Thread: Yak fishing

Default Yak fishing

Going to bring the new yak down to Murrells Inlet this weekend and try to get on some flounder/trout/reds. If anyone has any gps coordinates they would like to provide it would be mutch apppreciated. Seriously, Im guessing im just going to put in and try to get back in some skinny water and stay away from the crowds. Any other suggestions?

Put in at the oyster drop off, keep your shit locked up tight in your truck though!

Its just passed Murrels towards Pawleys on the left.

advice....dont fish MI go fish PI or somewhere else.......however if u do fish the south end of MI and drop off at oyster landing......

Be careful!! I have found kayak fishing to be addictive as all hell!! I fished the Jacksonville Kayak Fishing Classic on the 12th and ended up placing 13th out of 406 anglers in the speckled trout division. I was on my way to a top ten finish in the redfish, flounder, and trout slam division but couldn't get a legal flounder to save my life!!! A 12" flat fish would have put me at 57" which would have been good for 6th place.

I highly recommend this tournament for anyone that kayak fishes. They gave away 15 kayaks as prizes and raffle drawings. As well as an untold number of other prizes. Something like $36,000 in prizes given away over the two days!!! The tourney benefits the down syndrome society of Jacksonville. It's the biggest fishing tournament in Florida!!

Also check out the IFA tourneys. They have an Atlantic Division that fishes Charleston, Savannah, and one other venue up there.

Not to mention all the online tourneys like 321fish.com, KayakBassFishing.com (owned by a Moncks Corner boy, Chad Hoover), kayakSC.com, etc.

Lots of interest these days in kayak fishing and kayak tournaments due to sky rocketing gas prices and the slow economy. Kayaks are relatively cheap to buy, free to operate, and maintenance fees are almost nonexistent!! I'm loving the hell out of my Hobie Pro Angler and will likely be picking up a Hobie Outback next spring at tax time for fishing offshore!

Good luck this weekend
    Last edited by Ring King; 05-22-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by WetReed View Post
    Put in at the oyster drop off, keep your shit locked up tight in your truck though!

Its just passed Murrels towards Pawleys on the left.
    Heard this place is a little sketch. Just bought a new ride. Not sure I want to leave it there.
    Last edited by b35w; 05-22-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Pawleys definately.

Never been to Pawleys. I'm guessing there is a public landinding.

check pms

Looks like it may be state park fishing for me. Decided not to bring the yak.