Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Memory ?

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    huh?

I'm one step above Labhumper when it comes to computers.
    The little flashy thing on the computer's chassis.

It may look like the thing on the left in this picture:

or it may just be a light.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

XG, my bad. but eff punctuation

if you'll notice i sent him a link to address the page file without me having to type the whole thing, if the previous steps didn't work to his satisfaction.

Though it is slightly risky for a home user to perform these steps, I'd imagine most would prefer to try them at home, and possibly have to engage a technician and pay out the nose, than to cough up the money anyway, without having even tried fixing themselves. Especially since the technician will largely be performing these same steps.

But good to know you have him covered. I was just trying to help, since there have been several on here who have help me with other shite.
    Last edited by everlast; 03-29-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

[QUOTE=XHailGC;1074756] can guarantee you I can piss a mile.
    QUOTE]

If you pinch it first to build up pressure, its cheating.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

[quote=everlast;1074771]
    Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    can guarantee you I can piss a mile.
    QUOTE]

If you pinch it first to build up pressure, its cheating.

I peed a little

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    care to elaborate millero, cc, or xhail? i've been in IT for a decade...you?

That doesn't mean Jack Dick, trust me.........Your post confirms it.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I've been in IT for a week or has it been two?

Cat,

Virtual memory is your computer using hard drive space instead of RAM ( what most people simply call memory, sticks of chips that go into slots on the mother board ). Windows grabs as much drive space as it needs by default. Throwing more RAM memory in may be a fix. When you started getting this message, one of the things widows will ask is if you want to compress the drive. This will slow it down a ton if you said yes. You can find out if it is compressed by going to the tools area in the properties tab for your hard drive. If that is the case, it needs to be uncompressed and you will probably want/need to get a larger hard drive installed. As mentioned, you might have to many programs running in the background that you don't need or know about. Stop them or delete them as needed. You can also look under the HD properties performance tab virtual memory button. Someone may have set the page file size to low and you can change that. If all of this sounds like Latin to you, then find someone to look at it for you, especially if you don't have a good backup.

Mike

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    RAM memory
    Random Access Memory Memory? It's like the "ATM Machine" of the computer world.

NERD FIGHT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Random Access Memory Memory? It's like the "ATM Machine" of the computer world.
    And how would you use different memory acronyms with someone that is not computer savvy. I am thinking about the audience of the message. Do you? Or, are you one of the tech geeks that likes to talk to lay people in computer lingo to make yourself look/feel important? If you have a problem or think there is an error with what I told him, then fine correct it. If you want to play semantics, then fu. I would rather just help the guy out, is there a problem with that?

There are doctors to ditch diggers on this site, all with the common love of a tasty bird. Several of them, I probably would not trust to program a VCR but, I bet they know a lot of things and acronyms that I do not. How about just helping someone out that needs a little advice even if they are not yet supporting members.

Cat, if you are in the cola area I can help if someone else can't get to you.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    Or, are you one of the tech geeks that likes to talk to lay people in computer lingo to make yourself look/feel important?

If you take it outside and put it in your truck and drive to town, it will go faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    That doesn't mean Jack Dick, trust me.........Your post confirms it.
    whatever dude. Im sure your job at auto zone qualifies you to know if my advice was accurate or not.
    -Samuel Adams

whatever dude. Im sure your job at auto zone qualifies you to know if my advice was accurate or not.

The 3 names you mentioned + Bub all have very respective jobs in the IT world.
    Last edited by XHailGC; 03-29-2012 at 03:56 PM.

touche. must work with VOIP or something unrelated to PC maintenance if he thinks that my advice ws off base for the problem stated. malware and too many programs running at startup are the first step in diagnosing a slow pc.
    -Samuel Adams

Catdaddy,
    I hate to be the first to say this but get an Apple. I recommend an Apple Mac Mini, with it you can use your current monitor and keyboard. I had both of my PCs crash last year and replaced them with Apples and have had no issues. No virus issues and from pressing the button until opening a browser is about 25 seconds. Oh did I mention no viruses, ever. If it was for your work there may be an argument but with my twenty years in technology I was hard to change and now I would never go back. PM me if you like and we can get a time for you to cross the lake and see mine run. The Mac Mini is literally the size of an external disc drive. Good luck with all of that msconfig work on a six year old computer. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

thats why i don't hang out with coworkers. Too many passive aggressive nerds that try to feel smarter than each other.
    -Samuel Adams

touche. must work with VOIP or something unrelated to PC maintenance if he thinks that my advice ws off base for the problem stated. malware and too many programs running at startup are the first step in diagnosing a slow pc.
    so youre saying that you are in PC maintenance? so does that mean in the 10 years youve been in the industry you havent moved past the entry level technician position? are you still bragging to people that you have a+.

thats why i don't hang out with coworkers. Too many passive aggressive nerds that try to feel smarter than each other.
    dont have to try when we are up against people like you. by the way, my e-penis is bigger than yours...