Thread: food plots

i have 180 acres in Sumter that is travelled by deer quite a bit but it seems they disappear come september and october...
    Dont get me wrong ive seen up to 8-10 deer in an evening but usually in my 10 acre corn/sunflower/weed field in the middle of the property that we plant every year for doves and deer but I need some food to hold the deer around the stands.
    The rest of the land is mainly pines and gums with a few oaks
    What are some good things to plant in July/Aug that will hold the deer through the fall?

we plant iron clay peas and soybeans
    as close to July 31 with moisture.
    If we hit it right the peas peak around the 15 Aug. and are usually gone in 14 days or less.
    Supplement shell corn, or ear if you can get it.
    Plan on your wheat-oat-rye mix to go in the same plots while your buddies are at the college football games. Say by Nov. 1st.
    Peas down here are deadly.
    “A town is saved, not more by the righteous men in it than by the woods and swamps that surround it.” -Thoreau

thru the fall?
    milo, sunflowers, beans....
    i deer's fav food is cowpeas.

plant Vetch in mid May and it will last up until a hard frost. Browse tolerant and the deer absolutely love it...especially during the noon to 2 pm time frame. Sugar content is high and they cant stay out of it. It WILL hold your deer with proper pressure mangement.

Downside...its been difficult to get any for a few years. Price doubled to nearly $200/50# bag and became scarce....fast.

The deer here will walk past the feeder and bean/peas to get to the vetch.

oh, and you can mow it if it gets too tall on good sites. Down here in the alluvial river bottom soils it will grow to 6 feet if we didnt keep it mowed and the deer were less abundant.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

havent had the same success up here with the stuff.
    nice use of "alluvial", bet you learnt dat upat clempson.