Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **SCDNR letter**

Default **SCDNR letter**

Ladies and Gentlemen, we greatly appreciate your response in favor of the South Carolina Aquatic Plant Management Plan, which has been out for public review. The review period ends on February 12, 2012 and the SCAPM Council will meet on Tuesday, February 14, 2012 to discuss the comments and hopefully to approve the “Plan”. There has recently been an influx of comments against the Plan, primarily on behalf of the duck hunting group. I don’t know if there will be representatives of opposition groups attending the Council Meeting or not, but if any of you, or members of your organizations, are available to attend I know you will be welcomed. The meeting is scheduled in the SCDNR Board Room (Room 335)in the Rembert Dennis Building at 1000 Assembly Street in Columbia, SC at 10:00 AM. Thank you again for your continued support for the Santee Cooper Lakes. Larry McCordSupervisor - Analytical & Biological ServicesSantee Cooper(843) 761-4101 or (843) 761-8000 ext. 5735Cell - (843) 870-7576rlmccord@santeecooper.com

We are The Government and We know what's best for you. Even if the majority of citizens disagree with this, We are going to do it anyway.

And the beat goes on.........

Quote Originally Posted by ManvsDuck View Post
    We are The Government and We know what's best for you. Even if the majority of citizens disagree with this, We are going to do it anyway.

Really?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Think if 1000's showed up it would make difference?

The good news is we are making a difference, it might be small, but you have to start somewhere. The bad news is : there are more people who will stand up for the releasing of more carp and spraying, so we need to continue the effort in order to reach a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by ManvsDuck View Post

that is not what I took out of the letter
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Zactly 803. If you read between the lines there, they are begging us to show up and oppose the jet ski mafia.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

At least cormorants are good for something, eating carp!

I will now share the letter I authored. If any of you show, I feel there are some key points that can be made if group discussion is requested.

To whom it may concern:

I am writing to voice my opposition to further stocking of grass carp in the Santee River system.

I support a balanced approach for home owners and sportsmen alike. I am saddened that in order to appease a few, many will suffer. I used to fish and hunt the Santee lakes often. Since the napalm approach to the Hydrilla problem, and the resulting fallout to native vegetation the lakes are a far cry from what they were. There used to be plenty of native plants which provided cover for fry, and migratory waterfowl. Now, I see more cormorants than ducks, and DNR is forced to stock the lake with Striped Bass to maintain any fishable population. Triploid carp, striped bass, and herbicides are costly. Maintaining a resource for the benefit to all, will pay dividends. Lakes are more than jet ski, and party barge locations. They can and will provide the state, and local economies with significant revenues.

As I understand the report, I see that the carp released last year were included in the total numbers, however, those who compile the report did not include that they are not yet at a size where they will do any "good".

I urge you to please consider what will happen when all the carp that are released will reach a size that hydrilla will not sustain their appetites, and they will move to native aquatic vegetation. This will further destroy any chance for fish to survive the protected and invasive catfish, the protected cormorants and curtail any reason for the residents to host fishing tournaments, and attract traveling fishermen with money for local businesses. The only migratory waterfowl who will visit the lakes, will be the cormorant, which is not such an attractive bird for traveling birders.

Again, I ask that you put management of the resources involved before public opinion.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, or would like additional feedback.

With warm regards,
    Last edited by BigBrother; 02-13-2012 at 11:24 AM.

^ How could someone read your letter and not take action on it?

Well said BB!

Let me clarify something. This letter was to a group who are in favor of the plan and would like to see all hydrilla gone. Also, asking them to come to the meeting.

I posted it on here so that y'all could see that you are making a difference. Also, to see if any one can go to the meeting to voice the other side of the story (for grass).

I do not know if anybody that opposes the plan got the same letter, but apparently some of the ones for it did.
    Last edited by FHF; 02-13-2012 at 12:36 PM.

No letter for me.

And, damnit. I was scanning. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Zactly 803. If you read between the lines there, they are begging us to show up and oppose the jet ski mafia.
    Lots of begging going on.....

I didn't recieve this letter, and neither did anyone else who oppossed it.

We all know who S-C wants arguing for their case
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

I read the title, but neglected to read who it was from.

Shoulda been a "Santee Cooper Letter"

Quote Originally Posted by MDman View Post
    Lots of begging going on.....

I didn't recieve this letter, and neither did anyone else who oppossed it.

We all know who S-C wants arguing for their case
    I see now...
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

I will be going unless something urgent pops up at work.

Bow fishing tournament?
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."- Robert E. Lee

I am going to try and make it.

How long will the meeting last?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I read the title, but neglected to read who it was from.

Shoulda been a "Santee Cooper Letter"
    Yes, I should have titled it different. Kinda misleading, that is why I tried to clarify.
    Last edited by FHF; 02-13-2012 at 02:12 PM.