Thread: Huntin' Hurricanes

Have any of you hunted during weather like this? [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I have not had much of a chance to hunt this season with all of the storms, and a never ending honey-do list... so I have to make the most of any chance I get
    I was going to go this morning, but a tornado was in the process of rolling across my club so I decided work was a safer bet
    I am thinking that the deer will take any chance to feed in this kind of weather, but figured I would throw the question out to y'all.

They have to feed sometime... I never see much when the wind is above 10mph. There is supposed to be higher than that today and tomorrow. Tell us how it was. I would wait on a better day...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Go now!! Some folks I know have killed their biggest deer during extreme downpours. The experts will say clear days are best and they may be. But you will never know sitting at home watching Opra.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

your chances of killing a deer increase exponentially if you actually GO! i can guarantee you that nothing but brain cells will die if you stay at home...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

[img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

Back about 15 years ago Texas A&M studied radio collared deer for a few years to relate movement to weather. Mostly the normal, front caused movement kinda stuff. But, one interesting thing was this: winds between about 10-20, no movement, winds over 20 or so and consistantly mature bucks moved. The stats were very definite, and I have told many frinds of the article, of which 4 have since killed their biggest bucks in really high winds. I don't have the discipline to sit in that damn wind, the stats just fade away when I sit in that strong wind.

From my experience in quite a few hurricanes, the deer will move with EVERY break in the weather between cloud bands. I saw it in Floyd, Bonnie, Dennis, Isabel, and in Cahrlie a few weeks ago. When the rain breaks they hit the feilds. I have killed two in Hurricanes myself, or in the heavy rains that followed. Good luck.
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck