Thread: Elk-fit

Default Elk-fit

Saw this article an got me to thinking.
    http://elkhuntermagazine.files.wordp.../elk-fit-1.jpg

Got a group of four planning a diy Colorado elk and mulie hunt and I am thinking of what kind of training to get the group on now. All are already in good shape and do CF style workouts but I want to add some 'sport specific' training.

For yall that have been, what did you do to prepare?

I am thinking of adding some rucking with our intended packs and gear on a stair master or a steep inclined treadmill, etc wearing boots and carrying the rifle.

Another thing, I am the only one with any long range rifle experience and I am about to join a rifle club with a 1000 yard range now that turkey season is over. My plan is to get these guys making consistent hits out to 600 with their rifles and practice at least once a month until October, then go every weekend in October before we leave. I will likely incorporate some of the range PT from militaryathlete.com to add a little bit extra to it.

We plan on doing this right and will be hunting hard for eight days.
    Last edited by walt4dun; 05-08-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Give these guys a look...

http://traintohunt.com/

They do a stregth biased WOD during late winter/spring with shorter metcons then transition to longer metcons with lighter weight/higher reps towards the end of summer to get their cardio/endurance up.

Do not think these type hunts are all about cardiovacsular function and endurance. Strength is just as if not more important.

Good deal. That article is written by a Traintohunt.com guy, Dan Staton. Its a good read.