Thread: Public vs. Private

Weather's hot, but duck hunting is in the air
    Saturday, Aug 12, 2006

By Joe Mosby

It's mid-August, it's hot, it's dry and Arkansas duck hunters are fussing about the upcoming season - which has not yet been set.

You might say it's a typical Arkansas summer.

Guidelines handed down by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service call for another "liberal" duck hunting season this fall and winter, meaning 60 days of hunting and six ducks a day bag limit.

This is for the Mississippi Flyway, and individual states can set rules within this framework and can even restrict the hunting soon, which is rarely done. But Arkansas has done it in recent years, cutting the daily limit on mallard hens or "susies" from the federally allowed two to one. It's a gesture to reduce the number of mallard hens that are killed.

Arkansas has also banned the use of spinning wing decoys, but other states in the flyway have not followed suit.

So what's aggravating duck hunters at this point? One, some don't like the plan to zone the state into two duck hunting zones. Two, some say the season dates proposed by the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission staff run too far into January.

For eternity there have been two strong opinions among duck hunters on season dates. One segment, mostly hunters who use pump-flooded fields, wants early dates to take advantage of the first migrating duck flocks and to avoid "freeze-up," the occasional cold snaps that leave areas of the state in ice.

The second segment, which includes many hunters using public lands, wants the duck season to run as late as possible to take advantage of late migrating flocks of birds.

There is a growing third element, too, though it's not loud and vigorous in making its opinions known to the regulation-setting commissioners of the AGFC.

These are concerned hunters who believe too many ducks are being killed. They believe, by reducing hunting in some form, duck populations stand a better chance of increasing.

This group has a strong proponent in Dr. Mickey Heitmeyer, the University of Missouri waterfowl biologist who is one of the nation's most respected authorities on ducks. Heitmeyer has done extensive work in Arkansas, especially on the Bayou Meto Wildlife Management Area, an AGFC facility that needs no introduction to duck hunters of the United States.

In an extensive report just issued, Heitmeyer advocates a ban on spinning-wing decoys, hen harvest restrictions, shorter season lengths and condensed season frameworks.

He is bucking the Fish and Wildlife Service's insistence on following the North American Waterfowl Management Plan, formulated in 1986, that has only three options for duck seasons - liberal of 60 days, six ducks; moderate of 45 days, four ducks; restricted of 30 days, three ducks. Federal authorities say these can't be altered, but individual states can reduce them.

Arkansas did not have to adopt a two-zone plan. But it was a strategy by the AGFC commissioners in case a reduced duck season came along in the near future. Another federal rule is that a state has to make a five-year commitment to something like zoning. A new five-year period begins this season, so Arkansas had to say "yes" or "no" on the zoning issue or be locked out of it until 2011.

AGFC commissioners have said the two zones could have identical hunting dates or they could have separate dates. The staff has proposed an opening date of a week earlier in the Northeast Arkansas duck zone and a week earlier closing date.

The commissioners will officially set the duck and goose seasons and other rules at their meeting Thursday in Little Rock.

--------

Joe Mosby is the retired news editor of the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission and Arkansas' best known outdoor writer. His work is distributed by the Arkansas News Bureau in Little Rock. He can be reached by e-mail at jhmosby@cyberback.com.

For goodness sakes, don't tell me people in other states are at least thinking about shorter seasons and more restrictive limtis than what the Feds allow.
    Seems they have their own private/public issues too - and I throught SC had the only assholes in the country.
    One of the these days, we'll learn that AHM isn't what it's cracked up to be and stop hiding behind it - it does away with the common sense part of things and tells people that they can't be seeing what they are - longer seasons and higher limits hurt the ducks - in pure numbers killed and by "inducing" more people to hunt which adds to the increased killing and increases pressure.
    When are we going to learn that 60/6 is too much - the seasons were never that liberal when we had ducks - so why now? Guess we're smarter and have learned how to count the paper ducks - now if we could learn how to actually see them while hunting.
    I always thought a website was a selling tool, not a product repair manual!

You must remember that our private vs. public debate got going when the private boys started trying to promote statewide rest days. Of course, these "statewide" rest days only pertained to public areas. Private areas would continue to be huntable even when public areas were closed.

Many public hunters offered to support a compromise, true statewide rest days where all areas of South Carolina would be closed during these rest days. The private owners would not accept the offer and nothing ever happened.

Then, the private land owners tried to create buffer zones around private land. Again, it crashed and burned.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Another hit there Rubberhead.
    I do get tired of the selective memory some have on here that always leads to making the public fellow look like the bad guy when in most cases that couldn't be further from the truth.
    The public/private issue has been further aggravated by the continued opposition from some private impoundment owners to anything they see as might affecting them negatively in the short run - the statewide rest days(as mentioned), improvements at the refuge, lowering mallard limits, bait stations(I agree these are very controversial, but at the same time some private impoundments have done this very thing in the past) - others issues include surveys to determine the number of waterfowl on private impoundments in an attempt to determine a base line number, the use of tamies on many impoundments, the continued thinking concerning "my way or no way" - but remember, it's all the public hunters fault for things being the way they are - give me a break.

Originally posted by Nab:
    I do get tired of the selective memory some have on here that always leads to making the public fellow look like the bad guy when in most cases that couldn't be further from the truth.

"affecting them negatively in the short run - the statewide rest days(as mentioned), improvements at the refuge, lowering mallard limits, bait stations(I agree these are very controversial,
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">I guess you SELECTIVELY forgot to mention closing down the swamp and making a REST AREA in there.

And the fact that you backed off that idea real quick when some public hunters raised opposition.

Remember this?

Ain't backed off of anything CD - sitll working on it - I did get a call from JABIII saying he heard from alot of people saying they would fight it - funny that it was him that called - and most of the opposition was from the private fellows on here in the form bashing it because all of their ideas were not incorperated into it.
    I still stand by my post - the only thing you've ever offered up - and it's a good idea that I hope comes to pass - has been banning the spinners - that and singing the praises of alot of people that try and block any meaningful change that is brought up.

Heavy is the head that knows all.

Nab you prove yourself to be a hypocrite every time you open your mouth. You do nothing but piss bitch and moan on the internet. I am surprised that they even let you on here anymore. You don't even kill ducks. At least if you knew anything about duck hunting you might be a little bit interesting to listen to. But you don't. Please go find someone who can teach you how to kill ducks in 2006 so that you will not be such an eternal bore next year.And while you are busy attacking everyone why don't you look in the mirror. What have YOU ever done for the ducks? Your legacy will be that you were the public duck hunters token WAC member and they laughed at you there just like we laugh at you here Hypocrite Boy. Nub, you need to quit worrying so much about what is going on inside the dike and start working on all the problems outside the dike because that is where the problems are. Of course you won't though. You can't get the green eye of jealousy off the private property owners.
    Well I was too young and pretty and the whores wouldn't leave me alone.

I knew it wouldn't be long before JABIII's little hero boy would chime in - Bamm Bamm, like I've told you many times before I don't really care what you think I do or what you think about me - you do a good job sucking up to a few on here and that's it - that's goes for tigger too for when he chimes in.

You still don't kill any ducks and you still haven't done anything for the ducks Hypocrite.
    Well I was too young and pretty and the whores wouldn't leave me alone.

JABIII this. JABIII that. JABIII said... JABIII...

Find someone else to stalk...

Good one JABIII.
    Bamm Bamm - for what it's worth I've listed many times what I have done - now for the bigger question - what in the hell have you ever done besides kiss people's ass?