Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coral Snake

Have any of you ever seen one in SC? If so, where? I found a small one in Jacksonboro years ago after we had a house sprayed for termites. it had crawled out and died. I kept in in the freezer for years...

No sir, can't say that I have.
    31-28, 12-0, 3-2, 4-2!!!!!!!!!

Never.

Red 'n yella kills a fella...
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

no sire.

but if i did....i would shoot it. [img]graemlins/2ar15.gif[/img]
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Like you johnny, i have paid attention to the things i see since i was a kid and finally saw one last fall when i was planting.

I did not shoot it! Hate i did not have camera equip with me..
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I've only seen one in my life and I've turned over about a million logs and rocks looking for them. The one I saw was out at my uncles farm, I caught a glimpse of something bright going under the leaves along a hedgerow, when I pulled back the leaves there it was. It looked like a piece of jewelry laying there. It was very small, probably no more than 9-10" long. One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I covered it back up and left it alone.

Although they are very poisonous they don't have any fangs and have to chew or gnaw on ya to break the skin. They are also extremely docile from what I've heard about them. Most bites occur to children (small fingers) that are handling them and hurt them.

I've never had the opportunity to catch their look alike the Scarlet Kingsnake either but have handled ones other folks have caught.

Scarlet Kingsnake

Also found this interesting:
    "Herpetologists are currenty debating whether or not the Scarlet Kingsnake (Lampropeltis triangulum triangulum) and the Milk Snake (Lampropeltis triangulum elapsoides) are actually separate species. Milksnakes and Scarlet Kingsnakes interbreed in North Carolina when their ranges overlap. However, there is evidence that they do not interbreed in Kentucky or Tennesse even though they are found in close proximity to one another."
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I know Brad won't appreciate this but saw it on another forum and laughed this am.

Rule #1

They are all Cobras until you kill them.

Rule #2

See rule #1.

[img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] CD [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I found a dead while changing a flat tire in blackville when I was a teenager. I kept that sucker until my freezer broke about five years ago.
    Your riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels.

Thats coo merg. Was the one you saw in the midlands or the peidmont? I have not seen one in the lowcountry..
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

It was up here in Greenwood.

back in about the early 80"s, we were plowing a field and turned several up near a ditchbank. this was in Horry county in Joyner Swamp.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Saw 2 in an old fireant mound in McCormick about 10 years ago. [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Freedom nor slavery favor any particular race or people

Killed one when I was a teenager near walterboro while deer hunting. Went to sit down on a stump for a break and glad that I looked first. Also had a scarlet king snake for a pet in high school. He was very dosile and lived for about 3 years.

Hey Twigg, you live in McCormick? Got 120 or so acres up there, about 3 or so miles from town and 3 or so miles from the town of Troy. Never seen one of these on the property, mostly big black king snakes and corn or rat snakes.

Ever been in Bladon's sporting goods and seen the hole in the wall where the owner shot at robbers?

Later, TROY
    every expert was once a beginner

Never have run across the coral snake but did see a big king snake fishing jeffries creek on the back side of the farm one day. If I remember right he was about 4 or 5 feet.
    Outrunning boat wakes in chestwaders aint easy...

Corals actually do have fangs, but they are short and fixed (non-folding). Coral snake venom is a neurotoxin, more closely related to that of cobras than of any North American snake.

I wouldn't kill one if I found it... Fort Jackson reportedly has a good many, but they are not seen much due to the fact that they tend to be under litter and stuff.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

No corals, but have caught a few Scarlets.

I don't live in McCormick,just hunted in Clarkshill and Troy all my life.
    Freedom nor slavery favor any particular race or people

Thanks for the info Swamp Rat.
    I just thought I'd read it somewhere a long time ago that they didn't have fangs. Or maybe their fangs weren't hypodermic (they couldn't inject venom through them).