Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Island

Coastal gunners, please take note. 3 or 4 years ago, the ban on hunting the tidal areas within the South Island perimeter expired. Which means that for the past few years, hunting the jetty marsh, Mosquito Creek, and the creeks on the North Santee side became legal again after about 20 years of closure. I just read that DNR is going to the Budget and Control Board to renew the ban in time for this season. DNR and SCDU are putting a happy face on this, as something "every law abiding hunter should support".

Well, this is BS. Over the past decades, South Island has been run as the secretive, private fiefdom of its DNR manager, Bob Joyner, who I hear is retiring. In recent years waterfowl management on South Island has become non-existent. In my opinion, South Carolina hunters should oppose the renewal of this ban unless we get some assurances that quality waterfowl management will be re-introduced at South Island, and that there will be some public input over what goes on out there. The guy from DU that was quoted was named Mario Insabella, who I am not familiar with. If you know something about this situation, this would be the time to let someone know how you feel.

Great post GMAC... we don't need to get something else shoved down our craw. Thanks for keeping this above board.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

tradorion Coots

Go get 'em boyz!! It will be very interesting to see where the waterfowl management of S. Island goes now... had not heard that Joyner was retiring...

T

i called the DNR office to ask about hunting mosqito creek and the surrounding marshes and they told me it was part of the Tom Yawkey heritage preserve and that i couldnt hunt it? So has the ban already taken place?

This board is a good place for a petition. I don't know about you guys, but I don't need DNR to define what makes me ethical and actaully concerned about the resource.
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

Jay - That is the very point. They will lie to your face about this. Several years ago I got into a discussion about this with a fellow. We were wondering if it would be legal to hunt a particular spot. He called DNR and was told exactly what you were told. So I did some legal research, and discovered that bans on hunting navigable (public) waterways expire, and must be renewed every 5 years. The ban at SI was way out. I must have asked 10 people at DNR how such refuges are created, and nobody had the slightest idea, or at least they weren't saying. So I picked up the code and figured it out for myself.

Never fuck with an attorney...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Gmac, I was told to my face by DNR oficers that I could not hunt in there because it was part of the Yawkey preserve. I have since moved to more fruitful waters. What do we need to do to keep this BS from becoming reality?
    It\'s better to burn out than to fade away.

Never fuck with an attorney...
    Oh how true this is. My father is a Judge, and I learned a long time ago not to fuck with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

With DNR you have to separate the informed from the ignorant. I take exception to the statement that they "lie to your face". That is crap. Many in DNR just simply are not informed about changing laws.

Fight the good fight but don't label someone a liar because they are uninformed and ignorant of a legal change.

Unfortunately many provide answers to questions to which they think they know the answer, instead they don't know the issue well enough.

I support your statement about stepping up the inquiry but keep your insults above the belt.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

tradorion Coots

Remember this boys- before you sink us poor little officers- we are often going on information passed down from our attorneys... as we know- opinions and all that are like...

I have heard that North Inlet is covered under that Baruch King's Grant and in the old days they kept EVERYONE out of it (when the family used to hunt/fish)... so by that logic- it could to this day be closed to the public since the deed has been maintained and King's Grant can be traced...

No clue how that applies to S. Island and it's lineage but there are ways to prove and disprove the same argument... Lawyers rarely make sense to me- they speak in tongues!

I will run the question of the waters around S. Island up the chain of command and see what comes back down...

T

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

I have heard that Joyner is retiring - I also understand that a new intense waterfowl management plan is being prepared. Bob Joyner's salary or most of it is paid by the Yawkey foundation.
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

Mario Insabella is the state DU chairman.

Not sure about anything else....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

I have asked for an inquiry from Mario.
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

I don't mean to paint with a broad brush when I say they lie to your face. That has certainly not been my experience with 99.9% of DNR personnel. It was not a well thought out statement and I don't mean to impugn the great folks at DNR. This issue gets my blood pressure up. I apologize for my intemperance. However, the individual we talked to knew, or, considering his position, certainly should have known what the deal was. And I believe he did.
    I talked to Mr. Insabella today. He couldn't have been nicer. He promised to get some facts, and invited me to meet with him Friday in Columbia, which I intend to do.

Yes, the Yawkey foundation pays the manager's salary. But the property is still owned by the state of SC. You and me.

tradorion Coots

GMAC- no offense taken at all! Just pointing out that sometimes we give the information out that is given and things have lag time...

Also- with everything going on, sometimes we just don't know. But they ("The Powers That BE") have been doing a lot better in recent months getting thorough, timely information and changes to us...

But I always did like the answer "I do not know, but i can find out for you!"

T

so we can hunt mosquito creek and surrounding marshes but not if they pass this legislature? Is that correct?

Jeff - My conclusion was that yes, those areas are now legal to hunt. The article in "The Sun" said the same thing. Refuge status expires after 5 years, and its been a lot longer than that. But remember - you're on your own.

GMAC - Is that a disclaimer of sorts? CYA? Are you hunting these areas this year?
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Bo, In my business, CYA is the name of the game.