Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSA: Never Wear A Ring Around Machinery

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default PSA: Never Wear A Ring Around Machinery

I always used to take my wedding band off before working around any kind of machinery if it's operating. I had an uncle that lost his ring finger because of his wedding band in the cotton mill. If you gotta do any kind of work around running machinery put your ring in your pocket. If you are afraid you'll lose it, put it in your dang billfold. If you are worried about your wife getting upset either 1) don't tell her, or 2) tell her to kiss your butt cause it's your finger not hers.

A friend of mines dad was a lineman for Duke Power. He was working on a line up on a wooden pole wearing his pole climbers one afternoon. Unbeknowngst to him his wedding band had worn a tiny pinhole in his insulated glove. When he grabbed the line the power went through his ring, up his arm and down his leg and came out through his left pole climber into the pole. According to the guys working with him it hit him so hard it broke his safety belt, knocked him about 10' away from the pole, and he hit the ground unconscious. His whole left side was burned and he almost lost his left hand. It was touch and go for a while before they finally decided NOT to amputate it.

He was lucky because had it gone through his chest instead of down his left side more than likely it would have blown his heart down to a dead stop. A dead stop is the worse kind of stop.

Last edited by Mergie Master; 01-10-2012 at 03:39 AM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Ouch!
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

Um, yeah. I could have gone without seeing that.

My dad stopped wearing his when he was welding on some disc's at the farm. A piece of slag came off and "welded" to his ring. 3rd degree burns and the ring had to be cut off for it to heal.

I have had enough close calls with mine, with it snagging and such on things that I dont wear mine either. I keep it on my key ring and put it on when out with the wife or at formal functions.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

My grand dad accidentally shorted his wedding band across the positive pole on a car starter. It turned white hot in about one second and all he could do was listen to it sizzle while he ran around looking for water to quench it.

When I was at the shipyard, a safety poster was circulated that showed a ring attached to an airplane strut. It also had a finger and tendons hanging from it. A skydiver snagged his ring and ripped his finger off.

It's possible to get rings cut, doweled, and soldered so that they break away before ripping off a finger.

I've been in the habit of taking mine off anytime I do any type of woodwork or work requiring the use of power tools. I've seen quite a few accidents where a ring got hung and made it worse, same goes for too loose sleeves on shirts.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

MY ring arced out on a welding table one time. Let's say it did not feel that great.

I just had to take out my dip, and walk around to get some fresh air.

Dern.

Man dern. Put one of these things * beside these kind of posts. It's semi early still.

good thing i sold mine for beer money

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    i had to do the same

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I was inhaling a cajun filet biscuit from Bojangles... It almost hit the screen.

I have an active petition for Mergie's picture posting powers to be "ninja'ed".

It is in the way of a pm, you have to pm Simpleman. Title it "Ban Mergie".
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

A guy I used to work with when I first started doing electrical work, always wore a chunk of gold around his neck. I asked him about it one day and he told me he was working in a junction box. His wedding ring grounded out between the box and a hot wire. He showed me his finger that now had a permanent "wedding burn" and the chunk of gold is the shape the ring took when he snatched it off and threw it down. The entire length of his finger is burnt as well as the tips of the fingers that grabbed the ring.

He said he didn't know what hurt the most... the accident, or the constant reminder he was married to "That Bitch".
    HRCH Lemon's Lady Chesney MH
    SHR Lemon's Pinch Of Long Cut aka Hagen
    "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative." -Mordecai Siegal
    "If forced to choose between romantic love and my dog, I'd sure choose my dog." -Solange

Isn't that his middle finger? Not sure why he would be wearing it on his middle finger, maybe that's what married guys do after they get into an argument with their wives.

Good thing I got rid of the bitch, not something I have to worry about anymore.

I want to see the pic. Buncha pansies....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Are you blind?

Red X
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Ahhh, I see it now. Yucky

Good thing I hadn't eaten lunch yet. That whole getting degloved by your ring thing gives me the heebee jeebees without seeing that photo.