Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which do you prefer?

Tell it like it is...

well, johnny...that's not fair.

which gets you more meat for the money?

your sign line is idiotic. a boston butt is only THE choice cut out of a ham. if you are first in line, its where you should go to get the best meat from the whole hog...unless you went toward the loins.

i guarantee you I have cooked more whole hogs than you in my life....I also guarantee you i have fed more people well with boston butts. period.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I would guess either spam or deviled meat?

talk to billy mote....talk to jimmy stevenson...talk to people that do this for a living.

cooking a whole hog is for "show" on amateur night. boston butts or whole hams feed the masses.

boston butts are to whole hogs what filet mignon is to a cow.

The mix of the various cuts some fatty, some lean, are what give a good Q it's flavor. Boston butt is an "easy" way out. They are much more forgiving. You don't see people snatching for shoulder meat unless it is all that is available to them...

What the hell does this have to do with Conservation???? [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    And where is HARV???????????????????????????
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!

I prefer the whole hog, it's just what I like. When everyone gets through snatching meat off the grill the whole hog makes better bbq, but thats just what I think.
    McKee Craft 196CC Yammy f150

Dammit Boy! 2fer comes out swinging ALL the time on all topics these days.

I've had a lot of good pig in my life. In fact, it would be safe to say that if I were a Muslim, I would definately not be on any of Allah's pearly gate express lane lists. But thats beside the point. What is important is that well cooked butts are really good as are whole hogs.

The best butt I've ever eaten (aside from that girl from Johnsonville) was one cooked under a fire wrapped in foil that had been marinated briefly in white vinegar and liberally seasoned with Cavenders seasoning. It was off the hook...or maybe I was just that damn hungry.

"What is important is that well cooked butts are really good as are whole hogs. "

That is very true. BBQ is like pizza and pussy, when it is good it is DAMN GOOD, and when it is bad, it is still pretty good...

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

Toofer - you are most certainly correct about the turn out in quantity of meat! However, Jab is correct on the quality and the taste. To turn that hog one time and then cut it up in the skin is what makes quality Bar B Q. The mixing of the hams, shoulders, belly and side meat is what makes southern BBQ.

Jimmy Stevenson when he cooks for the masses cooks hams and butts - when he cooks for himself - he cooks a whole hog!

The question is quality or quantity?

None of it is GOOD for you! LOL
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

I have been experimenting with smoking some Butts on my Weber and they have turned out pretty good. I think my problem has been with Butt selection. The ones I have gotten are "very" fatty. Butt that could just be the beer... [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!

Grilling hogs to 2fer must be like watching sports, he seems to always think he has the upper hand.

Tell us what you know toofy and then let us know how good you are at it.

DM is right southern BBQ is pulling all meat from the hog and mixing it......but you have obviously molested more hogs than me.

"BBQ is like pizza and pussy, when it is good it is DAMN GOOD, and when it is bad, it is still pretty good..."

Never have truer words been uttered on SCDucks.

I like it all, though I would prefer to eat the loin and other "high on the hog" meat first. But a whole cooked and mixed hog in the right sauce is delicious. And anyone who's ever tasted 2oof's specially seasoned boston butts has come back for seconds. Thirds in my case. I am now completely convinced that South Carolinians will fight about the colour of the sky. (And Ghetto will argue about the way to spell "colour") That's the way it's supposed to be.

I smell a cook off......or is that gunpowder from a duel?

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

LMAO!

If we soon don't get something to kill in season - I don't know what is going to happen!

LMAO
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

Hamburgers,silver queen, and fresh tomatoes...........since you asked.

Just let me know if you are going to serve pizza.........so I can stop by Wendy's on the way there.

The long and the short of it is that I am siding with the sombitch that is doing the cooking. JAB cooks lets have the whole pig. 2th cooks lets have yankee ass.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

Nutz is cooking the Pork so it is really up to him anyway! 2th and I are just being cantankerous because it is what we do...

well why dont yall just get a room.

so...the debate continues.

i am not going to disagree that the "crap" from the whole hog, all chopped up together, makes fine Q.

but who goes to a pig PICKING and takes a little from everywhere, goes over to a table, cuts it up, and puts sauce on it?

no one.

we are making a shitpile of damn fine BarBQ. you need not know where it came from....

Damn right. It always aggravates me when I go to a hog cookin', and the cooks have scraped out the skin and diced up all the meat into a convenient pile.
    By looking up under the curled up edges, I can usually find some good long strands of flank meat
    the fiends have overlooked.