Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nat Gear Paint - Swamp Bottom

Default Nat Gear Paint - Swamp Bottom

Guys,

I did a little searching and looked through some boat projects, but I'd like to get a few more pics all in one place so I do a little more debating.

If any of you have painted your boats in either of these two patterns, can you post a pic or two with the actual paint color/brand you used?

I will definitely be using D's Tee's for stencils. I just want to get all my ducks in a row.

I think all those patterns look like one big blob.Notice the military doesn't use anything remotely close.Its all big blob patterns.Instead of looking at others boats..look at pictures similar to where u hunt.
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

I narrowed down the pattern I want to two. I am specifically looking for color variations of the two. I don't plan to actually hunt out of the boat as it's not set up for it. I just want a change of color and camo is the route I want to go. I'll be toting a sneak boat or carrying burlap/camminettiing to cover the boat and hunt from the edge like I usually do.
    Last edited by carolinaboy06; 06-19-2012 at 08:49 AM.

check out the pics under the "stencil" section at www.redlegcamo.com. There are also pics on ebay.

Preciate it D. I did that the other week, but I'm color blind and I'd like know exactly what the color scheme will look like before I order paint. (I'd like to see a few boats and know exactly what colors were used so I can base my decision off of that. )
    Last edited by carolinaboy06; 06-19-2012 at 08:52 AM.

look at the thread "new paint job" it shows a boat i just painted for watereeman, and my boat is in the background with bottomland. I must say that i like the nat gear pattern better and also it is easier to paint, (only one stencil compared to 2)
    Last edited by Stumpknocker; 06-19-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks Stump, both look great. I think I am leaning towards nat gear more and more(look wise and like you say, 1 less stencil), but I think I want a darker base coat than what y'all used. What paint did y'all use for watereeman's boat?

base coat-parkers dead grass, Stencil- Dark brown camo spray paint, If you need help painting let me know don't mind helping out i like painting boats.

base: Sherwin williams KEM 400. Color is cobblestone brown stencil: major brown brownish orange: not sure but i can find out

same as above without brownish orange:

base: lock stock barrell #28 dead grass green Brown stencil: Dark brown krylon rattle cans

base: LSB #28 Dead grass green Stencil 1:krylon dark brwon Stencil 2: flat black
    Last edited by Redleg Camo; 06-19-2012 at 09:02 AM.

carolinaboy, i really like the Cobblestone base and major brown colors. That's what most of the builders use in Ark.

That Edge is one bad ride, my friend!

[QUOTE=D's Tees;1133351]base: Sherwin williams KEM 400. Color is cobblestone brown stencil: major brown brownish orange: not sure but i can find out

I believe this is the winner winner, chicken dinner!

base: lock stock barrell #28 dead grass green Brown stencil: Dark brown krylon rattle cans

Sorry for being a pain in the ass, I just don't want to have to paint the boat twice because I didn't choose the right color. Thanks D!

Quote Originally Posted by D's Tees View Post
    carolinaboy, i really like the Cobblestone base and major brown colors. That's what most of the builders use in Ark.
    I like this much better than the dead grass green as well...

I have been holding off painting mine b/c I haven't seen anything, until now, that actually looked like Natural Gear to me.

I may be giving you a call soon...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Ight, I'm definitely going to use the Cobblestone KEM 400.

Has anyone ordered it before or know where the closest SW Chemical Coatings Company is? I searched around online, but I can't find one.

I read on another forum where they ordered their KEM 400 directly through Gator Trax.

Carolinaboy I like to use 2 diffrent colors for my base layer,gives it a military camo look for a long range type camo, then use a stencil using multiple colors over the base to give it close range detail. I feal like the one base coat just looks to much like one color at long distances. Thats what I did with my shadow grass stencil. Ill try to post up a few pics later. Just a thought.

But your right, D's boat looks killer!
    Last edited by JBK; 06-19-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    I haven't seen anything, until now, that actually looked like Natural Gear to me.
    Most people (including a lot of "professionals") that attempt to do this pattern put the stencil colors on way too dark. In order for the paint job to look like actual nat gear, the stencil colors must be put on lightly so that you can see the base coat through it and create a "ghost" effect. This is achieved by holding the paint can about 12" from the stencil while spraying. Not doing so, results in hard, blocky edges that look nothing like nat gear.

I'll keep this in mind.

Paint that fuckin motor... Wtf???
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

You don't just paint those motors, sir.

WWJD? He'd slap you in the mouth for painting that motor... That's what he'd do.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO SNOB View Post
    Paint that fuckin motor... Wtf???
    Ever heard of a motor cover?

I ain't painting a damn motor for it to lose value.

What would a duck do???? See that shinny ass motor and fly on by

Why even paint the boat??? that motor may as well be blaze orange.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.