Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New LapTop Suggestions?

Default New LapTop Suggestions?

I'm in the market for a new lap top. I'm not a techno nerd so I don't need the latest, greatest, super dooper, computer, but I don't want a piece of junk I will have to replace in a year either. Most of what I would be doing is online (forums and such) and I plan on getting into videoing my own hunts soon so something good enough for video editing also. What would you guys suggest?

Any mid-range laptop at Wal-Mart should do fine with making videos. My daughter does all that kind of stuff just as a hobby and has no problems. Youtube downloader and Windows movie maker has made movie making pretty simple.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

I would rather stay away from Emachine and ACER. I've just never seen anyone have good luck with them.

macbook pro!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    macbook pro!
    Yeah. I think that would put me in the super dooper category. I would like to stay under $500.

i have had good luck with Toshibas. They are cheap and I have had them last a long time.

if all you want to spend is $500 then plan on replacing it every other year or so......
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Strutn,

I asked this same question not long ago. I got some good advice and against my hatred of Best Buy went up there. I bought a newer Dell Inspiron 15" with a 650GB Hard Drive and 6GB of RAM, Windows 7 etc. Its a pretty decent laptop so far. I think it was like $499.00 or so.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

First off Fuck Wal-mart and the garbage they sell there. Secondly go spend $900 and buy a mac that will last a long time. My powerbook is 7 years old and works fine and my MacBook is 4 years old and is an example of why to buy a mac.
    cut\'em

its an example of why you should buy a machine with the same parts as a pc, yet costs 2x as much?

he didnt ask for a mac. he says he wants a cheap laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    I'm in the market for a new lap top. I'm not a techno nerd so I don't need the latest, greatest, super dooper, computer, but I don't want a piece of junk I will have to replace in a year either. What would you guys suggest?
    I see he doesn't want a piece of shit, which in my experience should read PC. He never said cheap but more inferred decent quality til he put a price tag on it.
    Last edited by Southernduck; 02-27-2012 at 08:32 AM.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    I see he doesn't want a piece of shit, which in my experience should read PC. He never said cheap but more inferred decent quality til he put a price tag on it.
    I don't think that I would argue with Millero about a computing machine.

He may just make you look stupid.

Wait, he already did.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I understand that the top of the line lap tops are going to run over a thousand dollars. I just don't see a need for me to have a top of the line computer anymore. I have always had good luck with "mid line" desk tops so I'm trying to get suggestions on lap tops that would serve the purpose. I currently have a HP desk top that was the middle of the road whenever I bought it and other than recently burning out a power supply (due to flipping the breakers) it has been fine for 5-6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    I understand that the top of the line lap tops are going to run over a thousand dollars. I just don't see a need for me to have a top of the line computer anymore. I have always had good luck with "mid line" desk tops so I'm trying to get suggestions on lap tops that would serve the purpose. I currently have a HP desk top that was the middle of the road whenever I bought it and other than recently burning out a power supply (due to flipping the breakers) it has been fine for 5-6 years.
    You can get HP and Toshiba at Wal-Mart for under $600 that will serve you nicely. I think the ones I got for my son and daugher are HP.

But I wouldn't dispute Millero's expertise or his link (cheaper price tag).
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    if all you want to spend is $500 then plan on replacing it every other year or so......
    false. dell, gateway, hp all have decent models around or under 500 bucks. i have a gateway that was 450 that is going on year 3 now. keep your antivirus current and updated and you should be fine. best buy is usually where i start off looking.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

I've been very happy with my Toshiba.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

I have had several dell lap tops. I get around 4 years out of them. The last one cost me between $400 and $500. I have been very happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckdog View Post
    I've been very happy with my Toshiba.
    Same.

mac