Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CCLeeeeeeroy

Default CCLeeeeeeroy

Went to Billy's today...

Ran your Ironwood call. My new one is #269. Yours is#270.... awesome grain and figure on yours... Billy ran the caller and proclaimed it "death"

You will love it....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nitro5x6's; 06-16-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Rick,

Here are two that followed me home -

Curly Koa - screw in mouthpiece

5.5" short call in Tulipwood (awesome call)
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Those are nice!
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

Nitro, your killing me posting all of these trumpets. The more and more y'all talk about them the more and more I want to try one.
    Great looking calls...
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Here are a couple photos- takes a serious wad of hundies to own..

Gutpile got to run a trumpet call made from elephant ivory...
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by DMP View Post
    Nitro, your killing me posting all of these trumpets. The more and more y'all talk about them the more and more I want to try one.
    Great looking calls...
    Sheeeit, all it takes is some green paper...

Feast your eyes...........
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Sweet!! Can't wait to get mine and chat with Mr. Billy....thanks for picking one out for me!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Wow, that last set of pics is just amazing!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Sweet!! Can't wait to get mine and chat with Mr. Billy....thanks for picking one out for me!
    Honestly Rick,

Your Ironwood call has much more grain and figure than mine. It is iridescent and truly is a gorgeous call that the photo can do no justice to....

We saw some awesome calls today. You need to cross the river for a visit.

Check out the photo of the matched set of Black and White Ebony- Billy's matched sets are constructed from one piece of lumber and the end grain does in fact "match".. all I could do not to buy those two calls..

Unreal call maker. We had a blast with him and will be going back soon..
    Last edited by nitro5x6's; 06-16-2012 at 11:00 PM.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Wow, that last set of pics is just amazing!
    That is only a small sample of his inventory- many of them are sold.. he is in demand.

We saw some mouthpieces that were as unique as the calls themselves....
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Y'all have got to stop posting this crap. I am already up to my eyeballs in turkey calls and am yet to get trumpet #1. Stop it.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Y'all have got to stop posting this crap. I am already up to my eyeballs in turkey calls and am yet to get trumpet #1. Stop it.

These are works of art. A Buice custom trumpet is a masterpiece. There is a difference...
    Last edited by nitro5x6's; 06-17-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Trumpets are a whole different world, his especially IMO.

I have about 55 or 60 of Billy's trumpets. Y'all need to buy a few more.

Bob
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Does beating your dog make you feel good about being a poor trainer?

Quote Originally Posted by BOB_HARWELL View Post
    I have about 55 or 60 of Billy's trumpets. Y'all need to buy a few more.

Bob
    I am Mr. Bob....... the rest need to quit slacking.

Yer name came up in conversation yesterday...
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Trumpets are a whole different world, his especially IMO.
    How much do these trumpets differ from the sound of a traditional wingbone? I've made and hunted with wingbones in the past but never a trumpet. I'm also getting more intrigued at each of these posts.
    Last edited by HartClemson99; 06-17-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Hart,

I have been hunting with and killing birds using a trumpet for over 25 years..

Here are my thoughts and experiences- I'm sure the "turkey experts" here may disagree..

1. A wingbone is a good call, however due to the varying sizes of the bones and the internal diameter differences between hen bones, jake bones, Gobbler bones etc, the sound can vary all over the map.

2. A well designed trumpet call from someone who knows how to build one will be more consistent. The operator can controls the air through the call with more precision. A great call can make you a good caller. I have spent a bunch of $$ finding out who can make a trumpet and who cannot.. My list of who can has about 5 guys on it.

3. All of the "suction" type calls require a much higher level of skill to operate than any other caller out there. A Trumpet is probably equal to a wingbone in that regard. A man who has put in the "Due Diligence" running a trumpet will sound like a turkey in the woods, not like a man running a turkey call. Know this, on a trumpet, your errors in operation are magnified greatly, however just like a real turkey, just keep forging ahead and make the next series of calls realistic and flawless..

I keep mouth yelpers and trumpets in my truck and on my desk year round. A man cannot be too proficient with his calling..

I enjoy using the old school type calls as my Mentor was a big air operated call enthusiast.. I still have his Buice.. it killed a bunch of Gobblers.

For me, I went full circle and came back to the trumpet calls so I wouldn't sound like every other guy in the woods. Most hard headed Gobblers that have survived a few seasons haven't been called to with a trumpet ... I think of mine as my not so secret weapon.

I cannot purr on one, but I can do every other call with realism.. Ricky Padgett and I have called enough around each other to know we aren't the best, but we are good enough.. (and we are consistently trying to improve).. You stand in the woods about 50 -75 yards from either of us and decide whether or not a Trumpet is a realistic caller....

Set me up for a FL hunt in March and I will bring you a call and a few hours of free instruction - either at the river in Bamberg this Fall or in FLin March.

Best, AG

Quote Originally Posted by HartClemson99 View Post
    How much do these trumpets differ from the sound of a traditional wingbone? I've made and hunted with wingbones in the past but never a trumpet. I'm also getting more intrigued at each of these posts.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Hart,

Set me up for a FL hunt in March and I will bring you a call and a few hours of free instruction - either at the river in Bamberg this Fall or in FLin March.
    Awesome! We can make that happen! Thanks for the tips...I'm now in the market to buy a few.
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"

Quote Originally Posted by HartClemson99 View Post
    Awesome! We can make that happen! Thanks for the tips...I'm now in the market to buy a few.
    Send me a PM and I will save you some headaches and some money....I will give you my short list of who to send $ to and who to avoid (IMHO)..

Pro Tip- those with wait lists have a list for a reason... (however, some craftsmen can fill your order now due to inventory).....not every guy with calls falls into that category...clear as mud ain't it.....

My best strategy would be this - buy a call from a reputable maker and practice with it for 10-15 minutes a day until March. By then, you will be competent enough (and confident enough) in your own skill to hunt with it instead of just carrying it around your neck...
    Come to the river and we can get Ricky and a few others- run some calls drank some whiskey and I will cook something..
    Last edited by nitro5x6's; 06-17-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Come to the river and we can get Ricky and a few others- run some calls drank some whiskey and I will cook something..
    Let's get it on the books! I'm staying away from the brown water until July 1 trying to knock out this Lyme Disease, but I'll be picklin' my liver again starting July. I'm sure Boozer would join us. I'll bring a bottle and I have plenty of breast meat from this season!