Thread: Samworth WMA Expansion

Posted on SC DNR Site this morning...

NATURAL RESOURCES BOARD PROPOSES ADDITIONS TO STATE WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AREA PROGRAM

The S.C. Natural Resources Board has proposed the addition of Carr and Little Carr creeks in Georgetown County into the state Wildlife Management Area program, beginning with the 2005-06 waterfowl season.

The action was taken by the S.C. Natural Resources Board Friday, Oct. 15, during its monthly meeting. The proposal is pursuant to approval by the S.C. General Assembly, state Budget and Control Board and endorsement by the board's Waterfowl Advisory Committee. It is a proposed regulation that would take effect beginning with the 2005-06 waterfowl season.

Carr and Little Carr creeks are tidally influenced streams situated between the Great Pee Dee and Waccamaw rivers in Georgetown County. The two creeks run through or are adjacent to the state-owned Samworth Wildlife Management Area (WMA). Samworth WMA is a 1,258-acre tract managed for a wide variety of wildlife and fisheries resources, including 966 acres of wetlands managed for wintering waterfowl and other wetland-dependent species. Most of the area was acquired in 1961 through Thomas G. Samworth's donation of Dirleton Plantation.

"By adding these areas to the WMA program, we believe we can increase the quality of the waterfowl hunting opportunity not only on Samworth, but also in the surrounding habitats," said Tim Ivey, chief of wildlife for the S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Wildlife Section. The DNR proposes to allow public hunting within Carr and Little Carr creeks on Wednesday and Saturday mornings during the statewide waterfowl season. Sportsmen hunting within this area will be required to possess a WMA permit when these creeks come under WMA regulations in the 2005-06 waterfowl season.

"This change will not be in effect for the upcoming 2004-05 waterfowl season, but will begin with the 2005-06 season pending approval of regulations by the S.C. General Assembly," Ivey said. DNR also plans to re-instate waterfowl hunts on Samworth WMA this year through a special supplemental drawing following the regular public waterfowl hunt drawing for other DNR management areas.

"The public will have ample opportunity for input as the proposed regulations for Carr and Little Carr creeks will be subject to the Administrative Procedures Act process during the 2005 legislative season," said Breck Carmichael, DNR deputy director for the Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division. "The inclusion of these creeks in our WMA program is yet another positive step taken by DNR to establish additional waterfowl resting areas, restore wintering waterfowl numbers, and provide quality recreational hunting opportunities at Samworth WMA. We will look forward to receiving comments from interested constituents."

Short of a few complaints from locals, this is probably a good thing. It was my understanding that the pressure surrounding Samworth impoundments was the primary reason for the elimination of drawn hunts over the past few seasons. The birds were being pressured daily from creek hunters surrounding the dikes and interior hunts would just send ducks out of the area. Now with limited pressure on the creeks, they could justify drawn hunts again at Samworth.
    Twat did you say? I Cunt hear you. I have an ear infuction.

I live about thirty miles from this area and used to hunt there alot. But I quit about two years ago because every rubberhead in existence started showing up and busting all day long. I support this whole-heartedly! Up until about 6 or 7 years ago the landing at Samworth was closed during duck season. There are not near the number of ducks that we had ten years ago and the main reason is pressure. My $.02.
    "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear." Mark Twain

We should all support any efforts to reduce pressure on our remaining imprinted migratory ducks. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

We should all be terrified when the State starts taking public, navigable waters from public hunters and pushes public hunters into smaller and smaller areas.

This is the tip of the iceberg and only a test to see how much the public complains. See Catdaddy's post on page 8 of the "We are about to get screwed" thread in this same forum. He has irrefutable proof of this.

Please guys, don't fall for this wolf in sheep's clothing. It is a political front for a much larger movement.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.