Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Sowing Wheat for Doves

I have heard that the Federal Government relaxed its laws to allow top sowing of wheat again for doves. Question 1: Did they? Question 2: If they did are there certain states that allow this practice and which are they? Question 3: Will SC ever again allow this? Only informed responses please. This practice sure made for some excellent dove hunting. [img]smile.gif[/img]

What are you saying here? Did the clem tater's research help the legislature change the law?????

Clemson ruled against allowing top sowing of wheat in this state. Many states never stopped hunting doves over top sown wheat. As good as Clemson Extention has been to many of us, they sure dicked us on this one...

How then would one start lobbying for change? I suppose population studies when it was allowed vs now would be a starting point. We all know how low the life expectancy of a dove is.

Does the DNR (Mike McShane)have any authority to make the change back to the way it was? In my humble opinion, the population never suffered when we were allowed to top sow.

Do any of you feel the same?

I have been told that legislation is in the works to allow for top sow of wheat because the evryday Harry Hunter can't afford the high dollar dove clubs.

Also, the same person has told me that an influential individual encouraged Clemson's opinion on top sow for doves. It seems that other states allow it.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

I am sure everyone feels the same. However, the way the Federal law was written, top sowing would have to be considered a Normal Agricultural Process here in South Carolina. The determiner of what is or is not a Normal Ag Process here in the State of SC is the Clemson Extension Service.

So, either you get CES to make a ruling that top Sowing Wheat is, indeed, a NAP or you get the Feds to insert language specifically allowing top Sowing of wheat for doves. They did this for flooded grain and ducks. They could do it for doves as well. But wouldn't it just be easier to get Clemson to get with the program???

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

do you have phone #'s address or email for me to give them my .02?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

btw....
    I deleted picture for fear of poachers from the Eastover/Richland/Lexington county area
    I didn't realize that you couldn't do it anymore? when did they change this law?

JABIII, Who is the the person at Clemson Ext Service that calls the shots? I would like to at least discuss with him.

Now you have moved into a political area that I am not privy to. To hear it told, there were several key players that made the call go the way it did. Rumour or truth? We will probably never really know. I bet you can't get anyone on the phone at CES to take credit for it now though...

I would imagine that there are a few elites that don't want it changed. If it is changed, they lose a big advantage that they had over the common folks. I make parts for the American working man, because that is what I am.

If bubba can go on his 15 acres and top sew wheat besides little Johnny's (Little Johnny always gets a raw deal) pretty 100 acre sunflower field and steal his birds, he doesn't like it. Neither would I. ...except, I am bubba, because, I make parts for the american working man, because that is what I am.

It doesn't work that way Art. LJ wants to top sow his 100 just as badly as Bubba wants to top sow his 15.

I have the advantage of hunting 100 acre sunflower fields, cut corn etc in Richland, Colleton, and Florence Counties but the dove hunting still is awful compared to when we sowed wheat. No kidding. This year has been particularly bad. We spent some money but to no avail. Wheat rules! Anybody else having great shoots this year over sunflowers and corn?

Good point, JAB. LJ needs to be able to top sew his field.

So Clemson needs only to print some material saying top sow wheat in August and we are good to go?

You need to go back the way it was DT. If you cut out morning hunting you do away with what I call double bagging. I see it happen way to much.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

So, I take it that you are against it, DT?

Now just so you will know, hunting does effect dove mortality to the point that it reduces reproduction. We were overharvesting doves. It would have taken a reduction to a 6 bird limit to reduce hunting mortality enough to continue baiting with wheat. That was not acceptable.

This was with hunting both Mornings/evenings. Not enforcing current laws. Why is it that SC disagrees with the Feds/otherstates on this issue. We are all for protecting a resource. No need to bang your war drum with me.

You took a poll on legislative issues re: SC hunting/fishing. Wasn't this a top issue out of all the proposals? You asked. "your people" spoke.

I really do not think that Clemson is conspiring against baiting doves with top sewn wheat. Clemson does not regulate dove hunting so they have no vested interest in allowing or disallowing the sewing of wheat for that purpose.

Clemson is charged as a land grant university with making sound agricultural recommendations based on science. Recommending an August planting date for wheat is not sound science anyway you slice it.

Look at it from the perspective of a new grower. What if he took the August planting date recommendation as the right thing to do? He would have virtually no chance of making a grain crop. That is completely against the land grant charter. It would be Clemson giving bad recommendations to farmers for the ultimate benefit of dove hunters.

If DNR wanted to allow top sewn wheat for doves they could probably make it possible without the need for altering the Clemson recommendations.

Just for the record I have nothing against the top sewing of wheat for shooting doves. When it was legal I did it every year. If folks obeyed the law and only took the legal limit...well 12 doves dead are 12 doves dead whether shot over sunflower fields, browm top, cracked corn, wheat or rock salt. I think that sewing the wheat just made it a lot more simple as has been stated.