Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dollars and Ducks

well, from those numbers, it looks like DU is the only one getting it done while Delta needs to raise a LOT more funds to pick up the slack.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

No question about it 2oof. I would just say that it is not only Delta that needs to "step up". It is the Duck HUNTER that needs to step up and start making sure that HIS money is being spent evenly to solve the problems. He cannot continue to blindly throw money in one direction because he gets a fancy magazine or a pretty sticker.

Pass the popcorn...

I kinda like my Delta magazine and sticker...
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

If you have been paying attention lately, DU has started a new program on their website where an individual can make a contibution and direct it to be used in a Priority Level 1 Habitat.

The Great Lakes area is a level 2 priority area and money can not be sent there. Nothing on this side on the countery is a level 1 area.

This concerns me.

South Carolinians ought to demand money raised here be spent in nesting areas proven to send birds our way. Like simple man, I enjoy the pics of pintails on a DU protected marsh in California, but I'd much rather see a mallard hen and her clutch using a henhoiuse in an Ontario marsh that sends ducks here.

DU has lost touch with it roots once again - it happen 20yrs ago and it hurt them - they are worried way to much about how much money they raise and not near enough about what is really done with it to help put ducks on the wing for this yr and yrs to come - for example, the Santee system is listed as a high priority area for wintering waterfowl - how many dollars have really been spent in that area? How many dollars are spent where "our" ducks are raised?
    I always thought a website was a selling tool, not a product repair manual!

Send the money directly to HARV .
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Originally posted by Catdaddy:
    If you have been paying attention lately, DU has started a new program on their website where an individual can make a contibution and direct it to be used in a Priority Level 1 Habitat.

The Great Lakes area is a level 2 priority area and money can not be sent there. Nothing on this side on the countery is a level 1 area.

This concerns me.
    That is why I will continue to support various local and regional organizations. I am directing my dollars to the places that I want to directly impact. DU and Delta have a place and I support them but they are just parts of the solution.
    I may even send a few bills to Harv. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Just trying to keep it rural

Send the money directly to HARV .
    How do we work that tax deduction?
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Maybe DU sees SC as bad medicine for the long term viability of migratory waterfowl. I mean 70% of our duck hunters and some prominent state legislators support the MRP, correct?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Well, Boog, Who gets your vote?

The cult that has become Ducks Unlimited has done nothing but hurt waterfowl numbers in the last few decades. I am about to do the unthinkable and agree with NAB here.

Much like NASCAR, DU has forgotten it's roots. The guys that funded their rise to MEGA-ORG were in the trenches duck hunters.

If the success of Ducks Unlimited as an organization is graded by duck hunter success across the U.S.(as it should be), they will get a D- at best.
    Well I was too young and pretty and the whores wouldn't leave me alone.

Boom,

I'm confused. Maybe you can help me here but I just looked at the 2005 financials and it looks like only about half of the DU revenue came from public support. The rest came from gov grants. The half that was public support, was split half again by "Major Gifts" classification. This doesn't include 50 mil or so which is just the pass through revenue for conservation easements. If we look at the small piece which is public support but not from major gifts, think about the costs associated with a "membership." You gotta send them magazines, stickers yada yada yada. So, where is the "in the trenches" duck hunter in this mega organization picture? Living on duck welfare is what it looks like to me. If I my assumptions are off, let me know.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Originally posted by Stripa Swipa:
    Boom,

I'm confused. Maybe you can help me here but I just looked at the 2005 financials and it looks like only about half of the DU revenue came from public support. The rest came from gov grants. The half that was public support, was split half again by "Major Gifts" classification. This doesn't include 50 mil or so which is just the pass through revenue for conservation easements. If we look at the small piece which is public support but not from major gifts, think about the costs associated with a "membership." You gotta send them magazines, stickers yada yada yada. So, where is the "in the trenches" duck hunter in this mega organization picture? Living on duck welfare is what it looks like to me. If I my assumptions are off, let me know.
    You make my point. DU has long ago forgotten the DUCK HUNTER. The same group that got them to the dance in the first place.

Duck hunters interests are not being served by Ducks Unlimited in it's present form.

Duck hunters want more ducks to shoot. Ducks Unlimited is not working to increase duck numbers nor do they plan to try.

Duck hunters should either correct that or take their money elsewhere.
    Well I was too young and pretty and the whores wouldn't leave me alone.

Well then answer me this. If DU changed their focus and only took contributions from duck hunters that were only interested in the number of ducks they shot at the place that they like to hunt, what do you believe the long term impact of that change would be?

Rubberhead