Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .17 hmr

Default .17 hmr

anyone shoot pigs with these on wma land after deer season?

I wouldn't use a 17 on a pig. 22 mag, but not enough lead in a 17.

Quote Originally Posted by climber View Post
    anyone shoot pigs with these on wma land after deer season?
    You're not really serious, are you?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Use it quite often on private land....put it in the earhole...haven't had one run off yet!

Quote Originally Posted by marlin035 View Post
    Use it quite often on private land....put it in the earhole...haven't had one run off yet!
    What's the largest hog/piglet you've done this with? Piglets I can see, but larger boars/sows I'd be wary. Anything but a perfect shot would be unethical, IMO.
    ~ George Washington

The beauty of using a 17 is that it is so accurate. It wouldn't be very ethical for a body shot but if you can thread it though the ear hole..... I've seen a deer killed with a double lung shot and it made jelly out of them with a 20 grain Gamepoint.

17HMR has less lead than a 22 mag but it carries very comparable energy out to around 100 yards due to speed.

I shot six squirrels last Tuesday from under a corn feeder. All shots were between 40 and 55 yards, all head shots. I'd be comfortable killing a pig with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    The beauty of using a 17 is that it is so accurate. It wouldn't be very ethical for a body shot but if you can thread it though the ear hole.....
    I agree on the ear hole for those of us who can shoot that well. Many seem to not be able to do that, from what I've seen over the years.

I've seen a deer killed with a double lung shot and it made jelly out of them with a 20 grain Gamepoint.
    That's an interesting surprise! I could see maybe one lung made into mince meat... assuming one didn't hit a rib, but both is something else. I'll keep that in mind if I ever go into the 'poaching biz'... (j/k!)

17HMR has less lead than a 22 mag but it carries very comparable energy out to around 100 yards due to speed.
    I've got a .17 HMR barrel with my T/C and enjoy shooting it, but didn't think it carried that kind of energy. Guess I'll need to test it. The problem is that I've got three Goldens who are afraid of close gunfire. It kind of puts a crimp on shooting around the house.

I shot six squirrels last Tuesday from under a corn feeder. All shots were between 40 and 55 yards, all head shots. I'd be comfortable killing a pig with it.
    Head shots on sitting squirrels out to 100 yds... no question! Ear shots on moving hogs... since I've rarely seen a hog stand still for more than a nanosecond... seems 'chancy', but I'll take your word for it.
    ~ George Washington

Wind is not your friend either with a .17. That's the only reason I don't own one.

It is a hog why be ethical, it is like saying be nice to coyote. I say if you feel like you can kill it then go for it, if you do not then maybe all the squeeling make the others run of a cliff.

.17 is a killing machine if you can hold it steady.
    Life ain't easy and dry bread ain't greasy.

That would be illegal on wma land I would think.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by KCM View Post
    It is a hog why be ethical
    Wow. Some of you folks are all class.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

That I am.
    Life ain't easy and dry bread ain't greasy.

You can hunt WMA with a 17hmr and you can kill hogs on wma with 17hmr.
    I have shot a 128 lb sow with mine and she dropped in her tracks at about 45 yards. right behind the ear.
    I agree it is a killing machine. as for the wind you are right if you are in a wide open field shooting 150 yards.
    I havent had a problem 100 yards and under with a good bit of wind at the range.
    17 HMR, 17 grain AccuTip-V - MV 2550 fps, 2380 fps at 50 yards, 1900 fps at 100 yards, 1620 fps at 150 yards, 1378 fps at 200 yards.
    22 Mag, 40 grain AccuTip-V - MV 2000 fps, 1730 fps at 50 yards, 1495 fps at 100 yards, N/A at 150 yards, N/A at 200 yards

As a point of fact, the 17 HMR hits about as hard at 150 yards as the standard velocity .22 Long Rifle does at the muzzle
    I love my 17 and my 22 but will shoot my 17 all day long hunting hogs.
    Last edited by Haz-r-dous1; 01-02-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    Teton's Early Morning Fawn "Sable"
    Nandawishibe's Livin The Dream "Lily"
    Cedar Creek at Nandawishibe's Quack Boom Splash JH "Boomer"

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by KCM View Post
    It is a hog why be ethical, it is like saying be nice to coyote. I say if you feel like you can kill it then go for it, if you do not then maybe all the squeeling make the others run of a cliff.

.17 is a killing machine if you can hold it steady.
    Say what you want, but I don't agree with shooting coyotes in the gut either, even if it will eventually kill them. Granted, that "rule" wouldn't hold if they were attacking my dogs or something, but in general hunting I believe that we all have a responsibility to maintain a level of ethics that would be acceptable to most reasonable people.

That being said, I've been told by people I trust and respect that a .17 HMR in the ear will kill hogs, so my opinion has been changed.
    ~ George Washington

Fuck a pig, I'd shoot one in the asshole with pellet rifle if I thought it would get gangrene and die.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Fuck a pig, I'd shoot one in the asshole with pellet rifle if I thought it would get gangrene and die.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Sometimes you say smart things..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Say what you want, but I don't agree with shooting coyotes in the gut either, even if it will eventually kill them. Granted, that "rule" wouldn't hold if they were attacking my dogs or something, but in general hunting I believe that we all have a responsibility to maintain a level of ethics that would be acceptable to most reasonable people:
    Bo.. Come on.. Are you ethical to rats or cockroaches?
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Well stated my friend.