Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FF Hen Houses for black ducks

Thanks GMAC, we need your help as well. I will be on Cane Island putting up 5 henhouses Saturday morning. I know that they have discovered md nests while burning late one year. They have made adjustments in their procedure since this happened one time. Time will tell on our efforts on the coast.

Boghole,

I pulled the SC banding data on blackducks harvested here.There hasn't been a banded black duck killed in SC in 5 years that came from Maine.

They came from Ontario,Quebec,New Brunswick,Pennsylvania,New York..........but not in large enough numbers to pinpoint a hotspot for SC.

I also pulled the Maine banding data for 1999(and could pull more).
    Their black ducks were killed in the following states/provinces;

Maine-9
    Nova Scotia-1
    New York-1
    Mass-2
    RI-1
    CT-2
    NJ-2
    Va-1
    Quebec-2
    DEL-1
    New Brunswick-2
    New Hampshire-1

thanks catdaddy, maybe not maine, i'll research some great lakes region. PM me if you can and send me the banding data from that area. or tell me the site and i'll see what i can scrounge up.

GMAC, thanks for your support. As Catdaddy said, Rhino and the group at Cane Island are doing a project for mottled ducks. You say that you are no expert, I am not sure that ANYONE is an expert when it comes to increasing mottled duck nesting success. Anything you can do will get us valuable information.

Bog, keep checking and let us know what you find. If you can find a target area we will definately look into it. We have plenty of tube cradles if you roll up some tubes. Holler at me if you need some.

Cat, that was very interesting about the Maine blacks.

Sounds good JAB.

Originally posted by JABIII:
    "Why is it that every year every idea to help waterfowl in SC is shot down by all the high-status "duck managers" on this site?"

Such as?
    You can answer all of your questions by looking in a mirror...

[img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img]

and why the sudden change in your sig line DB5? because NAB and JAB like to argue, you think the FF doesn't deserve your support? or did you ever pony up in the first place?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

2th, The FF has my support, I have contributed to the FF. I am seriously impressed with what you guys have done. About a month ago, i asked on the main forum when the next FF workday was, no one replied. I don't know any of you Anti-Nab's personally, and I hope yall aren't such assholes in person, but on here yall give him a real hard time, all he's trying to do is help. Why not help him to improve his ideas instead of stomping him into the mud?

My FF pic in my sig line turned into a red X so I took it off, my apologies.

Thanks DB5......don't let 2thless bother you.

Thanks for the help bog.I knew what a hen house was just don't seem like a whole lot of maintenance involed.I didn't know if it was broomstraw or something artificial.That answered my question.

Panther we attach ours with plastic ties so that each year our partners can quickly replace the worn ones with replacement units we hope to get to building at a work day soon...

db5 i agree, nab may not have his ideas formatted in an outline, but he does want to help, and alot of people put him down, and i don't think that is right.

Originally posted by DB5:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JABIII:
    "Why is it that every year every idea to help waterfowl in SC is shot down by all the high-status "duck managers" on this site?"

Such as?
    You can answer all of your questions by looking in a mirror... </font>[/QUOTE]

Mike Shurmir--FWS-Augusta,Maine
    Would love to help FF with HEN HOUSES.
    I talked with him and he is sending me info on specific breeding areas we should target.
    Will post progress.

db5-you wont find a post on here that i give NAB shit. i just think things need to be a little more definitive before i buy in.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

db5 - You need to be very careful when proposing new/improved projects. I ask you one question - would you listen to someone that winters 50,000 wild waterfowl or a refuge that has gone from huge numbers to token numbers. I will not give my time - money - support for something that has failed in the past and we have had little to no control/say so to see that things were done in a proper fashion. No one has shown that this control/monitoring is in place - Show a program to drastically reduce the deer have have devastated previous corn crops - show me a plan to improve dikes/water control structures - show me that the proper lime - fertilizer - weed control will be used - show me the ability to flood and a flooding schedule - show me ANYTHING! When this is done - you will see the bandwagon loaded - many of us are sceptical of throwing money and effort at the same thing that has failed and failed badly in the past. Credibility/accountability is a great thing - loose it and it takes miracles to get it back if ever! Listen to success - duplicate it - anything less is an effort in futility and should NOT be pursued!
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DUCKMAN:
    Credibility/accountability is a great thing - loose it and it takes miracles to get it back if ever!

how true.
    Well, I\'m not a gynecologist but I\'ll take a look.

To answer the original question, YES Delta is doing research for Black Ducks on the barrier islands of VA. This was taken straight from their site:
    Effects of Trapping Raccoons on Virginia Barrier Islands on Nest Success of Black Ducks, Shorebirds, and Colonial Waterbirds

In an effort to increase avian breeding productivity The Nature Conservancy of Virginia began trapping of raccoons on several barrier islands on the southern tip of the Virginia eastern shore. The trapping is conducted for an intensive period during the winter and early spring, but terminates before bird nesting begins in March. Brian will evaluate whether the winter/spring trapping of raccoons can increase nest success of three sets of birds – American Black Ducks, Willet and other shorebirds, and colonial nesting species such at terns, skimmers and gulls. Brian will compare a non-trapped island (Cobb Island) with the trapped island complex (Paramore Island). Metrics of concern will be numbers of nesting pairs, nest density, and nest success.

I'm not sure if any Hen Houses have been used yet in the project, but I can get the answer tomorrow.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"