Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brent Venables new defense coach for clemson

Default Brent Venables new defense coach for clemson

How do y'all feel about this hire. I can honestly say I know nothing about him.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

not so sure about it myself but we will see.

I like it! Good hire! He will fit in nicely with Dumbo and crew.

Its a good hire IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I just love the new standard of "good" up thar. Venables defenses have consistantly landed in the lower half of the top 50. Good hire.

It was a shitty hire, as JAB said his defenses haven't been anything stellar. He's had some stud players too yet Oklahoma's defense is what's always let them down in big games.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

LOL

ask any sooner what they think of venables.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Based on Johnny Omlet's record of having egg on his face, it must be a GREAT HIRE since he's laughing at it!!!! Stoops was pulling out all the stops to get him to stay. We shall see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

LMAO. "Pulling out all the stops" by hiring his brother to replace and demote Venables? Back up off the koolaid Art...

As a Clemson fan, I'm not too happy with this hire. Venables is a great LB coach, and a great recruiter, but I have my doubts on him running the defense. Time will tell, but I just think there were plenty of great candidates out there, especially for the money he will get....Hopefully he will prove me wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by artdevilish View Post
    Based on Johnny Omlet's record of having egg on his face, it must be a GREAT HIRE since he's laughing at it!!!! Stoops was pulling out all the stops to get him to stay. We shall see.
    Easy now.....

It amuses me that you're so concerned with Tater Tech's hire JAB. Funny, I cant find nearly as many Taters that give a damn who y'all have hired....

:eatup:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Y'all didn't really think that Daboo was going to hire someone with enough ability to replace himself now did you? Thanks Terryjoehiram. You, Sir are the true gift that keeps on giving...

Interesting twist.... Mike Stoops was considered for Clemson D-Coord... I predicted Bob Stoops would take care of his brother and bring him back to OU.... but I sure did not see Clemson hiring Venables.

Only reason Bob Stoops sweetened the pot was to "help" Venables out in the negotiations...

The only real winner is OU bringing Mike Stoops back... and Venables doubling his salary. I don't see the ROI.
    "I never met a dog I didn't like" ..slightly twisted words by Will Rogers

"When dogs make mistakes, don't hold it against the dog, point the finger at yourself"
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    "It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

They doubled the salary of a guy who was being pushed out the door of his current job? You gotta be shitting me. What is Rickybob paying this one?

Eat up Feets? Yes. Eat up with winning in November. You bet.

at least we didn't have to promote a position coach...

Quote Originally Posted by cudexter View Post
    at least we didn't have to promote a position coach...
    Tell us what Dabo was again?

got me

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Y'all didn't really think that Daboo was going to hire someone with enough ability to replace himself now did you? Thanks Terryjoehiram. You, Sir are the true gift that keeps on giving...
    dumbass comment. Venables was a serious candidate to replace Bowden when Dabo was hired. If Dabo was afraid he wouldn't pick someone that was in the running for HIS job in the first place.

Venables is one of the most respected defensive coordinators in college football. If the standard for hiring a DC was scoring defense rank only, you would have a point. But the Big 12 has the best offenses in the country, year in, year out. I don't give a shit about scoring defense rank as a sole predictor of success. Clemson was around #13 in scoring defense in 2010 and was 6-7.

CU has the talent to whip these shitty offenses in the ACC every which way from Sunday. All I want him to do is motivate, simplify, and DEMAND fundamentals.

Will he be a good fit and be successful at CU? Who the hell knows? All I know is CU could have done alot worse than the defensive coordinator at Oklahoma, who has been there since 1999. It's a good day when the coots are criticizing this hire.

To his credit, he has I think 5 Big 12 Defensive POY, 2 Butkus Award winners, and most importantly 5 conference championships and 2 national title appearances under his belt. Ellis Johnson didn't sniff that from a mile away.

Typical coot reaction. I remember pages of threads started by coots in this forum about a High school coach running the tater tech offense last year also.
    Last edited by LowcountryBuck; 01-19-2012 at 09:02 AM.