Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wee Tee Clear Cuts

Default Wee Tee Clear Cuts

Lawyers: Clear-cutting hurts Wee Tee quality
    By Bo Petersen
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012
    JAMESTOWN -- The overcup oak is one of those hardwood swamp bottom trees that most people couldn't even name. Hollow and stringy-fibered, the tree is considered worthless for timbering.

Photo Gallery
    Wee Tee State Forest

The remote 12,000 acre Wee Tee State Forest sits across the river from Jamestown in Berkeley County and is owned and managed by the South Carolina Forestry Commission. Critics oppose the commission allowing clear-cutting in the Forest.

The oak grows huge, though, and it gets in the cutters' way. Its sweeping crown is massive, and drops a lot of acorns, so the tree dominates the bottoms and attracts animals. Wildlife, outdoors enthusiasts and hunters are drawn to it.

In the remote Wee Tee State Forest, that's the stuff of conflict.

Contractors working for the state are clear-cutting large timber tracts -- including the overcup oak -- in the out-of-the-way Santee River bottoms forest across the river from Jamestown in Berkeley County. Clear-cutting is removing all or nearly all the trees at once.

Two Mount Pleasant attorneys want it to stop. They have filed Freedom of Information Act requests with the S.C. Forestry Commission for records of the timbering harvest in the 12,000-acre forest the state bought nine years ago.

The dispute drives to the heart of the recurring battle over publicly owned forests: balancing uses. The lands are revenue-producing timber tracts. They are sought-after acres for recreation. And they hold an opportunity to restore native bottomlands for people and wildlife that have been overrun by centuries of timbering and other pursuits.

One of the men fighting the clear-cutting is Ellison Smith IV, an environmental attorney who has forged a reputation as a lawyer of choice for developers struggling with regulatory agencies.

The other, Gray Taylor, is a real estate lawyer with forestry degrees.

The two hunt back in the forest, and Smith said it holds the biggest overcup oaks he's ever seen, as well as cypress and other large trees.

"I want to make sure (the forest) is managed in an appropriate way, to produce revenue value and to benefit wildlife," Smith said.

"Most people have never seen a tree this big," Taylor said. If it's clear-cut, "that's two generations of people who will never walk in that kind of forest (being sacrificed) for $800 per acre for wood chips."

Forestry officials are a little flummoxed. Every inch of the Wee Tee has been timbered before, they said.

Previous timbering company owners "went in, took the biggest and the best (timber), and left those trees of lower quality," said Harvey Belser, forest director.

The idea behind clear-cutting is to restore the natural mix of tree species and to provide transitional open-land habitats for wildlife, Belser said. The cut acres are dispersed among acres of various stages of growth.

Getting to the nub of this dispute means understanding "high-grade" timber harvesting.

Timber companies owned the tract before the state bought it in 2003 and practiced high-grade harvesting:

When the price was good for a certain type of wood, say ash, those were the trees the company cut. It amounted to selective logging rather than clear-cutting, leaving weaker or unwanted trees, like the overcup.

So in the Wee Tee bottoms, some overcups were felled to get them out of the way. But a lot of them were left standing.

Along with the cypress, they make up some of the biggest trees in the bottoms today.

When the state took over the Wee Tee tract, the approach changed. The state is clear-cutting tracts 100 acres at a time, a few hundred acres per year, taking all but a handful of older-growth trees. The overcups go to chip mills.

The cutting is producing an average revenue of nearly $200,000 per year.

The Wee Tee is a river bottom hardwood swamp. It's not a flat swath of flooded bottom but a rolling landscape of low ridges and cypress sloughs. Its centerpiece is Wee Tee Lake, a narrow, cypress-fringed lake that looks more like a river.

The logging is taking place mostly in the most remote acres between the lake and the Santee, with one poorly bridged road and little access except by boat.

"Clear-cutting is the best option we have. I feel we're going at it in an environmentally sound way," Belser said. "We want to restore (Wee Tee) to its original glory. It's not going to happen tomorrow, probably not in my lifetime. It's going to take some growing pains. It's going to take a long time."

"That's ridiculous. You don't go in and clear-cut big square blocks. They're doing it because it's easier, nobody cares, it's out of sight and it keeps them in revenue," Taylor said. "It's like DOT (the state Department of Transportation) following a 1950s road manual."

The better approach would be to cut smaller blocks and leave large trees where wildlife feeds, he said.

"You'd think a public forest would want to set a better example," he said.

Taylor and Smith plan to pursue this, they said.

"It takes 60 years for a bottom hardwood to mature, and they will have clear-cut the entire tract in 20 years. You're not going to have a dang tree left," Smith said. The bottoms are isolated and hard to navigate, but "the people of South Carolina still need a place to go that's scary, or potentially scary."

Reach <strong>Bo Petersen</strong> at 937-5744.

Copyright © 1995 - 2012 Evening Post Publishing Co..
    DILLIGAF

Any of you timber professionals shed some knowledgeable insight on this?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I think any and all wetlands logging is bullshit!

I'm in agreement with this case. Timbering should be done as suggested or not at all imho. The overcup oak is crucial to wildlife in the Santee region.

I'm not anti-timber; just favor saving the overcups for the wildlife.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

I am no Pro, but you can do it a number of ways depending on what you want in the end. If they want to restore it to it's origonal glory, clear cutting is what I would do. Maybe leaving the big trees here and there. Most mills/chippers can't take a real big tree anyway. As long as they don't plant it back in pine trees like they are doing in some parts of the swamp.
    Last edited by santee11; 01-18-2012 at 10:03 AM.

This is state owned land, but would it not be considered fair, for the state to recoup costs through utilization of it's assets, or do you think that the $30 WMA permit we pay is going to keep it running?
    Last edited by BigBrother; 01-18-2012 at 10:09 AM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

How does clear cutting aid in its return to its original glory? I'm asking honestly as I am no timber expert.
    Last edited by duckduckdog; 01-18-2012 at 10:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

I think the point that Gray and Ellison are trying to make is that it is a WMA and could be forested in a manner other than clearcutting trees such as the overcup that have little to no commercial value, but do have value for wildlife, game and the hunters who pursue them. Ellison has hunted there since before it was a WMA. Why not manage it so that it can be enjoyed in our lifetime? You aren't going to find many acorns in those clear cuts for a while.
    DILLIGAF

It has come to light that one of the greenpeace attorneys, operates an eco-tour business that operates out of that WMA...which as his business, he is essentially operating it cost free at the burden of the state tax payers.

The other greenpeach attorney, is an attorney for developers, who specialize in circumventing environmental laws.

Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm".
    Last edited by BigBrother; 01-18-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Ellison taught me that there is magic in a river bottom swamp. A clearcut is a clearcut.

Your "greenpeace attorney" is one of this South Carolina's finest woods and waterman. Bar none.

there is magic in a river bottom swamp. A clearcut is a clearcut.
    I completely agree.

I hate a clear cut. It is an eyesore...practically a blight.

However, will the money to operate this piece of property come from magic, or by logging it? Is clear cutting the best approach for timber/forest management?

However it may appear, I am not taking a side, I am looking for answers myself...

Clearcutting any timber that wasn't planted is gay. End of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckdog View Post
    How does clear cutting aid in its return to its original glory? I'm asking honestly as I am no timber expert.
    That swamp from what I have heard from the Forester in charge is a mess. Like the write up says the folks that owned it before had high graded it a few times and probably clear cut it, hugo also. So what they are saying is if you have a forest that has been high graded it would take a 100(give or take) years for the forest to get back into good shape on it's own because all that is in there now are trashy trees(for the most part). If you go in and clear all the trash out and just start over it cuts the time it takes to get back into good shape in half.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    However, will the money to operate this piece of property come from magic, or by logging it? Is clear cutting the best approach for timber/forest management?

However it may appear, I am not taking a side, I am looking for answers myself...
    Perhaps, the State should discontinue the aquisition of these properties that it can ill afford to manage. Bellfast Plantation, Jocassee Gorges, apparantly Wee Tee, to name but a few.Sell these properties back to private ownership where they should be in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Perhaps, the State should discontinue the aquisition of these properties that it can ill afford to manage. Bellfast Plantation, Jocassee Gorges, apparantly Wee Tee, to name but a few.Sell these properties back to private ownership where they should be in the first place.
    That sir, I agree with 100%.

Then you could end up with a situation that is equally unpalatable, like Cantey Bay and a few others....

I agree with cleaning up the "Trash Tree's"

There is a way to do low impact logging, and not tear up the landscape.

Bohica, that's what Conservation Easements are for, but your point is well taken.

There some very good "plantation loggers" that use track cutting machines and the like, but they are typically not high volume loggers, which this sale probably called for.