Thread: Cayce set to cross river

Cayce set to cross river

Annexation touted as big win for city taxpayers, economy

The City of Cayce this week launched an annexation plan that could bring hundreds of jobs, hundreds of millions of dollars in new investment and an expanded tax base into the city, experts say.

Mayor Avery Wilkerson said Tuesday that the city has begun the process of annexing about 3,000 acres of prime land on Bluff Road in Richland County into Cayce. The tract of land, referred to as "Vista Farms", is bounded on the west by the Congaree River and includes over a mile of Interstate 77, including half an interchanged. It also has about one mile of riverfront access.

"Annexing this land will enable us to control our own destiny and givus us direct input on how this land will be developed that will benefit the citizens of Cayce," Wilkerson said. "I do not believe that sitting back and letting another jurisdiction decide the fate of the land is in the best interests of our people."

"The annexation of this prime property fits nicely into our vision for developing both sides of the river in a responsible, environmentally sensitive manner while, at the same time, creating jobs and expanding our tax base," he said. "I am convinced this offers us a unique opportunity to improve the quality of life for generations to come, from both an economic and environmental standpoint."

The mayor said the city's long-term strategic plan is to expand the tax base and create more new taxpayers, not asking the same taxpayers to pay higher taxes.

"I've spent months talking with the developers. I am impressed by their dedication to the environment and their willingness to work with us,"

Wilkerson said.

Annexation of the land would be the third coup for the Lexington County side of the river in a short period of time. The State Farmers Market recently decided to move from Richland to Lexington County.

Additionally, SCANA, South Carolina's largest company, is moving its corporate headquarters from Columbia to Cayce.

Bob Hughes, spokesman for Columbia Ventures, LLC which represents owners of the land, said he does not have a plan "carved in stone" on how the property will be used. He said he would work with the city to develop a master plan.

"This is some of the most important property in the Midlands. We want to get it right, and we will work with Mayor Wilkerson and city officials to make sure it's done right," Hughes said. "Our overall vision is to create an environment in which citizens and guests can live, work, play and shop while enjoying the beauty of nature. We want to work with the city, listen to the citizens and devise a plan within this framework that everyone can be proud of."

Hughes said using part of the land for manmade constructed wetlands is a possibility. "Richland County frustrated our plan for constructed wetlands while Mayor Wilkerson has indicated interest," Hughes said.

"Using constructed wetlands to naturally treat wastewater could save Cayce taxpayers millions of dollars in wastewater treatment upgrades, in addition to opening up a new tourism market."

Cities such as Augusta, Georgia and Orlando, Florida have used constructed wetlands for years. Natural plants instead of sewer plants are used to invisibly cleanse wastewater of phosphorous and nitrogen.

Downstream areas and bodies of water such as Lake Marion and the Congaree National Park will be relieved of their current problems by such a method. The wetlands also become sanctuaries for animal and plant life.

The wetlands in Augusta and Orlando attract thousands of nature lovers annually and have become home to endangered species as well as other abundant wildlife.

Flood protection for Riverland Park coming

One of the benefits of annexing the 3,000 acres on Bluff Road will be to provide greater flood protection for Cayce, particularly homeowners in Riverland Park, according to city leaders.

For more than five years, the flood map for the Congaree River along its border with the City of Cayce has been in flux, causing concern and confusion for residents of Riverland Park, a Cayce subdivision adjacent to the river.

In 2001, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) published a map which was thrown out by a Federal Court due to lack of proper notice.

More than two years ago, the court reinstated the previous flood map, ordering FEMA to start the process over. FEMA, however, has not started over, and the exact state of the maps and insurance for property owners has been uncertain.

As the city most affected by the uncertainty, Cayce is taking steps to solve the problem. By annexing the Bluff Road tract of land known as "Vista Farms", Cayce will become the community that administers the flood map, and can decide what protections it might want beyond those imposed by the Federal government.

Mayor Avery Wilkerson said the city will work with FEMA to create a flood map that is in compliance with the court order. Once FEMA has provided Cayce and the other local governments along the Congaree River with a map meeting the order, the City will then require developers to take extra steps to lessen the possibility of flooding in and near Riverland Park.

Cayce officials have already begun working with Vista Farms owners to devise a levee configuration that lowers floodwaters in Riverland Park in every high water event. The configuration under consideration would move the levee back from the river to allow more water to stay on the developers' property instead of flowing toward Riverland Park.

This means the property being annexed will be permanently modified to accept floodwater in as little as a 10-year event-such an event happens 10 times more often than a 100 year flood.

"By taking control of our own destiny, we can create a situation where our citizens benefit regularly, instead of in some hypothetical once-in-100-year scenario," said Mayor Wilkerson of Cayce. The annexed landowners will permanently give up many of their acres to create a green space along the river to carry any high water, yet at the same time Heathwood Hall School still will be protected. "In this manner, everyone can benefit," concluded the Mayor.

This is the area that Burroughs and Chapin has spent millions of dollars in legal fees trying to develop...which in turn costs the US and state taxpayers millions of dollars...guess they didnt think about buying a mayor before now...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

"Using constructed wetlands to naturally treat wastewater could save Cayce taxpayers millions of dollars in wastewater treatment upgrades, in addition to opening up a new tourism market."
    Yep, sounds like Cayce... LOL.

Was that written by a third grader?

Fascinating how those politicians who bill themselves as republicans and conservatives feel no embarrasment at all in claiming that it is their responsibility to manage the economy and "create" jobs.

Another good one is that in the same article, he talks about "creating a tax base" while at the same time acknowledginhg that residents will see their taxes go up as a result of this development.

If you're not cynical, you're an idiot.

Let's see, Richland County turned it down, Columbia said no as well, and now Cayce is going against the tide to save the day. It appears Cayce is trying to be something and will get bit in the ass in the process.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

All those diked areas would be better served as a waterfowl management area...

Yep, Trapper - sounds like Cayce to me!
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

The only people who don't know that no one wants a 500K home with a Cayce address are people who live in Cayce.

When the developer talks about the "beauty of nature", I wonder if he is talking about the golf course they want to build, or the constructed, waste-water wetlands? This is Green Diamond all over again. The sad thing is that they will get what they want. Developers run this state.

Nobody pumps more dollars into politics than the Home Builders Association. Watch your reps. They're scared shitless of 'em. Without exception.

I'll second that. But Cayce is growing the utility problems will be the issue. I live there and there a few nice neighborhoods. I do not think everyone is scared to invest in this town. We have the only Krisy Creme Donut place around.
    500 K HOUSES MIGHT BE THE NORM Trapper look behind Guinard Park there a some McMansions in there now.
    Bone....

Hey Dr. Trapper, tell us about the big city you grew up in while you are running Cayce into the ground. Clinton must have been big time, and Laurens.... WOW
    I\'d tell you if I was lying.

Get him FLASH!!!

I Hear ya Panther!, we all came from our own (often humble) starts; thats my only point.
    I\'d tell you if I was lying.

Originally posted by jbeck:
    This is Green Diamond all over again.
    My point in the post is the millions of dollars that has been spent in lawsuits alone trying to develop that tract. Not private money...but state and federal money, (i.e. our money). See an article from The State newspaper on 12/1
    http://www.thestate.com/local/story/244931.html

Risks cloud plan’s future
    Proposal for Cayce to annex land that would be developed raises questions about liability
    By DAWN HINSHAW and CLIF LeBLANC - dhinshaw@thestate.com cleblanc@thestate.com
    A 2001 legal analysis for Richland County concluded the county would be exposed to “substantial liability” and expensive legal costs if it had responsibility for maintaining levees along the Congaree River.

The 33-page report was what ultimately sank the Green Diamond project in Richland County, Councilman Greg Pearce said Friday.

Liability questions already are giving at least two Cayce City Council members pause and prompting a local environmentalist to say the issue should stop the project in its tracks.

Developers — looking to build a scaled-back version of their $1 billion project by having 3,000 acres annexed into Cayce — remained unavailable Friday.

Columbia Venture developers told Cayce residents this week they would remove agricultural levees along the river and build new levees about 500 feet into the flood-prone property to hold back overflow.

It is unclear which governing body would assume liability should the land be annexed across the river and into the Lexington County city.

“I don’t think any of us are in a position to know what impact all of this will have,” Richland County’s attorney, Larry Smith, said Friday.

But Cayce City Councilman Ken Jumper said the liability question could be a deal-breaker for him.

“We need to know what our liability is,” said Jumper, a council member for 15 years. “That’s what I’m seeking to find out before I vote.”

Councilman Bob Malpass said the liability issue has not been discussed. But the report “certainly would give me reason to look at the situation a whole lot closer.”

The five-member council is set to decide the annexation issue, possibly by year’s end.

Jumper characterized his position as neutral, while Malpass said he is leaning toward annexation.

Both said developers have provided few details about the expansive project that would increase the town’s size by one-third.

Efforts to reach the mayor and other councilmen Friday were unsuccessful.

Seven years ago, Columbia Venture was in the throes of a debate with Richland County about the project that would bring golf-course homes, high-tech businesses and shops to farmland just south of Columbia.

The Jan. 10, 2001, analysis, by Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough, states that private companies cannot have ultimate responsibility for maintaining levees.

The report does not estimate how expensive the liability could become.

Yet it clearly advised extreme caution.

“The county will likely not be able to take steps to insulate itself entirely from substantial liability ... in the case of a significant levee failure,” the report by attorneys George B. Wolfe and C. Mitchell Brown states.

It also said a private company could not assume liability for local government.

“A ‘community’ must ... be ultimately responsible for levee maintenance — such ultimate responsibility may not rest with ... a private corporation,” according to the analysis, which also examines federal and state laws, court cases and ways for the county to limit its liability.

Robert Adams, who helped organize the Congaree Task Force in 2000 to fight Green Diamond, said the report should be “a silver bullet in the heart” of the new project.

“The exposure this creates for Cayce taxpayers is off the charts for a small community like this,” he said.

Reach Hinshaw at (803) 771-8641 and LeBlanc at (803) 771-8664.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

The Diamond project was a lame-duck,it was nothing more than than a trade to leave the wetlands in Cayce in tact so they could aquire biulding permits on wetlands in Myrtle Beach. I don't no any developer willing to put the amount of money it would take to just to make it buildable. The Myrtle Beach prodjet was a sound investment but your talking about Cayce, SC.
    Git off my rivva *****....you gona drown!