Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what book to use

Default what book to use

Little background, Lab 8 months old now.. I taught him the basic commands such as sit. Now I am looking for to throw some nice stuff his way. What book do you recommend on how to train?

After watching Mars Bluff pup make a few retrieves, I decided its time for mine to get to work. I never trained a dog before, so it need to be a type of dog training for dummies.

Waterdog
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

Quote Originally Posted by muddman View Post
    Waterdog
    That one isn't a little outdated?

More recent than the Bible, so what are you saying?

It ain't rocket science. With enough positive reinforcement you can get a dog to do just about anything. Start with come, sit, heel. In the meantime get waterdog and learn what to do next. If my memory serves me correctly, most books start at puppy. You may have to alter the plan a little to your dog.

Good luck. I took in a 4 yo lab that was a house dog, and he turned out to be a good meat dog.
    Last edited by willyworm; 12-20-2011 at 07:38 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I dont think its outdated, work for my dog and he retreived 3 birds this morning and one was a blind retrieve.
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

You're too late for Waterdog, he's a bastard pup because he's over 49 days. You might as well shoot him or get him house trained for a pet.

I was just wondering.. I didn't know if technique changed since the '60s.

If technique didn't change no one other than Wolter's would've ever been ale to sell a book......

Waterdog will work fine as will a multitude of others. The best bet is get the dog rock solid on the basic obedience then get out and mingle with other home trainers on here and let them help you. No book would ever teach you as much or as quickly as that.

The next next time you get him in a field pull up a corn stalk. Scream at the top of your lungs and beat him with it. Then tie him to a door knob.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Waterdog will work fine as will a multitude of others. The best bet is get the dog rock solid on the basic obedience then get out and mingle with other home trainers on here and let them help you. No book would ever teach you as much or as quickly as that.

I already established basic obedience. At first, he was just going to be a pet but now I am interested in training him for hunting situations. Hell, even if he is a "bastard dog" he will still have a spot on the couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    The next next time you get him in a field pull up a corn stalk. Scream at the top of your lungs and beat him with it. Then tie him to a door knob.

Corn stalk... Check

Door knob... Open the door first or leave it shut?

I already established basic obedience. At first, he was just going to be a pet but now I am interested in training him for hunting situations. Hell, even if he is a "bastard dog" he will still have a spot on the couch.
    Will he retrieve? Find someone local to you and pick their brain and watch them train. Be advised though, if all he has is basic obedience and doesn't already have a desire to retrieve or do the most rudimentary of retrieves then they may well put you off till a bit later in the spring.

He retrieves, he will bring sticks for me to throw.. We also throw a bumper and a deer shed for him.

Aaaarrrrghhhh!!!!!! Stop with the tossing of sticks muy pronto! Like, stop it yesterday.

Stopped it day before yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by BREAK'N WINGS View Post
    Little background, Lab 8 months old now.. I taught him the basic commands such as sit. Now I am looking for to throw some nice stuff his way. What book do you recommend on how to train?

After watching Mars Bluff pup make a few retrieves, I decided its time for mine to get to work. I never trained a dog before, so it need to be a type of dog training for dummies.
    I have a book you can use. It's from the 70's... But, them old fockers know what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    I have a book you can use. It's from the 70's... But, them old fockers know what they are talking about.

10-4. Let me know when a good time to pick it up.

Chris Akin's Duck Dog Basics Get the book and DVD