Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ducks Unlimited has got some explaining to do.

Okay DU folks, a friend of mine in New Mexico (who introduced me to SC Ducks) mentioned this to me so I did some research and it seems to check out.
    It seems that a DU Chapter in NM is having a banquet at a country club being investigated by USFWS for killing ducks. Is it just me or is this contradictory to the mission of DU.
    Note that I am in no way a DU basher of any sort but something really stinks here

News Story

RIO RANCHO DINNER EVENT
    Event Date: 4/1/2006

Event Type: Banquet
    Phone: 505-899-2926
    Email: mdamdor@comcast.net

Description: Come on over to our neighborhood for a Ducks Unlimited Dinner Event. We are looking forward to a grand time with lots of drawings and prizes for all. So grab your neighbor or the fellow down the street and come on over and have a good time and support Ducks Unlimited. We will be lookn' for ya Matt and Dawn AmdorArea Chair

"investigated"

Please note, the story I heard was that these were not tame birds...they were migratory.

Media Guy, can you find a news article?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

click "news story" up top for article.

doesn't say much. an employee put stichnine in a pond and killed some ducks. probably trying to kill geese or fish.

i dont think DU was in charge of hiring the groundskeeper, were they?

they have nothing to explain, IMHO. they are using a nice country club to make money to buy land to help waterfowl.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Sorry fellas I just don't think you're helping the ducks by associating with a company that is killing them in mass....

2oofs right. Why would DU have to explain why a chapter has a limited selection of venues for its banquet and had to pick a country club?

One thing about a few bad apples spoiling a bunch is that it only happens if you let it. Do not let this reflect on DU as a whole. And I hope they stake out and gut the guy who gave the order to fix their duck "problem." Its really more ironic than a black mark for DU.
    \"My idea of fast food is a mallard.\"- Ted Nugent

i thought the article said "several."

when did this become some mass killing?

http://www.abqtrib.com/albq/nw_local...502840,00.html

From Google....

Sounds like an employee got caught with their hand in the proverbial cookie jar...

Not condeming DU at all for their stance or lack thereof...I wouldnt want that facility to host my chapter's event without some sort of strongly worded statement...and I am not saying there isnt a strongly worded statement...just havent seen it yet.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

So would you slate a DU or FF event at a country club that kills the ducks on there pond because the are a nuisance, WILD OR NOT??

I agree, it is phucked up!

Tha would be like having a SCDUCKS outing at Willy Burg's tamie pond....

OK. I'm no rocket scientist, but i bet that the event was planned prior to the USFWS investigation.

I'm sure they are as concerned as you and will work to rectify the situation.

Well I hope that DU gets the space for the event gratis and a big donation.
    Still think they could have chosen an alternate location. I would imagine there are plenty of options in the town that is home to Intel.

Originally posted by 2thDoc:
    OK. I'm no rocket scientist, but i bet that the event was planned prior to the USFWS investigation.

I'm sure they are as concerned as you and will work to rectify the situation.
    I agree
    Runnin Barefoot and Fancy Free

Reads to me, that the problem has been fixed.

Let me first say I haven't read the article and most likely will not. DU in this case needs to explain nothing! That DU chapter most likely knew nothing about the incident of killing ducks. They have to plan a head of time to reserve a place to hold their event and most likely had to put down a deposit to be able to hold the date for the event. If this "duck killing" took place after they reserved the place then how could they do anything about that? If the "duck killing" took place before they booked the date and they weren't aware that the incident took place then what could they do about that and how can they be held resposible? Was the individual that killed the ducks on the committee? If so then YES they have some explaining to do! However, I suspect that the individual was an employee of the country club and was not associated with the DU chapter.

I really don't see the reason DU needs to explain anything.

Now if it were my chapter I'd recomend that we back out of holding the event at that location until the case has been solved! I think the country club would understand the reason why!

Just my $0.02!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

There are 2 links to the article above. Read them. It seems to me a slack employee used the wrong chemical. Steps are being taken to correct the matter. It was an accident. Crap happens.

thats ironic..my parents used to be members at that very same country club! as a 12 year old boy i used to sneak in there and bass fish at night. been 20 plus years since i've beed there but i can remember that 95% of the employees there spoke ZERO english (no habla senor) and my dad used to cuss about it all the time. Prolly some south of the border hombre couldnt read the label on the jug!
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Well I wasn't going to go there but I figured it had to do with some sort of illegal that tunneled accross the border to get one of those jobs that supposadly Americans don't want.

So I guess now DU has to come up with an answer to the illegal alien problem on the Mexican border! Give me a break! In NO WAY should the DU chapter have to answer anything if in fact this is the case!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Squatty- They are using human catapaults now. Watch MythBusters. They proved the whole thing.

The date of the report was Feb. 28th. I guarantee they set that location prior to that. There is no way the chapter had knowledge about it. I would be shocked to find out otherwise. Now it would be funny if they got to hold it there for free if the chapter sent some committee members out to do some whackage and help them out with the "problem" but I do not know too many Juan Pablos that are big into duck hunting in the U.S. so seems like everything is on the up and up to me.
    \"My idea of fast food is a mallard.\"- Ted Nugent

My point which seems to have escaped this discussion is that they may not want to associate themselves with an organization under investigation for posioning ducks. At no time have I said DU was at fault for this happening, that they do not plan their events in advance or anything of that nature, though I would be upset if I found out they were transporting illegal aliens into the country. It may not be a bad idea to try and find an alternate location for the event if possible as it does not look so great in print or pictures.

i had Exxon gas in my truck the day the Valdez crashed. I dont condone filling the oceans with oil, but i sure as hell wasn't gonna syphon the gas out to prove a point.