Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tree ID Help Needed...

=

gum

Upon closer inspection........that beez a gum tree.

For all you dummies that think you know trees, it's most certainly not a sweetgum or blackgum for that matter! Based on the limited knowledge of the site it is either an ash, hickory or yellow poplar but I would bet every dollar in my pocket its an ash.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Nix the poplar too..... Hickory or ash.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

this dummy wants to hear your reasoning behind that answer.

I see a gum leaf in the picture

It's the woods, there are lots of leaves on the ground. The bark pattern alone narrows it down to my two selections. The only place I have seen blackgum bark with similar patterns is in the sandhills and it does all kinda stuff!

what specifically makes the bark not look like sweet gum?

So, these two aren't the same?

Everything..... It's not a sweetgum boss!

im not a tree expert by ANY means, but im gonna hold to my guess as a sweet gum... damn thing looks just like every sweet gum i have ever seen... and looks nothing like a hickory ive ever seen.

i wish woodie could split that piece with an axe... that would show us for sure.

cali do you agree with the identity of the pics i posted of the gum and hickory?

The long streaks and broken pattern and the bark rises to a ridge..... The bottom pic looks more like yellow poplar.

Your first and third appear to be hickory..... The second sweetgum and can't tell about pic four..... The lichens on the bark obscure those closeups

no sir, first and third are sweet gum. second and fourth are hickory... fact. these are orangeburg county trees. shit must grow different in beaufort. these "specimans" are sitting in my yard.
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 03-13-2012 at 01:47 PM.

I will very boldly say you got your pics mixed up boss!

i will very boldy take a few more tonight...haha... .

im about as confident as i can be, but if im wrong i want to know it.... i think i was wrong once or twice before.

Make that thrice!