they are super uncomfortable, the boot was rubbing me half way up my shin, and the seems were rough.

I have had the Lacrosse Swamp Fox breathables and they were great and extremly light. Walking in them long distance was very easy. They lasted for 3 seasons before I finally poked a hole in the boot. I now have the MPW breathables and like them just as good. My only complaint is the boot size. They changed from a small sized boot to a larger boot style last year. They seem to be alot tougher than any other breathables I have seen.

Mind you I keep a pair of neoprenes for colder hunts where I will be standing in the water the hole hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by SCH2Ofowler View Post
    I have had the Lacrosse Swamp Fox breathables and they were great and extremly light. Walking in them long distance was very easy. They lasted for 3 seasons before I finally poked a hole in the boot. I now have the MPW breathables and like them just as good. My only complaint is the boot size. They changed from a small sized boot to a larger boot style last year. They seem to be alot tougher than any other breathables I have seen.

Mind you I keep a pair of neoprenes for colder hunts where I will be standing in the water the hole hunt.
    ^^^ That was one of my biggest concerns. Standing in knee deep water or deeper is most of my hunting

Cabelas...they are great. Keep you warm unless it's freezing out

Cabellas breathables with a pair of insulated pants for the really cold mornings. Running on four seasons and haven't had the slightest of problems. Breathables are the way to go around here. You'll thank me come early teal season.

I've worn my cabelas breathable from fl to ak. buy a pair large enough to allow you to layer underneath. Ill never wear neoprene again
    "Lord prop me up in all my leanin places"

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    I just like saying Dik Dik

I have had both however the breathables do not stretch, or at least the ones i had from Lacrosse. So when I was siting down running the boat, they were fighting with me and also had a similar issue when bending down etc. Other than that, they were as advertised and i also felt that the layering adn the ability to go very light in early season was nice.

I have the Drake MST's now and can tell you they are the most comfortable I have ever worn. Nylon reinforced knees and butt along with nylon gaitors at the boot/leg connection. developed a leak after the second season, i called Drake to get some guidence and within the first two minutes offered me a free exchange which I did two weeks ago. So I have a brand new pair just waiting for the season. Good luck, MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

I have the frog togg breathables, I am happy and haven't gotten cold in them. I will layer when it gets cold. Get you some of the Military Polypropolene underwear and it will be toasty
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

I have the Macks breathables and the Drake breathables and would definately recomend the Macks. They are half the price of Drake and are a little taller. Both pair developed a small leak in the crotch but was easily repaired with a dab of silicone. I wear an extra layer of bottoms if I'm going to be wading/standing in deep water and have never had a problem getting cold, even up north.

I have the Cabelas breathables and have not had any problems with them. I bought some fleece pants to wear underneath them and have been plenty warm. I havent had any durability issues yet either and I take them through the swamp and other places where there are plenty of stumps and logs to deal with

I have had the Cabela's for over two seasons now, and do not have any complaints. Even wear them occasionally for work. Damn neoprene in the summer time.

I dont have much to say about the breathables but I got the MPW big ditch waders last year and I'm not a huge fan, they are real bulky especially in the chest. The basic cabelas neoprene waders are the best I have found.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    My pop's has the lacross breathables and loves them. They are going on there 4th season of pretty tough hunting. He has found his layering sytem that keeps him warm even on the coldest days. I think his only complaint would be the leg/crothch/top length, he is 6'4'' and thay are a little short for him. But I have worn the macks breathables and they are super uncomfortable, the boot was rubbing me half way up my shin, and the seems were rough.
    Same height, same waders, same report. Excellent damn waders!

Quote Originally Posted by casey79bronco View Post
    ^^^ That was one of my biggest concerns. Standing in knee deep water or deeper is most of my hunting
    You do realize that water you're standing in on the cold days is warmer than the air the rest of your body is exposed to, don't you? Hell, on the really cold days I try to get as MUCH of my body in the water as possible due to it's insulating factor.....Don't let your brain warp reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Same height, same waders, same report. Excellent damn waders!

You do realize that water you're standing in on the cold days is warmer than the air the rest of your body is exposed to, don't you? Hell, on the really cold days I try to get as MUCH of my body in the water as possible due to it's insulating factor.....Don't let your brain warp reality.
    I didnt think about that, now thinking back the only foot that got cold last year was the one that had the leaking leg.