Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Preserve duck limit bill in SC

Jab , I would love to tell you all I know ,but you know I can't do that . I never said that the scdnr directly , and knowingly stocked certain counties with pen-raised turkeys . There are a handful of people in the state with permits to have turkeys in their possesion . If you want more turkeys in an area all you have to do is try to control your predators . You'll never get rid of all the predators ,but you can control them. You always here people that want to help the turkey talking about the food plots they're planting . I've never seen a starving turkey . I wish the nwtf would preach more on predator control . Back to the bill in senate. I have'nt talked to John Land in a while and I don't know much about this bill , but I am very interested.
    Yessir, these here are some Gen-u-wine wild tamie ducks. I can sell you 3 for $15 or a dozen for $75.

"Jab , I would love to tell you all I know ,but you know I can't do that . I never said that the scdnr directly , and knowingly stocked certain counties with pen-raised turkeys . "

Sure you did. You went so far as to state publicly, to a group of conservationists, that SCDNR even bought them from you...

I would be "disappointed" (spelled correctly) in myself as well.
    So are you saying that there is no health risk assciated with the pen raised ducks? Are you saying that if we do something to increase the population of migratory birds that the sates north of us will be able to feed an infinite number of waterfowl? They may not have much reason to fly this far south now. But lets say there are 500,000 mallards (just a number for example purposes.) And lets say that the northern states are keeping them fat and happy and they have no reason to leave. Nw lets say through the efforts of groups such as DU, Delta, and they Flyway FOundation, that number increases to 2,000,000 in 4 years, and then to 4,000,000 in 6 six years. These are just numbers, but will there still be enough food to support them. Could this change migratory patterns. I know it changes mine. I love Outback, and would eat there all the time if my wallet could support it, but if I go there and there is a 3 hour wait to get an open table, I'm going somewhere else. It's the same with ducks. The northern states will only be able to feed so many, and when we work to increase the population, eventually , there will be a waiting line inthe northern states that you say are holding the migratory birds. When this happens, they will not wait, they will move on. Hopefully we will have measures in place to take care of them when they do make it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Jab , I'm sorry you've been misinformed by someone. I promise you I never said the state bought turkeys from me . I will however say I know of an instance where birds were caught that were penraised and then released elsewhere. What does this have to do with anything . Are you looking for turkeys ? I can tell you where to buy them but you're on your own. Turkeys are a passion of mine , and it would be just fine with me if every branch had a hundred gobblers on it. I have had the honer of hunting some of what I considered to be the best turkey hunting land in the state. I think those days are almost over also. Been quite a while since I've heard thiry to fifty mature birds gobbling on a roost. The last good video footage I got of a lot of big birds was on the hill of the santee swamp in a field I hunt. There were twenty two birds with nine inch beards or better strutting in the field at one time. It was a site . There were 176 birds in that flock that hung around that field all the time. It's funny how some land is wintering ground and some breeding ground and some both.
    Yessir, these here are some Gen-u-wine wild tamie ducks. I can sell you 3 for $15 or a dozen for $75.

That's strange, dissa, b/c I distinctly remember you talking awhile back on this site about selling pen-reared birds to the state that were later released as "wild birds". Do you deny this?

I am not implying it, I am saying it outright...you, sir, are full of shit.

Duckduckdog , I'm not saying that there is no risk . But if you think that all disease will just stop if we get rid of released birds you're crazy. Nobody goes to greater lenghts to keep their birds healthy than a duck raiser. The cost to raise the birds is soo high that all it would take is one viral disease and that person would fold up cause he'd never recover . Duck raising is one of the most demanding jobs out there . There are only a handful of people in the US that raise birds in any number . If you'd spend some time talking to one of them you'd find out that they are not in it just for the money. Cause there's not that much in it. Don't give a shit what any of you think about the money end of it.

Low country sandlapper , please go back to page two of wildlife and habitat politics and look under penreared birds on page two and read what I said . Please do so before you accuse me of something . I will admit sometimes I say things that I should'nt and feel like I should give reference to back up what I say . A lot of stuff goes on that people don't know and dont need to know. Like that guy said " you can't handle the truth " .

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

honer...dissappointed......honor...disappointed... gesom freakin pete.

You mentioned the name of a fellow a few post up that I sure think a lot of. As I said a couple of years ago, if my livelihood was based on tamies, I would like them, too. If we are going to have them, can we keep them in cages and release them in the big rubber bands to the waterfowl hunters? then, those that escape the barrage of gunfire, return the survivors to the cages...Is there anyway to "train" these birds in masses to "come back home" when their weekly flight excercise is over?

Perhaps all tamie ponds can become preserves and shoot them 8 months out of the year...Perhaps February to September? I have no problem with that. Bait em w/ bread, corn, and candy corn....They love candy corn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

i was the guy that said that about Louisiana, and i have a hard time believing that a man who is in his early 30's, has been guiding/hunting almost every single day of the season for his whole life, whose father manages a large plantation on the edge of the lake out there, doesnt know what he's talking about. he has met thousands of people through his work from all over the country, and he didnt know there was such a thing as a tamie pond. this guy wouldnt lie to you either. i just dont really believe someone who has never met him a liar(that would be you disappointed). call me crazy but i would think he knows what he's talking about [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold