Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CWP Traffic Stop Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    In my case i didnt, since I was not carrying concealed. I was transporting per SC Law. Had I had the gun in my pocket or holstered, it is my understanding that I MUST present CWP.

am I right in this?

YES. If you are carrying on or about your person you must present your CWP when approached by an LEO. If your are only abiding by SC State Law and it is in your console or glove box you are not required to present your CWP.

In my case i didnt, since I was not carrying concealed. I was transporting per SC Law. Had I had the gun in my pocket or holstered, it is my understanding that I MUST present CWP.

am I right in this?
    Yes, only if you are carrying on yourself do you have to present the card.

I think people just do it as a courtesy. Maybe to show they do have a weapon in the vehicle and because they have a clean record, even though they are not required to show it.
    Last edited by TJ_11; 03-13-2012 at 02:39 PM.

I was stopped about 4 months ago in the city and had the weapon in the same place in my console. I had no reason to show my CWP, so I did not. The officer did not ask me if I had any weapons in the car. He wrote me the biggest BS ticket of my life but I did not leave feeling violated because I had a gun.

am I right in this?
    Here is the law stating this.

(K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver’s license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty five dollars.

but y'all are talking about having them in your car, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckdog View Post
    but y'all are talking about having them in your car, correct?
    Yes, which mine was in the center console. Meaning I was not required to show my permit, which I did not. Until the officer asked me if I had any weapons in the truck. Which is where I said yes and then he wanted have me get out of my truck, so that he could remove it himself while shining his flashlight anywhere he pleased.

Got ya coastal - I was really referring to the folks who mentioned handing them over with their DL when the gun was in the console or glove box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

You dont need a CWP to transport a weapon.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Late to the post.

Carry on.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

The Constitution means nothing now. Why do you have to have a CWP to carry a gun?

This thread is so ON TIME after our last discussion a few days ago. I promise I won't start trashing you Rights Buyers again... Even though it is super comical that this thread is about CWP holders feeling like their Rights have been infringed on. Oh the irony!

That said.

Just say NO!

Do you know why I pulled you over? No...
    Do you have any weapons in the car? No...
    Can I search your car? No...
    Will you take this breathalizer? No...
    Can I trash your Rights in some other way this evening? No...

Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    This thread is so ON TIME after our last discussion a few days ago. I promise I won't start trashing you Rights Buyers again... Even though it is super comical that this thread is about CWP holders feeling like their Rights have been infringed on. Oh the irony!

That said.

Just say NO!

I kept scrolling down to see where you wuz at. Although the Fear and Loathing clip was comical, I was a bit let down. Thank you for weighing in.

First of all whether or not you had a CWP is here nor there. It does not matter. I was pulled in late december and told the officer I had a pistol in my console. He told me I needed a CWP to have it anywhere but the glove box which is not the case. I told him he didn't know what he was talking about and informed him I was a gun dealer and knew the laws pertaining to that. He let it go at that and took my gun while he ran my license. I was so hot that I checked my travel book and consulted with another Lexington county cop and I was of course correct. Cop said the other guy was just a young dumb ass who didn't know the law.
    Last edited by reezen44; 03-13-2012 at 03:11 PM.

i keep mine on me or between seat and console. that is why i hand my over when stopped. also put yourself in the officer's shoes, i would want to know that someone had a gun on them or in a console.

On other note, i carying it by the law and not CWP it has to be in a locked compartment. This might have change, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal12 View Post
    A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty five dollars.[/B]
    Shit the bed Fred, the CWP laws got some TEETH ain't it, bo? Better hang your papers out the winnder soon as you see dem blue lights.

That said.

Just say NO!

I agree 100%. I was hesitant to get my CWP in the first place because you really do not gain a whole lot more with the permit, and I rarely carry on my person unless hunting or fishing which I was legally aloud to do in the first place. My application fee was waived because I am prior military and figured why not. The class was very helpful in clarifying gun laws. And now I really know the laws and find myself in this charlie foxtrot.

Shit the bed Fred, the CWP laws got some TEETH ain't it, bo? Better hang your papers out the winnder soon as you see dem blue lights.

Hell!!! That's less than a dollar a minute for how long I had to wait..

Just think, if you would have kept your mouth shut it wouldn't have cost you twenty minutes.

And if you didn't have a CWP, how much would you save in ANNUAL FEES? How much does it cost to take the initial class?

And truly, lets be real.

If you are a criminal and going to have a shootout with the po-po, are you going to initiate the gunfight as soon as he walks up to the window or disclose that you have a weapon and give him a fair chance?
    Last edited by walt4dun; 03-13-2012 at 03:38 PM.

very true, just stating what officers have told me.

I think coastal12 was put thru the ringer. first of all no cwp would have a stolen gun, i think officer was hoping to get him a gun that night.

i know the times that i have been stopped or gone thru a checkpoint that showing the cwp permit first has made things smoother. rare do they even check lic at check points just flag you thru.

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckdog View Post
    Why even hand them your CWP? It's not required for operation of a vehicle.

That is exactly what I was wondering. Seems like some people think it's "cool" or something and want everybody they come in contact with to know they have a CWP.