Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lipid Panel

Default Lipid Panel

Just wondering if anyone who has been on the paleo diet for a significant amount of time has had any recent blood work and cares to share the results of their lipid panel. Just curious as to the effects pre and post diet.
    "It's a numbers game" - Mac Owen
    Endangered: Farmers, Watermen, and Rural Life

Also what were the changes in your ratios? Ratios are far more important than the total numbers to me?
    Last edited by mello_collins; 02-19-2012 at 07:19 PM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I'm interested as I have high cholesterol and hate beening on meds.
    Phillipians 4:13

Everything i've read seems to indicate cholesterol can significantly increase with paleo. I too would be curious about that from those serious about the diet. I am on pravachol now, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by LowcountryBuck View Post
    Everything i've read seems to indicate cholesterol can significantly increase with paleo. I too would be curious about that from those serious about the diet. I am on pravachol now, BTW.

Did you mean decrease? Nearly every story I hear about Paleo and/or Primal is in regards to someone's cholesterol changing for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by LowcountryBuck View Post
    You've read wrong.

There are several on here who have some pretty remarkable pre and post paleo bloodwork changes.

I had all mine back towards the end of the year and despite my no grain, no sugar, high fat diet my lipids were perfect. According to conventional wisdom I should be dead based on what I eat.

Taking pills sucks. Medicate yourself with food and be done with it.

#'s
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

trkykilr needs to chime in. I know his numbers made a significant change for the better after one month. So much so that his doctor told him to come back in two months because she'd never seen such a drastic change and she wanted to verify everything. She said if the numbers hold up, she wants the damn book.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    #'s
    I'll dig out my paper work tonight J and post 'em up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    trkykilr needs to chime in. I know his numbers made a significant change for the better after one month. So much so that his doctor told him to come back in two months because she'd never seen such a drastic change and she wanted to verify everything. She said if the numbers hold up, she wants the damn book.
    duckduckdog's numbers, along with his blood pressure, made a remarkable change.

illpop:

Im not trying to discredit the diet but I suspect there is a pretty large confounding influence in many peoples numbers due to the addition of exercise as well as diet change. Glenn, were you exercising prior to going paleo or did you change both at the same time? I wonder if there would be an effect on an active person with a good lipid panel.

Pre -
    Total Cholesterol = 192
    Triglycerides = 83
    HDL = 56
    VLDL Cholesterol = 17
    LDL Cholesterol Calc = 119
    LDL / HDL Ratio = 2.1

Post -
    Total Cholesterol = 172
    Triglycerides = 89
    HDL = 61
    VLDL Cholesterol = 18
    LDL Cholesterol Calc = 93
    LDL / HDL Ratio = 1.5

This was 1 year between labs. BP numbers were went from 180's / 130's to 117 / 73
    Last edited by duckduckdog; 02-20-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by sc high tide View Post
    Im not trying to discredit the diet but I suspect there is a pretty large confounding influence in many peoples numbers due to the addition of exercise as well as diet change. Glenn, were you exercising prior to going paleo or did you change both at the same time? I wonder if there would be an effect on an active person with a good lipid panel.
    I was exercising - not the same regimen that I follow now, but I was very active. Ran all the time, usually finished pretty well in local 5k's, but my diet sucked. I credit the diet change with my results. I don't think I work out any harder now compared to then, just smarter.
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

So you basically just dropped the LDL. Im assuming sodium goes on the paleo plan. Do you think thats why you BP dropped or oher dietary changes. DDD how did you eat pre, just whatever you wanted to eat or did you follow any type of plan.
    Last edited by sc high tide; 02-20-2012 at 02:47 PM.

The BP #'s are pretty amazing. You on Med's when it was up 180/130's?
    Good looking #'s for sure.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I've never been much on salt - never added it to anything that I ate and really dislike the taste of it. But you are right, buying fresh food and getting away from the processed stuff will definitely lower your sodium intake. However, the only real difference in how I ate then, compared to now, is the absence of grain and starches. I always ate a lot of fresh meat, but usually piled that on a bed of rice, with a side of rolls, followed by a slice of cake. Now I eat that same meat with veggies, maybe a sweet potato, and skip the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    The BP #'s are pretty amazing. You on Med's when it was up 180/130's?
    Good looking #'s for sure.
    Doc wanted to put me on them, but I was able to talk him into letting me give it a shot at working on it myself. I can still say that I am about to turn 36 and still have not had a prescription.

Ah, so it's the excercise! No? Well it must be the sodium! No? Well______________(fill in the blank ad infinitum with everything EXCEPT a change in diet)

SCHT, do you work for a pharmaceutical company or something?

Just an FYI for all you do-it yourselfers that high of blood pressure is classified as a hypertensive emergency. Good on you for getting it controlled but I like my kidneys too much.

Quote Originally Posted by VaTransplantDuckHunter View Post
    Just an FYI for all you do-it yourselfers that high of blood pressure is classified as a hypertensive emergency. Good on you for getting it controlled but I like my kidneys too much.
    With the blessing of my Doc.

Brown or Schuman?