Thread: refuge meeting

Had a great meeting with the refuge this morning - got some info on needs and things they want to do this year, saw some duck and geese, even banded a couple.
    We have identified a couple of areas on the Bluff unit to get planted this year - the immediate goal is 2 fields totaling about 30 acres that have not been planted and flooded in over 10 yrs - we need about $5k to get this done - of which we have over $3k right now - this part will get done this year - this was pledged this morning.
    But we're not stopping there - other areas were identified and fundraising will continue.
    Thanks to Mark P. for having us down; RN, JS, DA and artdevilish for taking the time to help.
    The area we looked at to be planted and flooded this year did hold about 5k mallards 2 yrs ago when they planted just a couple of acres of it - so this can work!
    Thanks again to all that have showed their support - together we'll v get something done that our kids will have to enjoy!
    Speaking of kids - Mark said he would love to have anybody come - and bring the kids - to help with the banding efforts this month and next.
    Also, they have alot of ducks coming to roost on a few ponds that he says is pretty awsome to see - we're heading back down next week one afternoon to see it for ourselves!
    Thanks again,
    Nab.
    I always thought a website was a selling tool, not a product repair manual!

Now, that's the way to get the ball rolling Nab. Progress reports are a must when the rubber meets the road.
    Do they need additional money now,before this years poker run?

I wasn't clear on that point.

Good job.

Not to rain on your parade but those numbers are bullshit. 2 years ago the most mallards that they had was 825 on the whole refuge. They had 70 acres of corn planted that year too.

Here are the numbers-

http://samigbird.fws.gov/sbreport2.p...bs_type=Ground

And here is the post about there being 70 acres of planted corn 2 years ago-

http://www.scducks.com/ubb/cgi-bin/u...;f=41;t=000097
    Well I was too young and pretty and the whores wouldn't leave me alone.

Thanks CD - yes, this $5k is just to get those 2 fields planted - $15k was the number to get everything done this year - so we're still working - not stopping at the $5k number - will keep ya'll updated. They have been working to get some old areas in shape to plant - they have rental money for a trackhoe and will be getting a new one for the refuge soon - it's already been approved - that will help alot - need to lay the groundwork before alot of this new planting can be done.
    boom boom - they had more corn than the couple acres planted that I spoke of that year and this year - these are 2 floodable pieces of land that other than the couple of acres planted within them a few yrs back they have not been planted or flooded in over 10 yrs.
    Don't know how long those 5k stayed around - just forwarded what I was told - when counts are done, they might not be there and might be back tomorrow - so whatever.
    Go back to bed - on other words help or shut up.

Nab-
    When are the banding dates? I have a 6yr. old who would love to help with her dad!
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I'll call and find out for sure and let ya'll know!
    This should be fun!