Thread: Huge River Corridor

Deal to keep S.C. land wild forever

State will purchase 39,000 coastal acres

By JOEY HOLLEMAN

jholleman@thestate.com

In the largest land conservation deal in South Carolina history, two national groups announced Tuesday they will purchase nearly 39,000 acres of timberland, including 46 miles of river frontage — and hold them for the state.

The two tracts, in Marion and Hampton counties, don’t offer the soaring mountain vistas of Jocassee Gorges, the most noteworthy previous such deal in the state.

But their coastal plain forests represent some of the most environmentally sensitive of the hundreds of thousands of acres in the state being sold off by timber companies.

What happens to that timberland will shape the state’s future.

“This is not just about flora and fauna and wetlands,” Gov. Mark Sanford said. “This is about how you strengthen the quality of life in South Carolina.”

When the state takes control of the land, the 25,668-acre Woodbury tract in Marion County and the 13,281-acre Hamilton Ridge tract in Hampton County will be open to the public for hunting, fishing and other recreational activities.

The Conservation Fund and The Nature Conservancy will pay International Paper $50.4 million for the two tracts, then hold them until the state comes up with the funds to buy them. About $32 million for the eventual state purchase could come from legislation, signed into law Tuesday, that allows the S.C. Heritage Trust to borrow based on its future revenue.

The S.C. deal coincides with similar agreements on 173,000 acres in other Southern states announced Tuesday, including 70,000 acres in North Carolina. International Paper chairman and chief executive officer John Faraci said the company teamed with conservation leaders to determine the most important of its lands to protect from development.

The forest products company sold the two S.C. tracts — with nearly 27 miles of frontage on the Pee Dee River, 11 miles on the Little Pee Dee River and eight miles on the Savannah River — for about $1,300 an acre.

International Paper had private bidders who would have paid more, said John Frampton, director of the S.C. Department of Natural Resources.

The state has talked about buying the land from timber companies that have owned the Woodbury tract since the 1970s. Only in recent years have the timber companies begun to sell off their land, comfortable that private timber growers can meet their needs.

The Department of Natural Resources pushed for the Heritage Trust bonding bill so the state could take advantage of this once-in-a-century sell-off.

In the past, the Heritage Trust has used its share of proceeds from real estate documentary stamps to buy small, but significant, properties like the 120-acre Poinsett Bridge preserve in Greenville County and the 627-acre Congaree Creek preserve in Lexington County. Sanford referred to those as “postage stamp” properties.

The bonding law allows the agency to tie up about half its annual funds to make larger purchases.

“Nothing against postage stamps, but at the end of the day, you don’t have an ecosystem in a postage stamp,” Sanford said.

The Hamilton Ridge property abuts the Webb Wildlife Center, a 5,900-acre preserve owned by the Department of Natural Resources. Together Hamilton Ridge and Webb create a natural river corridor for wildlife nearly as large as Congaree National Park in Richland County.

The Woodbury property, one of Francis Marion’s hideouts during the Revolutionary War, is bounded by the Pee Dee and Little Pee Dee rivers. Not far downstream is the Waccamaw National Wildlife Refuge, which includes 20,000 acres protected from development. Together, they will provide safe haven for wildlife from the ever-expanding human population of the Grand Strand.

Reach Holleman at (803) 771-8366.

That's good to hear. Too much development going on anyway. Damn Yankees.

Couldn't you have seen it, a durn white legged Yankee fart with white tennis shoes, black socks and one of those stupid hats feeding dock-ducks in front of his condo on the Big Pee Dee. Bad visual image.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

JP - I assume it is safe to say you are not from north of South Carolina.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

thats real good to hear. i wonder how long itll take the state to get their hands on it.

so is it saying that it wont be open for hunting and whatnot until the state has it?
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Woodbury is/was a great big dog drive club. You probably won't be able to do anything until the state owns it.

Lot of big ducks use Woodbury from time to time......at least when they came to SC.

I have spanked them good down in that section from time to time.

I'll have to go back and look but didn't Henry Davis sight that track as holding the best strain of the eastern wild turkey in his book, The American Wild Turkey?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

SCTIMBER Coots

I'd personally rather the state get it's hands on the tracts than the Nature Conservancy. I personally hate to see the tracts get taken out of timber production, I don't know if the state will manage it for any but I seriously doubt it. Woodberry is a nice tract, and a long ways from Hwy 378 to the river, I'd love to own it but don't look like it's gonna happen. It's good though that it isn't going to be turned into a strip mall or something!

SCTimber - I know things can be twisted around but just because the nature conservany has it does that mean it is out of timber production?

Also - doesn't sound forestry management include timber production of some sort? Wouldn't the Nature Conservancy and the state want to do this? Of course that means no tree huggers are around.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

SCTIMBER Coots

rp, I agree that good forest mgmt. does include some kind of timber production, but I haven't seen the Nature Conservancy doing any lately, I mean they might do a prescribed burn every once in a blue moon but that's about all I've seen, I feel like the state would be the better owner even though from what I've heard at the current moment that they don't have the manpower to patrol the area. Who knows really what will happen though, guess we'll just have to see. I guess the one way I was looking at it is that I love to hunt, but the timber industry is also my job, so you see so many developments popping up everywhere, that land won't ever be used for timber production again, and when the Nature Conservancy or similar groups get there hands on a tract it's still in wildlife but most of the timber mgmt. is finished on it, mainly because of tree huggers. Which in my opinion are idiots, where do they think toliet paper and lots of other products come from that they use everyday. We've had them walk out throught the swamp and tear down the ribbon on lines that we've flagged. Just seems like a lot of tracts in general the industrial ones are getting changed over and the private landowner ones are getting smaller. The average tract of timber we harvest now runs anywhere from 20-40 acres, at least in my counties that I work. I mean there's still timber out there and plenty of people planting but more needs to be encouraged. So that one day it doesn't end up like the tobacco is currently.

BOY, ain't goin there. I love to hug a tree every so often
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"