Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what book to use

where do you live?
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

B,

Hey. I'd be glad to help. Not a pro by any means but have trained 3 that were pretty good. If he's got the drive, we can make it work. NOW is the time though. I can show you things that have worked for me & things that haven't. Need to get him on some live ones. Get him steady & introduce him to gunfire. That may be the biggie. Just take it slow & be consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by white quacker View Post
    where do you live?
    Darlington.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    B,

Hey. I'd be glad to help. Not a pro by any means but have trained 3 that were pretty good. If he's got the drive, we can make it work. NOW is the time though. I can show you things that have worked for me & things that haven't. Need to get him on some live ones. Get him steady & introduce him to gunfire. That may be the biggie. Just take it slow & be consistent.
    Any help would be great.. He is a good dog and believe he has the drive, hopefully I will start right after Christmas.

In the meantime, no more sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    In the meantime, no more sticks.
    X2. Not unless you want him to bring to one back while hes suppose to be hunting a bird
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

My dog was an adoption.....she don't speak sign language (hand signals) worth a damn, but if I toss a stick in the general direction of a bird that she didn't see go down she will bring the bird and not the stick back

P.S. while I'm in a giving mood; I keep a roll of surveying flagging in my bag and will tie it around rocks, etc. and toss it as close as I can to downed birds to aid in finding them later if I'm not hunting with my dog or if her crazy ass is off somewhere else when the bird falls

Evans Graham "Smart Works", "Working Retreiver" or you can google "retreiver training" and there are some good free sights that provide training education (Dobbs Dogs I believe under the retreiver tab is a good source). If possible find a training group near you where can learn from others and share the equippment.
    Good luck
    HRCH UH Pathfinders Point Shako Jakeco
    2007 Boykin Spaniel National Field Trial Intermediate Champion
    "The dog that doesn't rock the boat"