Thread: Google Will Pay $1 Million for Chrome Hacks

Default Google Will Pay $1 Million for Chrome Hacks

I guess this is how you guarantee your browser is safer than the competition.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400878,00.asp

Google will pay up to $1 million to those that can hack its Chrome browser and expose and exploit potential threats, Forbes has said.
    Chrome is participating in an annual hackathon called Pwn2Own, held next week at the CanSecWest security conference in Vancouver. For the last three years of the competition, Chrome has been left untouched while hackers have taken down browsers including Firefox, Internet Expolorer, and Safari, Forbes said.
    "While we're proud of Chrome's leading track record in past competitions, the fact is that not receiving exploits means that it's harder to learn and improve," Google explained in a blog post. "To maximize our chances of receiving exploits this year, we've upped the ante."
    Google isn't just rewarding hacks in Chrome. The company will pay $20,000 for a hack exposed in Windows, Flash, device drivers, or for general bugs that could fell any browser. It will pony up $40,000 for a partial Chrome exploit and it will pay $60,000, up to the million dollar limit, for full Chrome exploits and bugs that only exist in Chrome.
    It's not a winner-takes-all competition. The prize money will be spread out across various competitors, up to $1 million. Google will also give the winners Chromebooks.
    Successful hackers will be required by Google to deliver full reports of their exploits.
    "We have a big learning opportunity when we receive full end-to-end exploits," Google said. "Not only can we fix the bugs, but by studying the vulnerability and [exploiting] techniques we can enhance our mitigations, automated testing, and sandboxing. This enables us to better protect our users."

I guess you're already toying with this...

Has everyone switched over to chrome and left firefox?
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

I still use internet explorer... is there much difference in all those.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

He said Sandboxing

hacker lingo is rad
    Last edited by Glenn; 02-29-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Yes in security, speed, and functionality.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    Has everyone switched over to chrome and left firefox?
    I did something that put this Chrome stuff on my computer. I liked Firefox better, but the Chrome stuff is still what I use since it ain't enough of a bitch that I switched back. Basically, I just don't give a fuck and will surf blissfully onward.

Smart move on their part. Bill Gates should have done that.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Smart move on their part. Bill Gates should have done that.

Companies have been taking advantage of script kiddies for years. Google just has more money to offer.

ain't DAMN RIGHT!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Don't ever uninstall Chrome, it screws the register and your PC dies so you get to reinstall the operating system.

I'd have killed someone from Google if they'd been available. They install their dammed software I did want then crash your PC when you get rid of it.

Your friend, the Voice of Experience!
    Illegal immigration is ruining this country - look what it has already done to the White House.

OK then......I'll guess I'll keep it

I had just the opposite experience. Chrome was easy to get rid of, and I plan to stick with Firefox.

OK then.....maybe I'll get rid of it

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Don't ever uninstall Chrome, it screws the register and your PC dies so you get to reinstall the operating system.

I'd have killed someone from Google if they'd been available. They install their dammed software I did want then crash your PC when you get rid of it.

Your friend, the Voice of Experience!
    If you don't want it, then don't install it. Read what you're installing when you install other applications. I've personally always found all google services quite easy to get rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post

Your friend, the Voice of Ignorance!
    fixed

^