Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walmart

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Walmart

Just some stuff I have put together in a file over time. I thought it was interesting.

Walmart Strategies:

Dead Peasant Policy: Walmart used to(?) take out life insurance policies on their own employees, then purposely hire elderly or disabled people and wait for them to die. They were even sued, when one elderly person was told to do very physical tasks and in the lawsuit there was an accusation they were worked 'to death.' I am not sure if they ended this practice.

This article refers to the lawsuit in which the employee was 'worked to death.' Unfortunately, Walmart settles most of it cases, including the ones I have worked on, and I legally cannot talk about what was discussed leading up to settlement. From what I have heard, as long as the company gets permission (which is one of the several papers you sign at orientation) it is fine, however they can no longer use the premium payments as a deduction.

Squeeze Effect Policy: As noted in this article Walmart will squeeze a product and actually bring down its quality as well as its prices, so it can prove to consumers it has the lowest prices. It pushes the product so low the producer is not even making a penny per sale, but the producer still sells more than anywhere else, so it evens out, but they have to increase productivity which usually results in a decrease in quality. In the long run, people stop buying the producer's product elsewhere because the quality has gone down or it is just cheaper at Walmart. The brand is then suffering as it cannot raise its price at Walmart, but is no longer making a profit elsewhere and has ruined its name.

30 Mile Drive Policy: Another market strategy is to open up a Walmart right next to that hardware store run by your neighbor for the past 20 years. He goes out of business, as well as every other local business, because everyone is going to Walmart for both price and convenience. Low and behold, Walmart shuts that store down because they have just opened a super Walmart 30 miles out of town. Now 4 towns have empty warehouses, empty local stores, and tons of people having to drive to one super-center Walmart. Walmart saves tons of money, but 100s of people are now unemployed.

China: This one is pretty obvious. Most things are made in China, or someplace not America, and the factories allegedly hire children or just have poor working conditions.

Working Conditions: On top of the profiting off of employee's deaths and the overseas violations, the working conditions here have been rumored to be bad. First, they hire at minimum wage. Other retail usually hires above minimum wage. They give 4-6 hour shifts, almost all employees are part time, thus they don't pay overtime, don't give benefits, and don't waste time giving employees 'breaks.' Second, they had a bad reputation as far as letting women advance, and I'm not sure how much they have fixed that. Third, they have told employees how to apply for disability, medicaid/medicare, social security, welfare, etc, instead of offering employees health insurance or full time positions.

All in all, they really have a smart business strategy, but they are not loyal to the USA, their employees, or the brands they buy from, and they are very cut throat, but it is a corporation and it is here to make money, not give your grandparents a comfortable job with a great health plan.

Philosophy explained like you are 5:

Let's say that you live in a neighborhood with a lot of big lawns that need mowing. Most people will pay a neighborhood kid to mow their lawn, say $10. A new family moves in, and they have a couple of kids. The new family's older brother goes around and promises to mow lawns for $5, and everybody signs up. Instead of mowing the lawn himself, he makes his little brother do it for $3. The little brother doesn't do a very good job, but enough people like the savings that they keep using them. Eventually, the older brother hires more kids at $3 an hour to keep up with demand.

So, what happens? Most of the kids who were doing a good job for $10 are out of business. The little kids are hardly making any money, so they doesn't get as many comics, snacks or toys as the other kids, even though the same amount of work is getting done. The neighborhood looks kind of shabby, because everyone is going with the cheap service instead of the nice one.

Is this a problem? Well, it kind of depends on who you are: Are you one of the people who own a house and want the cheaper, "good enough" lawn mow? Are you one of the kids who thought they were worth $10 and now have to find a new job? Are you one of the kids who are mowing lawns for $3? Everybody has a different perspective.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Good stuff. F*** WalMart. If I HAVE to go to a wal mart, i make sure it's after a few beers.
    Bah! Humbug!

Dont hate the Playa, hate da Game

But seriously, Fuck Wal Mart. I think you hit it square on the head - if they were doing things the right way, i would just tip my hat to them, but they are where they are by doing things the unethical way while Grandad's hardware store is closed.

Remember the save main street campaign during the amazon debacle? Nikki likes walmart..... Screw both of em!
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by arleen1013 View Post
    But seriously, Fuck Wal Mart. I think you hit it square on the head - if they were doing things the right way, i would just tip my hat to them, but they are where they are by doing things the unethical way while Grandad's hardware store is closed.
    I don't seem to recall any laws that force people to shop there. They are where they are because the people in this country have sold their souls for buggies full of cheap shit and one stop shopping.

Fuck walmart and people who feed that monster.

Whenever I go to walmart, which is not often, the people that shop there take away my hope for Americans as a people. The dregs of society for the most part, but I'm afraid this is the norm now. The majority of Americans seem to be low class, willing and expecting the government to provide for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    Whenever I go to walmart, which is not often, the people that shop there take away my hope for Americans as a people. The dregs of society for the most part, but I'm afraid this is the norm now. The majority of Americans seem to be low class, willing and expecting the government to provide for them.
    Couldn't have said a better statement on that store if i tried

But god forbid that the government put any regulations in place to limit the powers of monopolies like wal-mart.

Eff walmart and the people who allow them to rape the world
    Last edited by everlast; 12-13-2011 at 01:56 PM.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

wish i could afford to say F WalMart.....but iI cant so I will be unhappy spending my measly 2 bits there
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    But god forbid that the government put any regulations in place to limit the powers of monopolies like wal-mart.

Eff walmart and the people who allow them to rape the world
    Since when is Walmart a monopoly?

I get so sick of hearing this bs.

Maybe walmart doesnt treat their employees right. Maybe they dont pay well. Maybe they have become large enough and powerful enough to force companies to reduce their prices......

But damn, they are successful. Isnt that what everyone of those small businesses that they forced to shut down trying to achieve when they opened? Werent they trying to be successful as well?

I hate shopping at walmart with a passion, but you have to hand it to them. They have made shopping easier for the average working person. Where else can you get your tires changed while you shop for groceries?

I hear people talking about the scum that shop there but what about the people that are working two or three jobs, and need a place to go get all of their stuff at one time while on their lunch break or something...

Yea it sucks how they move into a town and shut down all the mom and pops, but it is what it is...

Btw, fuck walmart.... I hate it to... But you gotta look at it both ways sometime

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Since when is Walmart a monopoly?
    Definition of monopoly: The exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service.

They may now have exclusive control of the supply of commodities or services, but they certainly have the muscle to move in and make the service provider or commodity holder give it to them for a cheaper price than their competitors, thus eliminating any real competition. Call it a monopoly or organized crime, either way in a just society, it shouldn't be allowed to exist.

How many small businesses does one single walmart replace? Each location kills the american dream for dozens if not hundreds of people. Yet we're okay with Waltons have more money and power than many countries, just for the sake of fewer regulations, in the hope that we too can have the same as they do someday. I assure you, they are making sure you and I never have that opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    Definition of monopoly: The exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service.

They may now have exclusive control of the supply of commodities or services, but they certainly have the muscle to move in and make the service provider or commodity holder give it to them for a cheaper price than their competitors, thus eliminating any real competition. Call it a monopoly or organized crime, either way in a just society, it shouldn't be allowed to exist.

How many small businesses does one single walmart replace? Each location kills the american dream for dozens if not hundreds of people. Yet we're okay with Waltons have more money and power than many countries, just for the sake of fewer regulations, in the hope that we too can have the same as they do someday. I assure you, they are making sure you and I never have that opportunity.
    You are so off base it isn't even funny. Show me where one person is forced to shop there vs. Target, Fred's, Dollar General, Publix, Ingles, Bi-Lo, Bolton-James, your family eye doctor etc. A monopoly exist when you have no other option. A difference in price from one place to the other doesn't remove that option. That is when you make the choice. Go back and look at the early 80's with Ma Bell telephone. That was a monopoly.

Walmart put their business model out there and the dumasses lapped it up liked cats and spilled milk. They exist because of customer demand. You want somebody to blame. Blame the people who chose and still choose to shop there. They picked cheap prices and shitty service over their local friends and family run shops.
    Last edited by Glenn; 12-14-2011 at 09:04 AM.

You are so off base it isn't even funny. Show me where one person is forced to shop there vs. Target, Fred's, Dollar General, Publix, Ingles, Bi-Lo, Bolton-James, your family eye doctor etc. A monopoly exist when you have no other option. A difference in price from one place to the other doesn't remove that option. That is when you make the choice. Go back and look at the early 80's with Ma Bell telephone. That was a monopoly.

Walmart put their business model out there and the dumasses lapped it up liked cats and spilled milk. They exist because of customer demand. You want somebody to blame. Blame the people who chose and still choose to shop there. They picked cheap prices and shitty service over their local friends and family run shops.
    Insert numerous "Amen's" from the choir here:__________________
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Amen
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-men!

A monopoly exists as a function of choice. The choice was there (and remains) to go to any number of other stores. But you wanted something for nothing and service/quality didn't matter to you - so now you will deal with the consequences. The same ones bitching about losing jobs to China are in Walmart getting their eggs - a commodity they could just as easily get from the farmer down the road.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

In this instance neither the player (Walmart) nor the game (free market capitalism) are to blame. The ones to blame here are the spectators (the consumer).

Fine writing there Glenda...

Another example. There are two feed stores in the town in which I reside.

#1: Run by an asshole and his mother.
    #2: Out of the way and high as giraffe pussy.

Tractor Supply moves into town. I decide to stop by there and see what's happening one day after work. They have hay for $2 less than their two mom and pop shops. I decide to buy a couple of bales to see what they look like. I buy that a some hardware and start to head out the door.

The manager calls a young feller up there to help me load the hay... six bales. I tell her I can handle it no problem, but thanks anyway. She insists. Young man shows up and informs us all that he's got a "grass allergy". Go figure.

The manager says to pull my truck around to the front door because it's pouring rain and thundering outside and she's terrified of lightning. I try to tell her that I can handle it. No go again.

I pull around, pick her up and we load the 6 bales in about 10 sec. I drop her back off at the front door with the both of us soaked to the bone and tell her thanks.

Not a single time goes by that I don't walk into that store to a warm greeting from her and the others that work there with a savings of ~$20 each and every time I walk in the door compared to the others in town (hardware, feed, corn, tools, etc.) and it's a one stop shop for me at the farm.

I choose to shop at Tractor Supply. I choose to not shop with an asshole and his mother, or the place that is out of my way by about 10min with a check of at least $20 more.

Capitalism at its finest. Either mom and pop can get right on the price and offer a friendly environment to shop in, or I will keep hitting the "big box store".

Same goes for Wal-Mart. I hate 'em, but if I choose to go there, it will be for a reason.

Edit: By the way, homeboy with the "grass allergy" no longer works there.
    Last edited by turbo; 12-14-2011 at 09:25 AM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!