Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: caught with lead shot

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail Widowmaker View Post
    Exactly!! They are worried about ducks with lead being toxic, etc, but how many are shot down and left to die later or crippled due to sorry ass steel shot... Dumbest damn law ever!
    What happens to an animal that eats a crippled duck that has steel shot in it?
    What happens to steel shot in a shallow impoundment laying on the bottom?
    What happens to ducks that pick up errant steelshot while getting grit?

I know the answer...the animals live and shot rusts away.

What happens to an animal that eats a crippled duck that has lead shot in in?
    What happens to lead shot in a shallow impoundment laying on the bottom?
    What happens to ducks that pick up errant lead shot while getting grit?

I know the answer...they die a slow death and the lead shot doesnt rust away.

You learn how to shoot and at a reasonable range and cripples become rare.
    It really is that simple..really.

I too wish Fish was reading this...me thinks he has a much more eloquent way of telling people they are fucktards than I ever could.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugted312 View Post
    we had a few empties in the bottom of the boat that we didn't see when we cleaned up after dove season one year & went duck hunting. We got checked @ the landing & the gw saw one of the casings under the seat. He asked about it & we explained where it came from. The brass was real tarnished & he knew we didn't use them duck hunting. He checked the birds with the wand & gave us a warning. He coulda rung us up for it.
    I don't know about this one. He has to prove you were hunting with lead or in possession of lead. He didn't write you a ticket because he probably couldn't get a conviction. The warning was written to document to the Dept that he was doing his job and to prompt you to be more careful.

Question: What is the definition of possession? Say you hunt wood ducks early and then go to the dove field on the same property? What about lead shot in your truck?

We've always known that WW is nothing short of genius
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I have never used lead, But Over an open field or on your private pond can you use lead?
    Im curious.
    The harder you hunt, The sweeter the reward.

EVERY single secret is dark and twisted in its own ways-
    Me.

To be the best that you can be in you life you must be willing to drop everything you love.

Sprig I have no quarrel with your argument, actually it's spot on and I agree, however I like QA believe it should be the same across the board. As far as shooting at reasonable distances I agree. I guess the same argument could be made for doves picking up lead in fields while gritting?
    Last edited by ccleroy; 02-04-2012 at 11:45 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail Widowmaker View Post
    Exactly!! They are worried about ducks with lead being toxic, etc, but how many are shot down and left to die later or crippled due to sorry ass steel shot... Dumbest damn law ever!
    I wanted to do a PHD project on this exact hypothesis!
    Let's Fish www.carolinaaeromarine.com Or dip something www.tntcustomcamo.com

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK

Quote Originally Posted by joshwhity View Post
    I have never used lead, But Over an open field or on your private pond can you use lead?
    Im curious.
    Yes, but only if you have a CP.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by joshwhity View Post
    Im curious.
    If you're shooting waterfowl, no.
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Yes, but only if you have a CP.
    And this. I inherited mine, thankfully.
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

What happens to all the lead we shoot at doves with before we flood our impoundment.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    What happens to all the lead we shoot at doves with before we flood our impoundment.
    It will kill every single bird that bottom feeds in your impoundment.... Lol

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

CC, a field is getting turned over. Covered by weeds/debris etc.

Look how a duck feeds. They basically grab mouthfuls of stuff off bottom. Species like a spoony amplify that motion..sifters.

Take a 40 acre chunk of water with a hard/semi hard bottom. For example, the 1000's of wild rice lakes in the Great Lakes region. Take 30 years of duck hunters shooting lead #4's or 6's over it. Pure guess, but does a lead #4 have at least 200 pellets?? close I am sure.

I remember reading about a big lake in La. either pontchatrain or catahaoula...they still pull lead out the bottom with every shovel full.

Not sure about all that have responded to this thread, but I shot lead up until 1990. I remember lots of cripples and lost birds shooting lead. As much as I hate to admit, in my teens and early 20's I wasnt a good shot.
    Steel then got a horrible rap. The stuff was true garbage in the early 90's. It was literally a 25yd round. It was also 12$ a box even back then. Lead 4's were $3.99. I was raising 3 kids, making 25k a year and shooting 300 ducks a year. I didnt feel bad about what shells i bought and used. We didnt have the science we do now available, and unless you got a DU magazine, you didnt see pics of ducks dying from lead poisoning.

People laugh at California going to a complete lead ban in ammo, but its proven fact that California Condors die when eating just 1 lead bullet out of a deer carcass.

I'm no biologist, just a guy who believes lead in certain environments isnt healthy.

I also think a complete ban is ridiculous.
    Out of 80 plus ducks i killed this year, i lost 3 ducks. 2 bluebills in choppy big water, and a gadwall that a boykin wouldnt go get. deep water and wind blowing hard..
    So the whole steel cripples not kills debate is played out in my opinion.
    Last edited by sprigdog; 02-04-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    We've always known that WW is nothing short of genius
    Doesn't take a genius to realize that steel sucks.
    "The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

"Some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters." - Archibald Rutledge

Sprig, you're correct.......all the animals that eat ducks and ducks themselves, were rapidly declining before steel became mandatory ...... Ducks were killed for YEARS and then bam.......They stopped it. Say what you will, steel isn't better for killing.
    Last edited by Whitetail Widowmaker; 02-04-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    "The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

"Some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters." - Archibald Rutledge

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    If you're shooting waterfowl, no.

Ok, just wondering. thanks.
    The harder you hunt, The sweeter the reward.

EVERY single secret is dark and twisted in its own ways-
    Me.

To be the best that you can be in you life you must be willing to drop everything you love.

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    CC, a field is getting turned over. Covered by weeds/debris etc.

Look how a duck feeds. They basically grab mouthfuls of stuff off bottom. Species like a spoony amplify that motion..sifters.

Take a 40 acre chunk of water with a hard/semi hard bottom. For example, the 1000's of wild rice lakes in the Great Lakes region. Take 30 years of duck hunters shooting lead #4's or 6's over it. Pure guess, but does a lead #4 have at least 200 pellets?? close I am sure.

I remember reading about a big lake in La. either pontchatrain or catahaoula...they still pull lead out the bottom with every shovel full.

Not sure about all that have responded to this thread, but I shot lead up until 1990. I remember lots of cripples and lost birds shooting lead. As much as I hate to admit, in my teens and early 20's I wasnt a good shot.
    Steel then got a horrible rap. The stuff was true garbage in the early 90's. It was literally a 25yd round. It was also 12$ a box even back then. Lead 4's were $3.99. I was raising 3 kids, making 25k a year and shooting 300 ducks a year. I didnt feel bad about what shells i bought and used. We didnt have the science we do now available, and unless you got a DU magazine, you didnt see pics of ducks dying from lead poisoning.

People laugh at California going to a complete lead ban in ammo, but its proven fact that California Condors die when eating just 1 lead bullet out of a deer carcass.

I'm no biologist, just a guy who believes lead in certain environments isnt healthy.

I also think a complete ban is ridiculous.
    Out of 80 plus ducks i killed this year, i lost 3 ducks. 2 bluebills in choppy big water, and a gadwall that a boykin wouldnt go get. deep water and wind blowing hard..
    Interesting, good point.

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    Let me get this straight... you killed 80 of the 83 ducks that you fired at this season? That is pretty damn impressive.
    Carla Dee

No, but no ducks i hurt, flew away. And now that i think about it, not many if any birds that i stood up and shot at kept flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Carla Dee View Post
    Let me get this straight... you killed 80 of the 83 ducks that you fired at this season? That is pretty damn impressive.
    Misses happen, steel or lead. The point is i didnt cripple any off. A guy knows if he hits a duck. Obvious. 3 shells and a duck in range, it dont stand much chance. Understand?