Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Memory ?

Default Virtual Memory ?

I have a 6 year old Dell desk top. I keep getting a popup the Virtual Memory is low and windows is doing something to increase the memory.

Also the computer has gotten real slow in the last month since this has started.

Is there anything I can do to help on my end?

Might be time for an upgrade.

This at your office?

go to start run type msconfig then hit ok. go to startup. uncheck everything there except your antivirus, and anything you may need for internet connectivity, if thats the case. When you install programs, they often are added to startup which means that when the pc powers on, those programs are running in background using up memory, even if you aren't going to use them. that is a waste of resources. YOu can also go to services, check the box for hids microsoft services and uncheck services that don't need to be in startup. Google, adobe, ms office etc do NOT need to be in startup to function properly. just slows crap down.

*caveat - after taking things out of startup, if you happen to reboot and something will not work, like a work program, just go back to msconfig and recheck all and restart. if you don't recognize names, then you will have to uncheck them one at the time to be sure you don't need it.

your antivirus installed and current? I would run some system maintenance. download malwarebytes and run a full scan to see if there is any malware gumming up the works. delete all temp internet files, run a disk defrag.

If you still have virtual memory issues after that then use this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826513
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

If your PC works like a champ afterwards, feel free to repay me with a bow hunt for hogs
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    go to start run type msconfig then hit ok. go to startup. uncheck everything there except your antivirus, and anything you may need for internet connectivity, if thats the case.
    wow.

Lol

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by millero View Post
    wow.
    fur real

care to elaborate millero, cc, or xhail? i've been in IT for a decade...you?
    Last edited by everlast; 03-29-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    -Samuel Adams

and can tell you unequivocally that 90% of all slow pc issues were as simple as too much stuff in startup, or malware that has a program in startup
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    This at your office?

Nope, at home.

I have McAfee. It's up to date

And it's extremely slow when I start it up in morning. It seems to do better after it's up and running.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 03-29-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Add more RAM, you'll be fine. Depending on your OS, you'll need at least 3GB.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

adding ram always good, but if it is slow now, though it will be faster with more ram, it still won't be performing nearly as fast as it should.

Also, on my home PCs, i do a fresh OS install every year or so, to keep things running right. Ofcourse that involves some planning to exports documents, program settings etc.
    Last edited by everlast; 03-29-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    And it's extremely slow when I start it up in morning. It seems to do better after it's up and running.
    Exactly...thats all those unneccesary programs and services being loaded into memory.
    -Samuel Adams

I've done the disk cleanup and defrag using system tools.

It show I have 58% free space left.

Exactly...thats all those unneccesary programs and services being loaded into memory.
    It could be unnecessary services, but may also be because swapping - basically using hard disc as RAM will slow things to a crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I've done the disk cleanup and defrag using system tools.

It show I have 58% free space left.
    Is your disk light staying on almost constantly?

out of the bunch, despite the "WOW" comments, the msconfigs steps will likely make the most dramatic difference, besides adding more RAM. But as I've said, if you have a internet connection like DSL that requires a program to run at startup, you have to be careful what you uncheck. On my PCs, and my clients, generally the only thing ever checked is their antivirus.
    Last edited by everlast; 03-29-2012 at 09:46 AM.
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Is your disk light staying on almost constantly?

huh?

I'm one step above Labhumper when it comes to computers.

care to elaborate millero, cc, or xhail? i've been in IT for a decade...you?

My comment was towards your lack of punctuation. If you want to get into a peeing contest, fine. I've been in IT for more than a decade and can guarantee you I can piss a mile. While your solution is a temporary fix, it does not give consideration to bad memory or an undersized paging file. A paging file should be a minumum of 1.5 x the amount of RAM and a maximum of 3 x the amount of RAM.

More than likely, CD does have to many items loading at startup. However, CD is not a computer person. I would never send a client to make the changes you suggested. That's why I asked CD if this was at his office. Sometimes, it's just easier on both parts to take care of the problem yourself (as the IT person.) This saves trouble on both ends. I don't want my end users making changes I am not comfortable with them making.

Catdaddy, I will get you straight. I will be in your area this week.
    Last edited by XHailGC; 03-29-2012 at 09:57 AM.