Thread: Aquatic vegetation

Default Aquatic vegetation

What aquatic vegetation is best?

Shelled corn........

Duck Weed, duck potato, smart weed, widgeon grass

Japanese Millet seemed to work out very well for us!

Coontail, milfoils, pondweeds, smartweed, wild celery, wigeongrass, saltmarsh bulrush, dwarf spikerush, redroot among others.....some brackish, some fresh.
    Grasses are really good as well.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Have pond with water shield it gets loaded with divers and local mallets and geese.

This is definetly a Bog question, but also might help to know what type ducks you want to feed and what long term goal is for the veg in the pond. Does it have fish and do you want them to thrive also.
    Phillipians 4:13

watershield is good
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    watershield is good
    I know but that's all experience I have with SAV's.
    Phillipians 4:13

It really depends on the existing habitat and your long term goals. If this place is your property and you only use it for waterfowl then SAVs are what you need. SAVs need sunlight and shallow water. Not all can coexist together. Plants like watershield, while beneficial to ducks, can prevent needed sunlight for other, more desirable plants like val, naiads, coontail, etc. Duck weed is a great plant, but it can form a monoculture very fast. If the area is an open, shallow area I would recommend val first. Get a good stand of it growing, then introduce sago and southern naiad. The plants will form thick mats and will make other activities like fishing, bothersome. If you are to experiment with aquatics, understand that. Our lakes don't face these problems because of the vast expanses and various depths. A 3 acre farm pond can be taken over by SAVs. Just food for thought.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

smartweed
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.

AA

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    It really depends on the existing habitat and your long term goals. If this place is your property and you only use it for waterfowl then SAVs are what you need. SAVs need sunlight and shallow water. Not all can coexist together. Plants like watershield, while beneficial to ducks, can prevent needed sunlight for other, more desirable plants like val, naiads, coontail, etc. Duck weed is a great plant, but it can form a monoculture very fast. If the area is an open, shallow area I would recommend val first. Get a good stand of it growing, then introduce sago and southern naiad. The plants will form thick mats and will make other activities like fishing, bothersome. If you are to experiment with aquatics, understand that. Our lakes don't face these problems because of the vast expanses and various depths. A 3 acre farm pond can be taken over by SAVs. Just food for thought.
    a quick google search did not enlighten me on "val" Is there a full name you could share? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by CreekGeek View Post
    Thanks Creek Geek

What would be recommended to place in a shallow (2ft) pond with a clay-loam soil that has a pH of roughly 5.5? A cousin has an impoundment that he wants to leave water on year round and put aquatic vegetation in as opposed to traditional grain crops. Any recommendations.
    cut\'em

Can the water depth be manipulated? IS it fresh/ brackish/ saline?

My favorites are; Smartweed, Dwarf Spike Rush, Saltmarsh Bullrush, Widgeon Grass, and Giant Foxtail. All good stuff and all of them cover a wide variety of salinty levels.
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by bohica View Post
    Can the water depth be manipulated? IS it fresh/ brackish/ saline?
    Probably a max depth of 3ft. but of course water can be anywhere from dry to that 3ft. It is fresh water.
    cut\'em

Sago. Hands down.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Thanks Bog I will pass it along.
    cut\'em