Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CCLeeeeeeroy

It actually took me less time to get proficient with a trumpet than a mouth call, it's all in how much you practice and what grade trumpet you run IMHO. Let's hook up at the river again Tom will come and I know a few others as well, and tell Stevie to bring the pickled asparagus and we'll get Tom to bring the duck sticks!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I will drink Harts share of the brown juice, and I gotta get into this trumpet game. Let's make this happen
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I can come to Columbia, (but prefer not to)......start looking at the calender.... the BBMSC is always available... limited number of bunks in the A/C..... that's important in June and July around passin out time...

We keep enough fish in the freezer to feed an army of skinny hippies and I have a "few" Gobblers in the freezer too....

June 30???? I promise to bring no more than 25 trumpets.......
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

With some heads up a head of time I could make it b/c I'm one of those that are wanting to get a trumpet call too

Nitro, If I put in an order say ....now, would I have the caller before the season next year so I could practice with it a bit to get the hang of using it? Just curious really, either way I think I'm going to place an order. Going to need some info on how to go about ordering one too I suppose.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

I'm not exactly skinny but folks have said I'm a hippy......

I can do June 30. I mean it this time.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I bet you I could knock out half of those spurs for your spur chain too

We don't mind if'n you self-treat your glaucoma....

Scott, whose calls intrigue you the most??? If you "know a guy", the line gets blurry,,,,,
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I know you......

So a Buice would please you??? Next time you cross the river, call and we will go.. I will take a personal day....It's worth the effort.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

OK let me see if I can work a trip across the river into my work schedule in the next few weeks

Corporate offices being in Roswell and all I'm thinking something can come up pretty soon

Roswell is maybe 40 minutes from Mr. Buice..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

My gps sometimes veers off course
    Last edited by GobblerHntr; 06-17-2012 at 09:37 PM.

I'm down for June 30th...I will bring 2 trumpets, both are Buice's, and both are deadly!
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

30th works for me!
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

First off, I've got to get a good quality trumpet. I made two from wingbones of birds I shot two seasons ago, and the variation in sound between the two was very surprising. I'd love to get a good quality trumpet (I can't afford a collection at this point, but one quality trumpet would be nice) that I can learn on.

Second, I'll agree with what Ricky said it's not that hard to learn to call on a trumpet, but learning to sound like a turkey is a completely different story. I got a bird to gobble a couple times with one of my wingbone calls this spring when he wouldn't answer anything else in my vest, but I wasn't proficient enough to seal the deal with it. I have a feeling it'll be a couple years before I'm proficient enough to use one regularly, but when I am you can bet I'll use one almost every morning. It is the most fun to use call I have.

I have lots of success stories using a trumpet call (and some not so successful), but the best recent story is one of a "Named" gobbler that had been hunted by a really skilled hunter for 13 mornings. Bird would hammer it on the roost and hit the ground and stick...He was called to (with great skill) by my friend with everything but a trumpet...

I was called to assist and on the 14th morning this Gobbler was dead about 10 minutes after flydown.. Double beard with 1 3/8inch spurs..

A trumpet can make one die..when nothing else has..After that little demo, My buddy has now converted to a trumpet and has killed 6 in the last two years with a trumpet call...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Default A little history...

On call origins...

I highly recommend getting a copy of Howard Harlan's book if interested. It's a wealth of knowledge on the subject.

www.customcalls.com/turkeycall_history.htm
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I talked to Mr.Buice for over an hour yesterday. Never gets old talking to him about calls and the last 40 some odd years of him building them. My Ironwood call will be here next week...Can't wait!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    I talked to Mr.Buice for over an hour yesterday. Never gets old talking to him about calls and the last 40 some odd years of him building them. My Ironwood call will be here next week...Can't wait!
    I done trained it..

Wash it out good. (Unlike Mr. Billy, I DID NOT have a dip in when I ran it.) Thank God (and Mr. Billy) for interchangeable mouthpieces.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.