Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Top Sowing Wheat for Doves

Morning hunting will help but not solve the problem. I would speculate that double dipping accounts for less than 10% of the harvest. I have not been morning hunting in over 5 years.

More will have to be done and here is my proposal;

1. Eliminate morning hunting.

2. Shorten the season by 25%.

3. Reduce the limit to 10.

4. Forget about top sewing for doves. Nobody but us is killing our doves........especially other states who allow top sewing.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I am suggesting to DNR that only landowners with 50 or more acres of planted sunflowers be allowed to hunt. This will help the hunter mortality rate, and only allow those that help the resource shoot them. It won't affect me, so its all good. It's about my resources. I mean, the resources. (a little sarcasm)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I need Trad to come up and give that sumbitchen cat that keep gettin' 'em off of my bird feeder a ticket for huntin' over bait.

Speakin' of which, is it illegal to blunt doves off of the feeder with a longbow?

DT, I KNOW it is not a precise science... which is why I don't think that we can assume anything when it comes to management but we often do and for reasons that many feel are political...

isn't it POSSIBLE that the explosion in the number of dove fields after folks became used to good hunting over wheat has something to do with dove numbers? Yet, we aren't even close to considering THAT as a cause.

meanwhile we continue to chase our tails with corn ponds and corn pile and non-toxic shot... with horrible data on any of it.

I keep hearing that eliminating top sewn wheat was the best thing to do and that by reducing hunting mortality we have slowed the declind - I say we have no more proof that those 2 things has anymore to do with the current status of the dove pop as there is proof that the move to clean cotton fields and pine trees has anything to do with it.
    Personally I sick and tired of certain people using "common sense" when it's good for thier arguement, but then they basically tell others that they need to have documentation to back up their ideas.
    The botton line is that we have Clemson saying we can't top sew wheat before Oct 1 when actually it's earlier than that in some areas of the state, some saying top sewn wheat was the evil of evils for the dove pop, legal baiting that is ok since the law is written to allow it, a dove pop that is still declining and we do not why it has slowed, but still declining, ideas using the same common sense that was used with the wheat issue, but in some minds won't help - so no reason why our ag practices are so different that neighboring states and almost a gaurantee that no further restrictions will be placed on dove hunting even so though we say we are all for protecting the resource.
    Now a question for Trad - say I decided to top sew some wheat the middle of Sept, got some doves using the field and then hunted it on Oct.1 - am I in trouble? Or say I have a few doves using a field and waited until Oct.1 to top sew some wheat and then hunted it the last weekend of the season - am I ok with the law?
    Reason I'm asking is that I had a conversation with some GW's a couple of yrs back about top sewn wheat - I told them you could top sew it on Oct.1 and hunt it - they said no, that you could not hunt over top sewn wheat at all - is this true?
    Thanks.
    I always thought a website was a selling tool, not a product repair manual!

tradorion Coots

Ladies and gentlemen- Elvis is leaving the building- see ya'll on the discussions of politics and religion but not further on doves and wheat

have fun!!

T

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

No luck, nad. Go to NC or Ga if you want to hunt over the wheat...TEXAS is another good state to look into.

Otherwise, remind me to send you pics from my argentina trip/
    [img]graemlins/flamethrowingsmiley.gif[/img]
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Yeah, I'm thru this bs too - gotta get ready to head to N. Dakota!
    I always thought a website was a selling tool, not a product repair manual!