Thread: Tentative seasons and bag limits

Liberal Seasons Across All Flyways

29 July 2005 Contact: Nicholas Throckmorton,
    202/208.5636
    Waterfowl Hunting Season Proposed:
    Liberal Season for All Flyways

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is proposing hunting regulations for the upcoming 2005-2006 waterfowl season similar to those set last year with a few exceptions. The proposal again contains restrictions on harvest of canvasbacks because of continuing concerns about population status as well as a reduction of one scaup in the daily bag limit per flyway. Given the increase in pintail numbers this year, the season for pintail has been restored to a one bird-per-day bag limit all season for the Atlantic, Mississippi and Pacific Flyways.

Under the Service’s late-season frameworks proposal, hunting season lengths will be 60 days in both the Atlantic and Mississippi Flyways, 74 days in the Central Flyway, and 107 days in the Pacific Flyway.

"Overall, the habitat and populations of key waterfowl species are sufficient to justify the hunting opportunity these regulations afford,"
    said Acting Service Director Matt Hogan. "All flyway councils joined the Service in supporting these regulations."

Estimates of canvasback numbers were similar to last year and the Service will continue last year’s restriction. Seasons for canvasbacks will be 60 days in the Pacific Flyway, 39 days in the Central Flyway, and 30 days in the Atlantic and Mississippi Flyways.

As the breeding population for pintail is up, last year’s shortened season for pintail has been replaced with a one-duck bag limit for the entire season in three flyways. At the request of the Central Flyway, states will be offered a 39-day pintail and canvasback season to complete a 3-year evaluation of this option for reducing harvest pressure on these species.

The scaup population estimate has experienced a significant long-term decline and this year’s estimate is the lowest on record. The Service is
    proposing to reduce the daily bag limit by one bird in all flyways. The
    Service and Flyways may need to consider additional restrictions in the future if these trends continue.

“Given the continued long term decline of scaup, it is important that harvest on these birds be reduced,” said Hogan.

Restrictions on the harvest of black ducks in the Atlantic and Mississippi Flyways that have been in place for a number of years will continue.

This proposal will appear in the Federal Register for public comment and on <http://migratorybirds.fws.gov> soon.

Highlights of the proposed late-season frameworks follow.

Atlantic Flyway: Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia

Ducks: A hunting season of not more than 60 days (30 days for canvasbacks) between September 24, 2005, and January 29, 2006. The proposed daily bag limit is six and may include no more than four mallards (two hens), two wood ducks, two scaup, two redheads, one black duck, one pintail, one mottled duck, one fulvous whistling duck, one canvasback, and four scoters.
    The season on harlequin ducks is closed.

Geese: For light geese, states may select a 107-day season between October 1, 2005, and March 10, 2006, with a daily bag limit of 15 geese and no possession limit. For Atlantic Population Canada geese, the season this year will allow portions of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Vermont and New York to hold a 45-day season between the October 22, 2006, and January 31, 2006 with a three-bird daily bag limit. Delaware, Maryland and Virginia (except Back Bay, Virginia) will be allowed to hold a 45-day season in Atlantic Population areas between November 15, 2005 and January 31, 2006, with a two-bird bag limit. Back Bay, Virginia, and the Northeast Hunt Unit of North Carolina may select a 15-day season between January 14 and January 31 with a one-bird daily bag and a one bird per season, respectively. In Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Long Island, New York, a 60-day season on North Atlantic Population Canada geese is proposed between October 1, 2005, and January 31, 2006, with a three-bird daily bag limit. Special or experimental seasons and regular seasons to harvest resident and other populations of migratory Canada geese are authorized in Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.
    For Atlantic brant, the season length may be 30 days with a daily bag limit of two.

Mississippi Flyway: Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Tennessee, and Wisconsin

Ducks: A hunting season of not more than 60 days (30 days canvasbacks) between September 24, 2005, and January 29, 2006. The proposed daily bag limit is six and may include no more than four mallards (two hens), three mottled ducks, two scaup, two wood ducks, two redheads, one black duck, one pintail, and one canvasback. The proposed daily bag limit of mergansers is five, only one of which may be a hooded merganser.

Geese: Generally, seasons for Canada geese may be held between September 24, 2005, and January 31, 2006, and vary in length among States and areas, with daily bag limits varying from one to three. States may select seasons for light geese not to exceed 107 days with 20 geese daily between September 24, 2005, and March 10, 2006; for white-fronted geese not to exceed 72 days with a two-bird daily bag limit or 86 days with a one-bird daily bag limit between September 24, 2005, and February 12, 2006; and for brant not to exceed 70 days with a two-bird daily bag limit or 107 days with a one- bird daily bag limit between September 24, 2005, and January 31, 2006. There is no possession limit for light geese.

Central Flyway: Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, and portions of Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, and Wyoming

Ducks: Duck seasons may be held between September 24, 2005, and January 29, 2006. In the High Plains Mallard Management Unit (roughly west of the 100th Meridian), a 97-day season (39 days each for canvasbacks and pintails) is proposed. The last 23 days may start no earlier than December 11, 2004. A 74-day season (39 days each for canvasbacks and pintails) is proposed for the remainder of the Central Flyway. The proposed daily bag limit is six and may include no more than five mallards (two hens), two redheads, three scaup, two wood ducks, one mottled duck, one pintail, and one canvasback.

Geese: States may select seasons between September 24, 2005 and February 12, 2006 for dark geese and between September 24, 2005 and March 10, 2006 for light geese. In the East Tier, states may select a 95-day season for Canada geese, with a daily bag limit of three. In the Eastern Goose Zone of Texas, the State may select an alternative 107-day season with a daily bag limit of one. For white-fronted geese, states may select either an 72-day season with a daily bag limit of 2 birds or a 86-day season with a daily bag limit of one bird. In the West Tier, states may select a 107-day dark- goose season with a daily bag limit of five birds. In the Western Goose Zone of Texas, the State may select a 95-day season with a daily bag limit of three dark geese (including no more than one white-fronted goose).
    Colorado, may select a 95-day season with an aggregate bag limit of three.
    For light geese, all states may select a 107-day season with a daily bag limit of 20 and no possession limit.

Pacific Flyway: Arizona, California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and portions of Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, and Wyoming

Ducks: A 107-day season between September 24, 2004, and January 29, 2006.
    The proposed daily bag limit is seven ducks, including no more than two mallard hens, two redheads, three scaup and one pintail. Canvasbacks will be limited to one bird daily and open for only a 60-day period of the regular duck season.

Geese: 100-day seasons for California, Oregon, and Washington, with
    outside dates between September 24, and January 29. Basic daily bag limits are four light geese and four dark geese, except in California, Oregon, and Washington, where the dark goose bag limit does not include brant. 107-day seasons, with outside dates between September 24, and January 29 may be selected in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming. Basic daily bag limits are four light geese and four dark geese. Other restrictions vary by State and zone. For brant, the season lengths are 16 days in Oregon, eight days in Washington and 15 days in California, with a two-bird daily limit. Washington and California may choose seasons in each of two zones.
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS

Here is a GREAT reply from a TX dude for all those that think we need a shorter more restrictive season.

If you don't like it, lead by example! (duck seasons)
    I kind of have my panties in a wad over these arm chair biologists that seem to think they know more than the biologists that set the seasons, count the birds, etc. Those that spend countless years in school learning age old techniques that have proven themselves. All I see is people bitching and complaing about long seasons because they don't see birds on there places. Regardless of whether they have overhunted the areas, have become lax in keeping these areas in top quality, or these areas were never great to begin with because they are not in a flyway and the birds have long since been blown off the area. These people want to look for some conspiracy in it all. Some are good frineds of mine and others I don't know, but the message to them all is the same.

I have seen post after post about what a travesty it is, how "if they have another liberal season, then we know it's all about the money", how the guides and outfitters are to blame, etc. Oh yes, and my favorite, the USFWS wants to keep the seasons long to get more moneys from stamp sales. That one just kills me! Are ya'll for real? Do you people really understand the extent that plot would have to undertake? Just how many people would be involved? Don't you think with that many people, someone wouldn't agree and would spill the beans on it? That those in the gov't agency that truly do care about the sport might step up? In a round about way I blame those in DU and yes even some of those Delta for pushing this frenzy. It's a way to increase donations if people feel everything is mismanaged. It's a good selling point! It makes people feel like they are taking the reigns by giving a little more to organizations.

Guess what, it's all BS. Rumors start and perpetuate, and take on a life of their own. Just like the DU pouring out corn excapade I still here about. The ducks are there. Counts show that! The proof is there ON PAPER in front of you. The problem is, is there anything moving them? Are warm conditions up North keeping the birds up where hunting pressure is light? Most likely the way I see it. The few birds that do come on down and move with these piddly fronts are quickly educated by people that skybust and couldn't hit a duck to save their life! There's another problem you can put your fingers on. Something everyone witnesses out in the field and can attest to. Skybusters, not guides and outfitters, are ruining this sport. Do I belittle them? Somewhat! But I do something many do not. I teach them there are better ways. I tell them about how we hunt and the success it has. I tell them that all I need to kill a duck is 2 3/4" #6's, and the success I have at that is shown by the 200 or so birds I kill in a normal season, even with many days lost while guiding and not shooting.

When I see a problem, I attack it head on and try to do what I can to solve it. This is what I am asking you naysayers to do for the good of the sport. I may very well be wrong, but I am not convinced of that. I believe you guys are wrong. Here is your chance to prove it to me. If you feel that the limits and season length should be lower. If you feel the bird pops are in trouble, and birds like pintails and cans should not be harvested. If you are one of those guys that gets ****ed when you see we are having another Liberal season. If you are one of these people, I ask you to do somethng. Simply practice what you preach!

That's it, nothing special. Just do it!

If you truly belive this stuff, practice it. Take no more than 4 birds as a limit. Operate under a 45 day season. Don't go out the first month. Open your season the last 45 days of the season. Lay off those birds YOU feel are in trouble. Don't rely on Gov't to do it for you. That's the liberal way out by saying you are not disciplined enough to do it on your own. Prove everyone wrong! Show the success or lack thereof in your areas if you adopt this strategy. Afterall, you are asking the USFWS to do it contrary to their data. Step up, be a man, take life by the horns, and git 'er dun!!!!!

Somehow I think this will resort to personal attacks and alot of pointing fingers, but what else would I have expected when I simply ask you to practice what you preach. The proof is there according to you guys, so reach out there, grab it, and PROVE IT to US!!!!!
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

TX dude, WELL SAID!!! And once again I say AMEN!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Skybusters, not guides and outfitters, are ruining this sport. Do I belittle them? Somewhat! But I do something many do not. I teach them there are better ways. I tell them about how we hunt and the success it has. I tell them that all I need to kill a duck is 2 3/4" #6's, and the success I have at that is shown by the 200 or so birds I kill in a normal season, even with many days lost while guiding and not shooting.[/B]

He's a nicer guy than me. Don't get me wrong, I have heard my dad tell people cut from the same cut of cloth that you don't need big shells and fancy shit to kill birds, but the conversation was covered in red pepper and hit the mark.

Are warm conditions up North keeping the birds up where hunting pressure is light?
    Funny that the yankees up north are'nt see the numbers either. So who's hiding them?

Skybusters, not guides and outfitters, are ruining this sport.
    I can agree with the skybusting but guides have done there share of damage too.
    80-20 Genaration

Chap, I must say you are the man! Killing 200 birds a season means the minimum days in the field would be about 35 with a limit every day.

TD,

The dude killing 200 ducks was someone from Tx in Sushi's post.

Chap just made a mistake using the quote bottom.