Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost to hunt

Default Cost to hunt

Was going through some of my debit card bills and looking at what I was spending to hunt and got to thinking what does it cost on average for yall to hunt a day in state?

I figure a hundred bucks by the time you average it all out.

Is this daily expense average or do we include in our average what we have done all year to get ready as well?
    Skybusters: Magic Does Not Apply to Shotgun Physics

Skybusting, or the art of trying to magically propel steel shot 100 yards into the air at a passing duck, is a sure-fire way to ruin your own chances, and everyone else’s chances, at actually killing a duck.

well........

dove field
    deer plot
    stands
    fuel
    gas
    corn

...........I don't think I want to add it up
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot1224 View Post
    well........

dove field
    deer plot
    stands
    fuel
    gas
    corn

...........I don't think I want to add it up
    ^^This! I'm pretty sure it would be better if you didn't know a total cost
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I don't want to put a cost on something I enjoy so much.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Well living an hour and 15 minutes from the coast in Georgetown I burn about 10 gallons of fuel in the truck and about 3 to 4 gallons in the boat. That's about $48 per trip with gas at $3.49. That's not including shells, drinks and food. I make at least two to three trips a week during the season. Usually someone goes with me but some how I never come out on the good side of the gas bill. Gas is the biggest factor in my hunting without a doubt. When I go deer hunting at our club it's about a 40 mile round trip. I don't think I want to do any more math here..I'll be pissed.

i added up offshore fishing one year..... I wanted to hurl! i'll never add up any hobbies again, i'll just try and make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

i'll never add up any hobbies again, i'll just try and make more money
    This right 'chere.

I didnt make any trips to the coast this year. I am adding 178 heated square feet to the house with the savings...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I was thinking more just cost per day. For me gas 50 shells food etc 15 so 65.

All I know is it is painful.
    cut\'em

dove = $15
    deer = $425
    duck = $750
    Freshwater fish = $20
    Saltwater fish (inshore) = $30
    Saltwater fish (offshore) = $200

Time spend doing what you love is PRICELESS!!!!!!

Yea, I dont think anyone wants to add it what they pay in to their hobbies. But since you asked daily... my longest trips to the coast would be 40 in gas including the boat, stuff for the hunts, drinks snacks... 10, lunch on the way home 10 and i buy my shells by the case so lets say a quarter of a case 5 bucks..

Grand total of 65 a day... on the long days and prolly 40-50 on the average days.

Like mud said who knows what the cost was to get ready... 4-5 trips to each area and anywhere else for scouting, boat maintenance and etc... lets not talk about it...
    Last edited by TJ_11; 02-24-2012 at 08:57 AM.

I was bored one February afternoon many years ago, when I lived closer to my hunting grounds.

I added up my expenses to include duck hunting assets, (better known as liabilities to my wife). I compared the dollar difference in an average priced commuter car, and my truck with big engine, and towing package. Added in my decoys, gun, boat, et. al. to my fixed assets.

Then, did a 10 year depreciation on them to zero to get my annual cost of fixed assets. Next I estimated a per trip cost, at 40 trips per season.

I assumed a 100 bird take per season and averaged each bird at 4lbs.

If I told you what it costs me per ounce you would likely shit yourself.

When I married, I deleted that spreadsheet, along with all my little black book numbers for the same reason. There was no way in hell I wanted my wife privy to that knowledge.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJa8kxPfPoU&feature=results_main&playnext= 1&list=PL95E1DBC0A0B87D2F[/ame]

One day a year of hearing about Gbelly getting pulled over and answering the officers question of "do you have any guns in your vehicle" makes whatever the cost is worth it....
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue

About $200 a trip, mostly gas.
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

I would never put such a thing in writing......I figured it up after a season and it skeered me. I spend less on my truck each year....

Now add the fact that I fish like a fiend, we stay in the red all year.

Quote Originally Posted by benman View Post
    One day a year of hearing about Gbelly getting pulled over and answering the officers question of "do you have any guns in your vehicle" makes whatever the cost is worth it....
    Sad thing is, is that I was pulled by the same cop and had six guns, a young'un, and a bearded dog in the truck...and I still got some paper...

You gotta stop blaming that dog......
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue