Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future Outdoorsmen

i gotta tell ya'. No matter how much I bitch, moan, and complain about the trials and tribulations of parenting...and twins, at that...it sure does make me smile when i get to take my kids into the out-of-doors. No matter what Hummers says about it all being about "killing" it just aint that way to me. Seeing my kids enjoy a day wearing camo and digging holes, and picking up doves, and sleeping a good sleep in the truck on the way home...it aint all that bad.

Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Toofer you are a great dad, I have seen you in action. Keep up the great work bubba, those kids will have a TON of fond memories to look back on!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Amen, 2th!!

I think a lot of us remember times like that with our fathers. I know I do. My boy is almost 2 and we are already making memories - more for me than for him right now. Keep up the good work. We'll all benefit in the end.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

If it ain't about killing then why are you teaching them how to hunt? If it's just about being together in nature then just teach them how to take pictures, hike, swim, paddle. There are ten thousand other things you could be teaching them about the outdoors but it's hunting that you chose. Killing is just one part of hunting, but make no mistake killing is what makes all of us hunters, Otherwise you are just wildlife observers. I assume you are teaching them how to hunt because you feel that Hunting will provide life lessons that those other outdoor activities can't. What sepperates hunting from the other things????? KILLING or harvesting-for the sensitive hunters.

Nice looking Young men. I bet you can't wait until they kill there first dove or deer.
    It\'s better to burn out than to fade away.

sorry, hammers. i added that at the last minute to see if you were paying attention.

i was worried about one of my boys (the more sensitive one). i thought he might not like the dead birds...but i was relieved to hear him yell "Daddy! This one just blew a bubble out of his mouth...with blood!"

I knew we were gonna be OK after that.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good luck with um dock, and thank god everyday for them.

now i will get on my rant about killing. I might use the term "harvest", Hammers, because I understand that hunters are in the minority and I want to make sure I am able to "harvest" animals for years to come. I think its called "tact." If you love hunting so much, you might want to try to use some...

Killing an animal is a split second in the time spent "hunting." I want my boys to enjoy the chase MORE than the kill. Why? Because I want them to appreciate the animal that they persue. I want them to learn WHY that animal does what it does. i want them to learn about that animal to become a better hunter. When it comes time for them to kill their first deer, I want them to know that God put that animal on this Earth and that we are fortunate enough to be called upon by Him to "harvest" those animals. Will there be blood and guts and gore? yes. That is a part of the kill. I also want them to understand that we do NOT kill for sport. We kill those animals for food. If my boys ever shoot a robin with a BB gun in the backyard, you can be darned sure that they will be eating robin for dinner. (dont knock it. they eat good)

The Bible tells us that we are here to rule the animals of the forest. We have a special bond to those animals that we pursue that non-hunters dont have. People that don't hunt, just don't get that connection. I HAVE to hunt. Its in my blood. I would mentally and emotionally and spirtually shrivel up if not for the opportunity to hunt. Notice I didn't say "the opportunity to kill." I get immense satisfaction from knowing the animal I hunt....from knowing them inside and out...from KILLING them and putting them on the table...from saying a thankful prayer to Him over a small doe taken with the bow...for the opportunity to purse one of God's creatures and having the privilege to kill...or harvest.

Do I get all giddy during one of those hunts that we are able to fill the lanyard with ducks and pull the trigger a lot? You bet I do. Do I get this primevil sensation from the kill? You bet I do. But i also can see that it is a unique gift to be able to hunt....and its one that I will protect with all that I have...even if I have to use the word "harvest."

I told ya he was good people!

Toof is raising some good youguns!

just watch the one with the hachet.....

Damn TooF! You wrote that all by yerself???? Damn sometimes you amaze me with your hidden intelligence! Use it more often! [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Good comments 2th. I remember the 1st deer my oldest saw dead. He was 2-1/2. He walked away and got in the truck and said "that's bad". As a Dad, I see now that I was trying to push him a little too hard. 2 weeks ago (6 years old now) he watched my neighbor clean a 9-point in full velvet touched the heart, saw all of the guts etc. The boys mom asked him if he thought it was gross, he said no, its cool! He's come a long way and needless to say, I'm proud. Keep up the good work.

BTW - like the orange chair.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Damn JP I think I just teared up [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Seriously I see a bunch of great guys on here that are raising their kids right. My father was not a hunter but he did teach my brothers and I to love and respect the outdoors in other ways. Now my brother and I teeter on the edge of being obsessive hunters and we spend a great deal of time getting his boys into the woods. I look forward to doing it with my own children one day, until then I will just smile when I hear how much you and your children are enjoying it.

tradorion Coots

2fer- thank you- job security for me in one sense (as long as there are hunters there will be GW's) but the bigger thanks is looking at those pictures brought back a flashing string of memories-

muscadines, sausage biscuits, fried apple pies all picked up from Grandma's house when we also picked up Grandpa on the way to a dove hunt.

BB guns and cold drinks and sandwiches that just seemd to taste different (better) on a field or in a boat

i was lucky to have a dad that loved hunting and fishing and loved me enough to get me into it.

Good luck and God Bless.

T

Great job, teefers! And a good commentary as well. Send those boys up to us for a weekend and we'll hack out a decoy or two; hatchets are welcome (I have one you could use for shaving). Carving decoys is for me, just another avenue of learning how to better appreciate the ducks we all love to pursue. It helps a man learn to "see" instead of just "looking". And there's a world of difference between the two. Great job with the boys!

RugerAnnie Coots

Daddy use to take me fishing, and camping, he went hunting but I never went when I was younger, actually I didn't go until about 8 years ago when I met my husband. I've gone deer hunting and Turkey hunting. I've been successful with the deer part, but haven't gotten a turkey yet. Maybe this season coming.

Well, it's nice to know that you understand that in order to be a hunter you must be a killer.
    I do understand where you are coming from and after 25+ years, numerous deer and countless ducks, doves, quail, and rabbits I too tend to think much less about the kill, but Make no mistake the chance for a kill is why we all still go. I've even started bow hunting this year because I wanted to make deer hunting a little more exciting. To date I have been full draw on two does and one buck at 12 steps without letting one arrow fly. It's safe to say i don't go hunting just for the kill, but I always know that the chance To HARVEST a animal is always around the next bush. For the Master hunter the experteice, the will, and the power to kill is what keeps us in the field. The kill itself is of little reward, other than bacon wrapped tenderloin.

The quest to kill is what makes us part of nature and not watchers of nature. Sure, I like to see an eagle, or a warbler, and often, I go out just to look. But when we hunt, we pit ourselves against wild creatures that know their habitat better than we ever can.

Which is exactly why the tamie crowd is a buncha self-deluded wannabees.

Originally posted by 2thDoc:

If my boys ever shoot a robin with a BB gun in the backyard, you can be darned sure that they will be eating robin for dinner. (dont knock it. they eat good)

Dang toof,

If you weren't so ugly, I'd swear you were my long lost brother. My dad gave me the bb gun/robin speach way too many times growing up. Great post. As a hunter and a father, it seems you've got it figured out.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

tradorion Coots

As another member of the "BB and birds" club i can say that i did tote the occasional ass whipping and can also say that robins do go well with the right fixings although it was funny that mom who thought cooking quail and dove was just fine frowned when dad had her fix my kill.

Strange that so many of those little events are common to so many of our lives.

T

I was fortunate. A fine old colored woman named Maggie Addison, who lived in in a field shack, was always happy to have any robin, blackbird, or sora I could bring her. For all I know, she tossed them out back as soon as I was gone. But she always made me feel like I had brought her the moon.