Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Wee Tee Clear Cuts

you never know

You get a tax break on a conservation easement because you give away the rights to subdivide and develop. So let's say I devalue my property by $400,000 by giving up the right to subdivide it into trailer lots. I get a tax break at my current tax rate of say 25%. I give away $400,000 to get a tax break of $100,000. That's still $300,000 donation to the cause of preserving land. People that say conservation easements are only used by greedy people to get a tax breaks either don't understand easements or they don't understand arithmetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    You get a tax break on a conservation easement because you give away the rights to subdivide and develop. So let's say I devalue my property by $400,000 by giving up the right to subdivide it into trailer lots. I get a tax break at my current tax rate of say 25%. I give away $400,000 to get a tax break of $100,000. That's still $300,000 donation to the cause of preserving land. People that say conservation easements are only used by greedy people to get a tax breaks either don't understand easements or they don't understand arithmetic.
    Some posters on this thread seem to be saying the only coastal plain land that are put in the CE category are swamps. I can show you what I think are an assload of wetlands in Myrtle Beach that were indeed developed. Pretty sure I lived in one of those flood zones from '98-/06. There have to be loopholes in wetland conservation legislation if a CE is not in place.

They also seem to be implying that having wealth is immoral in and of itself.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    THIS............It is also a "HUGE" upfront cost to the landowner to even get into a Conservation Easement Agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Who has implied that having wealth is immoral? Wetlands are filled all the time to build neighborhoods, whats your point?

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post
    Some posters on this thread seem to be saying the only coastal plain land that are put in the CE category are swamps. I can show you what I think are an assload of wetlands in Myrtle Beach that were indeed developed. Pretty sure I lived in one of those flood zones from '98-/06. There have to be loopholes in wetland conservation legislation if a CE is not in place.

They also seem to be implying that having wealth is immoral in and of itself.
    Wetland mitigation bank I believe is what you are reffering to as the "loophole"...I could be wrong about that..
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Having bought countless credits I will be the first to say that mitigation banking is a complete racket!!

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    Who has implied that having wealth is immoral? Wetlands are filled all the time to build neighborhoods, whats your point?
    I dunno. Who was it that implied rich people only used conservation easements as a tax break while they developed the piss out of high and dry land? If I missed your true point, spell it out for a simple simon. I'll apologize in advance if you were implying they are simply stupid rather than immoral.

Please provide some examples of a large tract that a) has development potential b) is not predominately wetlands C) is not owned by someone who is looking to capitalize on the incentives. I care about the land too but I am not naive enough to put an encumbrance on my land that would detract from its value.
    My point in stating some of MB wetlands area is now home to subdivisions was to point out that even some swamps in Galivants Ferry could be developed some day. It can't be much more flood prone than North Conway or parts of Socastee.

My original point which may have been misconstrued by my ranting was that a majority of conservation easements IN MY OPINION serve a purpose other than the land owner simply wanting to conserve the land. That can be tax credits, backdoor deals with regulating agencies, etc. Yes there are some out there who put conservation first but I feel they are in the minority. Yes Galivants Ferry could be developed someday but property values/demand dont warrant the process of filling wetlands.
    Last edited by bitesize; 03-08-2012 at 06:38 PM.

My original point which may have been misconstrued by my ranting was that a majority of conservation easements IN MY OPINION serve a purpose other than the land owner simply wanting to conserve the land. That can be tax credits, backdoor deals with regulating agencies, etc. Yes there are some out there who put conservation first but I feel they are in the minority. Yes Galivants Ferry could be developed someday but property values/demand dont warrant the process of filling wetlands.
    10-4. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupelo View Post
    Do not believer that we have lobbyist in the foresty.
    South Carolina Forestry Association, Cam Crawford (President)

SC FORPAC

Lablimper, if you dont believe that BMPs have helped improve timber harvesting operations in SC, you head is in the sand and you are still throwing around an uneducated opinion like its no big deal.

I cant figure out if I should chuckle or not at some of the posts I read regarding timber harvesting on this site. I almost feel sorry for the whiny forestry product consumers that post here...almost.

I think I am gonna setup another clear cut next week in honor of all of yall. You should have seen the beautiful timber I cruised today that is gonna get turned into lumber, paper, and other usable REAL products. 24,000 board feet to the acre and I cant wait to watch the ink dry on the contract next week and see the logging crew coming.

Imagine what some of yall might think about the clones that will be replanted.

Wood Is Good...Grow Some Green

Private, State, and Federal easements are all put in place for various reasons. My job is to direct and apply a landowners objective. Tax breaks, wetland mit banks, conservation easements, wetland reserve programs, parking lots, MONEY, wildlife, apartments, single family housing developments, industrial developement...you name it....the consumers drive it.

the consumers = You People, Us, ME, Lablimper, even tree huggers

Why would you not capitalize on timber? It is a crop just like corn, soybean and wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    THIS............It is also a "HUGE" upfront cost to the landowner to even get into a Conservation Easement Agreement.
    I know of one fella who thought he would be smart to get a tax break over an easement. He went and started the process and was given a bill for upfront expenses that set his ass way back.

The easement was not finalized.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

bitesize, you still have not answered my question, are you involved in any organizations? Are you in the Lowcountry this weekend?

The tax break will never equal the value removed from the property from a development standpoint.
    cut\'em

I am a developer. I completely agree that the tax break is less than unrealized development profits, but just because you have a large tract of land doesnt mean your property has development potential. We are never going to convince each other of our position so I will just agree to disagree.

Fair enough. I would agree with your stance in most places in the country however I would say that the folks I deal with are different than most.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by PP&WS View Post
    Why would you not capitalize on timber? It is a crop just like corn, soybean and wheat.
    The state has the right to clearcut Wee Tee or any of their property. I was just hoping (selfishly) that they wouldn't all at one time in one generation. Trees are like corn, soybeans, and wheat except that they take decades to grow back.

Gbelly, I realize I'm a consumer. But I'm a hunter also and my "needs" are in conflict with my hobbies/affections.

I was just hoping (selfishly) that they wouldn't all at one time in one generation.
    Contact Harvey Belser and ask him about the plan for Wee Tee.

Manchester State Forest
    6740 Headquarters Road
    Wedgefield, SC 29168
    Phone: (803) 494-8196
    Forest Director: Harvey Belser
    Email : manchesterst@ftc-i.net
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

The state has the right to clearcut Wee Tee or any of their property. I was just hoping (selfishly) that they wouldn't all at one time in one generation. Trees are like corn, soybeans, and wheat except that they take decades to grow back.

Gbelly, I realize I'm a consumer. But I'm a hunter also and my "needs" are in conflict with my hobbies/affections.
    What does hunting have to do with cutting timber? I love a cutover for the abundance of wildlife.